Make your Vista's admin account acts like in XP

Hi,

I have vista ultimate.

I follwed the steps to 3rd point:

For Windows Vista Ultimate/Business/Enterprise:

1- Click Start, and type "secpol.msc" in the search area and click Enter. (You may receive a prompt from UAC, approve/login and proceed)

2- In the left list, choose "Local Policies", then "Security Options"

3- Set "Accounts: Administrator account status" to Enabled.

BUT i dont have "User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account" under the "Security Options".

PLEASE HELP!

• 1 month later...

Thanks alot Tantawi. I found an easier way even:

1) Start Menu > Type: "cmd"

2) Right-Click on CMD then "Run As Admin"

3) Type the following:

net user administrator /active:yes

4) Now Log-Off & you will see Admin Account.

• 1 year later...

Can I suggest you add a disclaimer to your first post explaining disabling UAC takes Vista's IE7 Protected Mode with it.

This basically lowers IE7 to a Limited User (lower than the Semi-Admin you're logged in with). This is something IE7 users may not be aware of, even if you enable Protected Mode from Internet Options it stays disabled (just like UAC). There is a fix however.

If you want UAC disabled but Protected Mode on use DropMyRights which was written for XP but works just the same in Vista (I tested it last night), not only that but using it actually turns Protected Mode back on (i.e - instead of saying Protected Mode: Off it will say On). Therefore proving Protected Mode and DropMyRights are on and the same thing.

What is DropMyRights I hear you say, read on: http://msdn2.microso...y/ms972827.aspx

It was written by a Microsoft bloke but isn't officially supported. I use the /c switch to make it even more secure. I've been using it for months and bar ActiveX installs (which need admin rights) not one website has fallen over. You can prove it works by trying to save a file into the SYSTEM32 folder, it won't let you.

The great thing is it's completely seamless, works on XP or Vista (probably 2000 too) and lets you get the good bits out of UAC without the bad. Just set the shortcut for each Internet enabled program to use it and make sure you choose Open "Minimised" and it's seamless.

Any alternative to do it a different way rather than this way?

The correct response is

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!!!

I never understood why people hated UAC in vista. I used Vista up until the RTM of 7 came out. Am I the only one in the tech community that felt safer being prompted by UAC?