Mozilla Firefox 3.0 Alpha 2

Yes but you are using Firebird on that screenshot (why ain't it called FireFox on yours?) and I was on about FF 2.0 final. and Even if you can get that skin for FF 2.0, it still doesn't look half as good as the deafult IE 7 look in Vista:

Just look at the transparency on the uploaded image and the brilliant icons in the toolbar:

No, I am using Firefox 2.0.0.1. I am also running the Firesomething extension...

And you assume that I like the default look of IE7. Thanks for reminding me how hideous it is, though (even if it is much better than IE6). Your complaint is that Firefox looks bad on Vista. I don't think it does. I DO think the default skin for Firefox looks horrible, regardless of which OS you run it on. My point was that if you don't like the skin, use a different one, don't blame it on Vista problems, because Vista has little to nothing to do with how it looks. Yeah, it'd be nice if Firefox supported the glass effect inside of the window border. It'd also be nice if you could hide the menu bar. Most apps that most of us use today aren't made explicitly for Vista, and they don't have such UI options, either. Hell, even Office 2007 doesn't use glass, aside from the window border. They all still look just fine, anyway.

I think Darrian is using the Vista Black Beta theme from here.

Yep, that's the one.

Edited by Darrian

If your Firefox is using 150MB + and you only have a couple of tabs or extensions, you've got something wrong with your install, i have 8 tabs open, 5 extensions (the other 15 or so are disabled), and it's only using 130MB of memory (and it's been open for a day and a half)

Of course, there is nothing wrong with Firefox (or any other app, you going to complain that Photoshop uses a lot of memory?) using a lot of memory, especially when it's not a leak (there is a option you can enable to force it to deallocate memory it's stopped using (so it clears it's in memory cache), gives you a small number you seemingly want, and makes Firefox slower to boot! (since it has to reallocate the memory you forced it to deallocate)

My fault. I that 150,000+ kb usage with 3 tabs and 5 extensions was excessive. Apparently I am wrong. Oh well, adblock still pwns.

I never get memory usage that high with many tabs open, no matter how long ff is open. mire firefox rarely uses over 70.

firefoxkw1.th.png

Well, just to get a few things straight.

The new caching features were suggested as one possible explanation for increased memory use by one developer (who isn't involved with Firefox development anymore). One problem devs have with this massive memory leak is that noone can reproduce it consistenly. There are numerous small memory leaks but nothing that could leak several hundred MBs. The only Firefox version leaks that kind of amounts of memory for me are the recent trunk builds, but that is a known issue.

Like any other program Firefox definitely has bugs, but to say that Firefox/Gecko code is more bloated and bug ridden than other browsers is ridiculous. I bet that on average popular open source programs have higher code quality than closed source programs, simply because more eyes on the code = more bugs found. (This doesn't mean that open source programs are better by default).

True, but at the same time, however, they can run it a memory tracer whilst running it, and track down the memory leak.

But this goes right back to the original argument I had against it; the stupid idea of XUL - making something more complex than it needs to be; quite frankly, if I were Firefox today, I'd ditch XUL or come up with a more simpler replacement, create a new front end based on Qt 4.x and it would fix a damn alot of problems in one go, and finally have a uniform widget set for all platforms.

What do you mean when you say it offers more functionality? I don't see much difference of the features between IE 7 and FF 2. Sure FF has more extensions than IE has add-ons, but that doesn't matter; most of them are pointless! Also FF does provide the option to have different skins. Well you don't need this in IE 7, 'cause the default skin is just so sexy in Vista! So what do you mean when you say more fuinctionality? Unless I'm forgetting some of FireFox's features? (Who, might I add, copied IE 7 on individual 'X' buttons on each tab and still haven't got the "QuickTabs" function like I:D7 :D)

That's what I meant in the first place when I said "look good in Vista" lol. A glass effect on FireFox might make it at least a lil bearable for :D. :D

Go away troll.

What do you mean when you say it offers more functionality? I don't see much difference of the features between IE 7 and FF 2. Sure FF has more extensions than IE has add-ons, but that doesn't matter; most of them are pointless! Also FF does provide the option to have different skins. Well you don't need this in IE 7, 'cause the default skin is just so sexy in Vista! So what do you mean when you say more fuinctionality? Unless I'm forgetting some of FireFox's features? (Who, might I add, copied IE 7 on individual 'X' buttons on each tab and still haven't got the "QuickTabs" function like IE 7 biggrin.gif)

That's what I meant in the first place when I said "look good in Vista" lol. A glass effect on FireFox might make it at least a lil bearable for me. biggrin.gif

but you fail to miss the biggest strength of firefox, extentions, you want quicktabs?

showcasezo8.th.png

So what do you mean when you say more fuinctionality? Unless I'm forgetting some of FireFox's features? (Who, might I add, copied IE 7 on individual 'X' buttons on each tab and still haven't got the "QuickTabs" function like I:D7 :D)

I'm fairly certain Opera had individual close buttons quite a while before IE7 did (Safari too IIRC)

To objectively discuss FF's memory leakage, everyone should uninstall their extensions and themes, otherwise it's just useless talk about individual user experiences, which doesn't count **** in such discussion. =p

but you fail to miss the biggest strength of firefox, extentions, you want quicktabs?

showcasezo8.th.png

Yeh but you get those by default in IE 7 - Who in their right mind wants to waste loads of time (especially on dial-up) searching for multiple extensions and an awesome skin, when you can get an awesome skin and all the features you need in IE 7 by default.

Most of FireFox's extensions are pointless, I mean who wants the weather in their browser? Especially when they can get it on their Live.com page or their Vista SideBar?

I'm fairly certain Opera had individual close buttons quite a while before IE7 did (Safari too IIRC)

OK then, IE copied Safari and Opera with that function (Just like they copied Safari with tabs); but what annoys me is that a lot of people, especially n00bs, think that FireFox created a lot of features, even tabbed browsing, when it was in fact Safari and Opera who intiated a lot of FireFox and IE 7 features.