Convince me to upgrade to Windows Vista

You want to convince yourself of upgrading to Vista! Visit Paul Thurott's Supersite for Windows. It has been carrying out exclusive features of almost all OS es ever since they were released.

And by that time Linux is already a good desktop system, and more people will prolly support it, and more games will hopefully support *Nix

:laugh: Bahaahahaah

I personally upgraded to Vista cause I got a free copy from Power Together. Might as well put it to good use.

Some of you act like I demand for you people to make me upgrade to it. The truth is I'm still in the middle of the fence about the upgrade. My system can fully support it & I could easily shell out the money for it. But the question is, is it worth it at this very moment? Or should I wait a few months for bugs to be fixed & buy a laptop with in pre-installed. I think I save a little more $ that way. But dangit, it looks so cool. Thanks for those to post their advice & recommendations.

And by that time Linux is already a good desktop system, and more people will prolly support it, and more games will hopefully support *Nix

How many years have people been saying that?

There are some slight inconveniences I've encountered using software. I installed Media Player Classic and foobar2000, for example, and I can't set them as the default video/audio players for media file types. It's most likely a security measure to keep me from altering the registry even though I am the administrator. The firewall (Comodo) I normally use on my XP machines is incompatible, apparently. So as of now I would say that the upgrade can wait until software gets updated to get the kinks out of Vista compatibility. I definitely prefer it over XP, though.

Why the hell should we convince you? We dont care if you upgrade.

Convince yourself.

With that attitude, there's no reason to browse these forums. The guy just needs help if he needs to upgrade or not--maybe you took the wording the wrong way.

With that attitude, there's no reason to browse these forums. The guy just needs help if he needs to upgrade or not--maybe you took the wording the wrong way.

Yeah Neowin has gotten a little worst because of this. No one can really ask anything anymore without getting flame for it.

Just the other week, I saw a post for some personal advice, yet someone has the balls to make fun of the his/her situation. I see this & it makes me want to throw my laptop across the room.

Some people should really listen to their mommy when they were young. "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

One reason why I love visiting this board is the of the diverse groups across the globe. You can learn a lot by a member's culture, age, values & such.

In my conclusion after this thread is that I'll wait a few months before upgrading. Thanks to those who helped.

How many years have people been saying that?

Too many :|

Until someone doesn't develop a universal packaging system that will be supported by the major linux distributions that offers an easy way to install/update/uninstall applications, including drivers, Linux will remain a geek-only thing. The fact that some have RMP's, .Deb's, .Pkg's, and whatever other packages specific for them, it won't go anywhere. Yes, choices are nice to have, but as of now, the choices avoids any of them from becoming the top.

Well I had Vista Business installed on a "Vista Capable" notebook, and I had blue screen's all the time due graphic card drivers.

The notebook uses the nvidia go 7 series card, which currently has no driver for vista.

So I had to return to XP...

I used a FUJITSU SIEMENS AMILO Pi 1556

There are some slight inconveniences I've encountered using software. I installed Media Player Classic and foobar2000, for example, and I can't set them as the default video/audio players for media file types. .

What ever you doing wrong you did lol I can use any program like that for default, but the best one I think is VideoLAN for default.

What ever you doing wrong you did lol I can use any program like that for default, but the best one I think is VideoLAN for default.

Download Media Player Classic yourself and see if it works. foobar2000 plays an error sound whenever I click "Associate All" and refuses to check any boxes for associated file types. Media Player Classic will check the boxes but it doesn't really associate them. Running them in compatibility mode doesn't do anything either.

i january of 2009 windows XP will no longer be supported...... however vista will be obsolete

WAKE UP GUYS.

you fell asleep at the keyboard and were sleep typing again. figured i would wake you up.

LOL

OKAY! But get it and use it, get used to it!

Next year, when you upgrade your hardware, the OS is ready for it and you won't have to upgrade then.

Drivers are available, SP1 has been released resolving a lot of problems....

GO FOR IT NOW!

I thought SP1 isn't out yet?!?

SP1 isn't out. They're working on it. Why not just dual boot with XP until you are comfortable with using Vista as a primary OS?

Actually what I did, and works perfect. Only downside is the size of partition needed in order for a well working Vista.

Absolute minimum is 14 GB, however more is encouraged.

I do not know your financial situation, but if you think it's a bit too dear to buy a copy of Vista, just skip it.

It offers many new functionalities, but probably not enough to sacrifice a large portion of hard earnt money.

Hope this helps.. :)

I wouldn't bother just yet.

Wait for a SP, better drivers, better apps, compatibility etc.

I'm holding off, and I own two copies of the thing! lol

Advising my customers the same thing for now