Students use IM-lingo in essays

SOURCE

ORLANDO, Florida (AP) -- Middle school teacher Julia Austin is noticing a new generation of errors creeping into her pupils' essays.

Sure, they still commit the classic blunders -- like the commonly used "ain't." But an increasing number of Austin's eighth-graders also submit classwork containing "b4," "ur," "2" and "wata" -- words that may confuse adults but are part of the teens' everyday lives.

This "instant messaging-speak" or "IM-speak" emerged more than a decade ago. Used in e-mail and cell phone text messages, most teens are familiar with this tech talk and use it to flirt, plan dates and gossip.

But junior high and high school teachers nationwide say they see a troubling trend: The words have become so commonplace in children's social lives that the techno spellings are finding their way into essays and other writing assignments.

"The IM-speak is so prevalent now," said Austin, a language arts teacher at Stonewall Jackson Middle School in Orlando. "I'm always having to instruct my students against using it."

Vicki A. Davis, a high school teacher at Westwood Schools in Camilla, Georgia, said she even finds the abbreviated words in term papers.

"I'm Southern, but I wouldn't use the sayings, "squeal like a pig" or "kick the bucket," in formal writing (because) some people may not understand," Davis said. "IM-speak should be treated the same way."

Fourteen-year-old Brandi Concepcion, a pupil of Austin's, said wit, da and dat -- used in place of with, the and that -- sometimes creep into her homework.

"I write like that in the rough draft, but I try to catch the mistakes before I turn in the final draft," she said.

Some educators, like David Warlick, 54, of Raleigh, North Carolina, see the young burgeoning band of instant messengers as a phenomenon that should be celebrated. Teachers should credit their students with inventing a new language ideal for communicating in a high-tech world, said Warlick, who has authored three books on technology in the classroom.

And most avoid those pitfalls once they enter college, said Larry Beason, director of freshman composition at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, Alabama.

"Some of the same kids that I teach now were probably guilty of techno spellings in high school," Beason said. "But most students realize that they need to put their adolescent spellings behind them by the time they get to college."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Oh ya, College will be the big wake up call for most, and rightly so.

If not, this will easily help help keep the society divided in classes of the educated and the well, not quite so educated.

Life sure is a beech.

Glad I study amongst all AP/IB classes and don't have to deal with people that commit this sort of nonsense errors. As a student myself I think it's ridiculous that someone can spell like that online, much less on an essay. If the student is THAT disinterested in his study, drop your lazy bum out of school and be the failure you're out to be anyways.

To me I don't rlly give care if ppl began writing like that simply because language continually evolves and that's a good thing. It's not like academic English has been static, you don't see any of us writing in Shakespearean style do you. <snipped> in 200 yrs people will be writing totally different, and it'll prlly look sumin lik this, so why try to stop it ?

Edited by barneyt

Using shorthand like 'b4' and '4ever' are not easier than spelling things out on an IM client. Its easier on a cellphone because its hard to enter words. People use these things on IMs just because its cool not because its 'ideal for communicating in a 'high-tech world' according to David Warlick. People used things like 'b4' and '4ever' and 'xoxo', etc in notes and other shorthand before the Internet was widespread, also. This isn't an invention of IM.

Things like ROFL and LOL are an Internet thing (BBS) though, because they spell out actions, and you don't need to use these in paper notes. And emoticons. But shorthand writing isn't an invention of the Internet.

But that kids don't use them isn't because someone may not understand it, of course they can. Its ridiculous that kids forget that they stand for an actual word though. Some teachers will say that its shows laziness in thinking. That can be true but it misses the point. Its just hard to pose serious points and serious arguments in essays with spellings like 'ur' and 'dat' and 'b4'. Teachers need to stress that style is a part of communication, and you have different ability to communicate with different style. Although teachers can be understanding of students, they should be writing essays like they're putting forth serious arguments, and not just doing the assignment for the sake of the teacher.

To me I don't rlly give care if ppl began writing like that simply because language continually evolves and that's a good thing. It's not like academic English has been static, you don't see any of us writing in Shakespearean style do you. in 200 yrs people will be writing totally different, and it'll prlly look sumin lik this, so why try to stop it ?

People didn't exactly talk in Shakespearean style at the time either. The style was used by Shakespeare for the rhythm. Some spellings and uses of words were differen't though.

But things like that.. 'rlly' will always be short for 'really' even if language evolves. I don't think its bad that people use shorthand. Its just a matter of attitude in writing; and I don't think academic papers are the best place for it. Especially when students forget that it stands for a real word.

Edited by barneyt

I agree. Personally, I'm only 20, but I hate it when people use that kind of language. It shows how apathatic you become about things, and you can't really be taken seriously. I grew up in the 90's, when we were taught how to do cursive...nowadays, the art of cursive isn't as promient as it was in the 90's.

Call me old-fashioned, but I still write emails like I would a formal letter, and I talk normally on AIM. I rarely use words like "LOL", "lmao", "wut", etc - it's okay if you're lazy on IM, but be sure to take your assignments seriously.

I think in blogs or message board postings go for it but when it comes to my professional emails or writings I'd NEVER use IM shorthand. They should at least be smart enough to know when and when NOT to use shorthand and the earlier they learn the better. I would never respect my finances to a company that used "b4" or "4ever" in a prospectus.

I agree. Personally, I'm only 20, but I hate it when people use that kind of language. It shows how apathatic you become about things, and you can't really be taken seriously. I grew up in the 90's, when we were taught how to do cursive...nowadays, the art of cursive isn't as promient as it was in the 90's.

Call me old-fashioned, but I still write emails like I would a formal letter, and I talk normally on AIM. I rarely use words like "LOL", "lmao", "wut", etc - it's okay if you're lazy on IM, but be sure to take your assignments seriously.

Andy

seriously a lot of people do it just because its cool. its not really harder to spell things out on IM either.

people i know are starting to use things like LOL less because for example most times people use LOL, they really arent laughing out loud. it just kind of seems dishonest and fake. now people are just going 'heh' or 'haha' or whatever.

Starting out letters and emails with a

Dear Madame is corny.

Ending letters with a Sincerely is corny.

It's just outdated stylization and needs to be put to rest. This argument can be applied to many things. People stopped writing in cursive for convenience. People stopped turning in regular hand written material in favor of a Times New Roman word documents for convenience. Therefore obstructing the evolution of language is wrongful in this case.

Starting out letters and emails with a

Dear Madame is corny.

Ending letters with a Sincerely is corny.

It's just outdated stylization and needs to be put to rest. This argument can be applied to many things. People stopped writing in cursive for convenience. People stopped turning in regular hand written material in favor of a Times New Roman word documents for convenience. Therefore obstructing the evolution of language is wrongful in this case.

Just like writing to your friend with 'Dear Sir' and ending it 'Sincerely' sounds stupid, using 'b4' and 'dat' in an essay sounds stupid the same way. Using 'b4' in an essay you look as silly as someone addressing their friend in a letter as 'Dear Sir' while being completely serious.

Just like writing to your friend with 'Dear Sir' and ending it 'Sincerely' sounds stupid, using 'b4' and 'dat' in an essay sounds stupid the same way. Using 'b4' in an essay you look as silly as someone addressing their friend in a letter as 'Dear Sir' while being completely serious.

What's constitutes serious to you is completely subjective. 'b4' sounds more serious to me than 'before', it doesn't sounds stupid to me. However 'Dear Sir' and 'Sincerely' is stupid to me because it restricts language. It's as if I have to write in a certain way to get a point across. That's wrong. It's as if you're the person 200 yrs ago criticizing the youth for writing 'olde' as 'old' and now thinking that it's informal to write 'dat' instead of 'that'. As long as you can convey what you want to the person you want, then it's all fine to me. But not letting language progress ain't right.

Btw I caught wind of your 'ebonics' jab at me. uncalled for.

True, optimised-for-technical-writing words are MUCH more communicative than those short-hand script-kiddy-wanaby crap. And in english, none of that should be used. The language should be developed not simplified. The simplification of words such as these simplifies the train of thought in one's mind. And a simple mind is the last thing the world needs. Read: 1984.

The language should and will progress. Let's just try to guide it's progression in a desirable manner instead of letting it go on a free-flow into the abyss.

I dont see how you can compare 'olde' to 'old' with 'before' to 'b4'. When i read a post that is filled with b4, cuz, dat,...ect I just stop reading. I can understand if you need to type like that on a cell phone but if you have a keyboard in front of you dont do that. Its not progressing language.

side note: Im So HaPpY PeOpLe DoNt TyPe LiKe ThIs AnYmOre

What's constitutes serious to you is completely subjective. 'b4' sounds more serious to me than 'before', it doesn't sounds stupid to me. However 'Dear Sir' and 'Sincerely' is stupid to me because it restricts language. It's as if I have to write in a certain way to get a point across. That's wrong. It's as if you're the person 200 yrs ago criticizing the youth for writing 'olde' as 'old' and now thinking that it's informal to write 'dat' instead of 'that'. As long as you can convey what you want to the person you want, then it's all fine to me. But not letting language progress ain't right.

Btw I caught wind of your 'ebonics' jab at me. uncalled for.

Sincerely doesnt restrict language. Anyone who taught you that you have to use that in letters was wrong. But then, I don't think they expected that if you wrote a letter to your friend you would be that formal. The point of sincerely is politeness and people still think its important in certain cases. The point was that if you were writing to some official, and wrote it out and just ended it flat, it would be odd and be oddly impolite. Not that writing to your congressman isn't corny itself nowadays, but think if you wrote him a letter, you'd end it with something, not necessarily Sincerely, but with something, like Thanks, or whatever you thought was appropriate. People still end letters with something like 'Thanks', but even that may sound impolite say if you were writing a letter to the President.

I'm sure you get the idea that sometimes it just makes more sense to use language in certain ways. It's not about restricting people, its just a matter of fact that your writing style is part of how you're communicating.

Do you know how pretentious it is to use numbers to shorten words in writing assingments, like 'b4'?

Its just there are reasons people use the writing style they do. If you're in the middle of an essay and start a sentence 'Btw', its odd first because your argument is supposed to be continuous and sustained, and btw statements are sort of out of place. Essays dont address a person anyway. But shorthand in general is just strange, because you're already formatting what you're writing. You title your paper, begin sentences with capital letters and use punctuation, arrange into paragraphs, but then use 'b4'? Its just pretentious. Not silly, pretentious. People use shorthand because some things are better written in shorthand. If you're already writing things out in an organized essay format, using '4u' and 'b4' is dumb.

I deleted part of my last post because I thought it wasn't important. But like I said, teaching people to be able to read style and adjust their own style is part of English class.

btw it wasnt young people that changed 'olde' to 'old'. kids didn't have any real role in shaping culture until last century.

In 200 yrs people will evolve to have 3 eyes, and will begin to write "with" as "wit", just like how 200 yrs ago people started to write "olde" as "old".

'wit' and 'with' aren't even the same word. The day spelling words with numbers is widely accepted is the day society fails at life. It's not gonna happen, as much as you may want it to.

-Spenser

In 200 yrs people will evolve to have 3 eyes, and will begin to write "with" as "wit", just like how 200 yrs ago people started to write "olde" as "old".
Ah yes, God bless those one-eyed 1800's folk. :rolleyes:

Language evolves over time, yes, but "olde" and "old" are real words - "b4", "l8r" and "g2g" aren't real words, they're a jumble of letters and numbers. There's a difference between an evolving language and plain old laziness. Common use of these abbreviations will eventually lead to a lack of basic language and spelling skills and a generally dumber society over, let's say, 200 years as you suggest. Using them for texting and possibly IM is acceptable, but it should not be allowed or supported at school, and I believe students should either get severely lower marks or an automatic zero if they use this language at all in any sort of school work.

Everyone so far has just assumed that these words are part of the English language when in my opinion they are two seperate languages

I would consider abbreviations a type of slang rather than a part of the language.

When a young man applies for his first job and types up a cover letter with:

Dear Sir:

How are u?

That resume is straight into the trash - professionals know what to look for. So imho it's a non-issue. Teachers should adapt and learn the terms so they can be familiar with them and act upon misuses. To dismiss them entirely as a "OMG UR WORLD IS D00m3d lolz" outcome is unreasonable.

A smart teacher would use these terms in study to connect to his class, get them to think critically about their use, maybe have the class come up with a new abbreviation. Maybe English class wouldn't suck so much.

Wow. If I were a teacher, I would give immediate F's for any IM speak in homework.

There's no doubt about that and then definitely let the person know how illiterate I thought they were!!

I've become really agitated (sp?) with IM speak, and only use it in 2 places now: Texting, because of the character limit, and big IM conversations, because it's important to convey a message fast. Other than that, I may use light abbreviations in IM, but nothing as severe as the girl who sent me "hu is dis? lool"

It doesn't take much longer to write "who" instead of "hu", does it?

Some educators, like David Warlick, 54, of Raleigh, North Carolina, see the young burgeoning band of instant messengers as a phenomenon that should be celebrated. Teachers should credit their students with inventing a new language ideal for communicating in a high-tech world, said Warlick, who has authored three books on technology in the classroom.

Damn n00b. That's silly.

When I was taught how to write essays, I was taught a number of rules: Structure, pace, language, and so on. One major factor was knowing your audience. A well written essay is more than just the content, it's how the content is written. As such, using IM-shorthand is not appropriate and should be marked down.

Suppose you have a course on neuclear physics. Your coursework may be to write an essay on the subject. In which case, you should use formal language. However, if your brief were to write a blog entry on the subject, the language would be different. Why? Target audience.