Make your Vista's admin account acts like in XP

1- Click Start, and type "secpol.msc" in the search area and click Enter.

Using Vista Home Premium: No Items Match Your Search

Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately I jumped the gun and didn't read the entire thread and went ahead and created a new Admin Account but preferred it when Vista would boot up and load straight away (without picking an account). My newbie question is how do I delete the *new* Admin account..? I have tried to do it and the option is not there. :blink: I can delete my old Admin Account but would rather not.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately I jumped the gun and didn't read the entire thread and went ahead and created a new Admin Account but preferred it when Vista would boot up and load straight away (without picking an account). My newbie question is how do I delete the *new* Admin account..? I have tried to do it and the option is not there. :blink: I can delete my old Admin Account but would rather not.

Thanks in advance!

As far as I know you can't delete the new admin account since it's the main computer adminstrator, the only way to enjoy the XP's admin experience AND in the same time the straight login, is by deleting your old admin account.

If you want to revert everything as it was, you just revert the steps you did " bu setting disabled to enabled etc".

As far as I know you can't delete the new admin account since it's the main computer adminstrator, the only way to enjoy the XP's admin experience AND in the same time the straight login, is by deleting your old admin account.

If you want to revert everything as it was, you just revert the steps you did " bu setting disabled to enabled etc".

Thanks again! This solved my problem...You're great!! :)

You're welcome Hypnautica!

And the big news: The guide has been updated to provide the required steps for Vista Home Basic/Home Premium! Enjoy ;)

You're welcome Hypnautica!

And the big news: The guide has been updated to provide the required steps for Vista Home Basic/Home Premium! Enjoy ;)

Dude, you rock! You are da MAN! Seriously tho, thanks.

is not being in administrator account 24/7 really that bothersome? I know the UAC is with no doubt but I haven't had very many issues so far.

I don't really know if this would be the best solution though, surely there is a way of enabling this type of functionality to any account that is a member of administrator via Manage?

Thanks again Tantawi!

I did a clean install with my Ultimate key and followed your instruction's and I haven't seen a UAC prompt or anything like it yet. I'm in full control all the time like it should be. Cheers from Canada Mate!

Well... basically that deactivates UAC, doesn't it?

Alternatively one could also use Run --> msconfig --> Tools --> Deactivate User Account Control :)

Better method imho :)

MrFujim it seems you didn't read the first post ;) , as I clearly stated...

We know UAC feature in Windows Vista, and we all know how to disable it, this is not the purpose of this thread, because even after you disable UAC, you'll have other prompts about folder/file permissions errors sometimes (I faced it in strange, unexpected occasions, like deleting an empty folder for a program left by the uninstaller), or you'll need to right click and select "Run as Administrator" for most applications to work/install correctly.

After this method, we're restoring the exact functionality of XP's administrator account to Vista, UAC will not prompts for anything even if it's left ON, because your administrator account will be in control for everything and elevated by default (as in XP).

MrFujim it seems you didn't read the first post ;) , as I clearly stated...

After this method, we're restoring the exact functionality of XP's administrator account to Vista, UAC will not prompts for anything even if it's left ON, because your administrator account will be in control for everything and elevated by default (as in XP).

Woops... *cough* *cough*

Well, ehm, nevermind ;)

Thank you thank you thank you thank you x infinity.

I won't be upgrading my desktop to Vista for quite a while (the benefits of it that I would use don't justify it's price to me. Plus I'll wait for other people to test it). Not to mention I can't imagine torturing my beautifully built PC with it. :)

However, I got a laptop today. And it came with Vista Home. After tweaking it a while, installing programs on it and getting quite irritated that some things wouldn't install or work even with run as Administrator and UVAC turned off. I remembered this guide I read earlier. So now I'm running it as the real admin and I have to redo everything again. -_-. But at least the things irritating me before when it was giving me problems aren't anymore. :)

On a sidenote. I wish you could build laptops.. this Vaio came with so much junk installed -_-. I'd buy a bare bones one but my dad wanted one where he could pay it off in a monthly plan with no interest for a certain amount of time.

God this is like saying you want to always run as ROOT in linux 24/7.

Something that about 100% of security experts will tell you to NEVER do.

Of course the majority of security experts assume the user doesn't know what he/she is doing. True it's better to run as a limited user. Though I disliked being hassled or taking an extra step in getting my desktop or laptop to do what I want it to do.

I do run as a limited user in Linux however, and that's simply because in Linux I do alot of tweaking and messing around. Which normally means I can screw something up. But for Windows computers, the damage I could do is pretty minor. And as for security threats. Well last time I was infected with anything was back in the 1990s. And that's because I was a kid, playing a game and not knowing alot about computers. And someone sent me a trojan just so they could get into that account.

Much more wiser now.

This is exactly what I thought...

Seems like some people always need to complain, XP was not save becouse you work as administrator, now they solved that issue and now they are complaining again!

Microsoft has build in this feature not to attack their users but to defend them, so those people who do work as administrator in Vista all day long shouldn't complain about Windows as soon they got malware and stuff on their computer.

I'm also not too happy with the UAC, its quite anoying when you want to cleanup your start/programs, but if this helps to keep the OS clean and stabil i'm happy.

God this is like saying you want to always run as ROOT in linux 24/7.

Something that about 100% of security experts will tell you to NEVER do.

Make your Vista's admin account acts like in XP, Always in full control

Funny that made me laugh.

Make your Vista's admin account acts like in XP, You and Virus attacks are Always in full control.

In XP I used to run as Limited User. It was a pain to create batch files and various tools to get Limited User to perform some tasks as Admin. With UAC in Vista all this trouble is gone. Whenever Admin access is required it just pops up.

controluserpasswords2vigv6.jpg

I have also enabled Administrator account from Computer Management

administratorenablevistxp5.th.jpg

which is another way to enable Administrator account in Vista/XP.

Edited by McoreD