Still no way to force Aero?

• 1 year later...

Alright, i've done my homework. I've looked ALL over the internet and I've seen many different opinions. One that got my attention though, "shouldn't it be up to the user to decide whether they are satisfied with their Aero experience? Why should it be up to Intel/Microsoft?" <-- This is not an exact quote word-for-word, but that's close enough to what I've read/remember. And if all these registry hacks and useless other tricks don't work with Vista, there MUST be a way of tricking Vista into allowing the XPDM drivers to run Aero ONCE AGAIN, for it did allow it in the RC releases. There are some of the best coders out there with so much experience, and I really DOUBT there is absolutely no method of tricking Vista into thinking this. Man, WindowBlinds doesn't even work for me..if there was at least some theme that would work with the Vista Basic theme... it's so dissapointing.... shelling out 400$ just so Microsoft can basically say: Screw You!!!!!!!!! You don't have this one thing, so you can't run Aero! Muahahahaha. P.S. Thanks for donating 400$!

Alright, i've done my homework. I've looked ALL over the internet and I've seen many different opinions. One that got my attention though, "shouldn't it be up to the user to decide whether they are satisfied with their Aero experience? Why should it be up to Intel/Microsoft?" <-- This is not an exact quote word-for-word, but that's close enough to what I've read/remember. And if all these registry hacks and useless other tricks don't work with Vista, there MUST be a way of tricking Vista into allowing the XPDM drivers to run Aero ONCE AGAIN, for it did allow it in the RC releases. There are some of the best coders out there with so much experience, and I really DOUBT there is absolutely no method of tricking Vista into thinking this. Man, WindowBlinds doesn't even work for me..if there was at least some theme that would work with the Vista Basic theme... it's so dissapointing.... shelling out 400$ just so Microsoft can basically say: Screw You!!!!!!!!! You don't have this one thing, so you can't run Aero! Muahahahaha. P.S. Thanks for donating 400$!

Nice Job bumping an old thread. There is a REASON they don't have the WDDM driver:

okz19, how is enabling Aero going? Have you gotten the real Aero to run yet with your 1337 registry "hacks?"

Intel offered a video explanation as to why there is no WDDM driver for 915. In short, 915 doesn't have a hardware scheduler. WDDM requirements state that a video solution must contain a hardware scheduler for a driver to be certified WDDM. No WDDM = no Aero.

http://softwareblogs.intel.com/2007/04/02/...iver-for-vista/

Fine, but why can't there be something modified for it to work as it did work in the betas? I know it can be done. I can't take no for an answer. What about even a beta driver or something... everyone complaining about the people preoccupied for the 915GM WDDM driver is ignorant, for they have more powerful graphics. If you all had the 915GM, you all would understand where me and 100,000+ users come from.

Alright, i've done my homework. I've looked ALL over the internet and I've seen many different opinions.

You obviously missed the one that counted, Microsoft's, because I'm pretty sure if you'd ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor it would have told you your system was incompatible with Aero. Then if all you were really after in Vista was Aero you could have made an educated, informed decision rather than whining about dropping $400 (doubtful to begin with, you're obviously upgrading your system so you would have paid about $230 for Ultimate, or $159 if you went for Home Premium).

Fine, but why can't there be something modified for it to work as it did work in the betas? I know it can be done. I can't take no for an answer. What about even a beta driver or something... everyone complaining about the people preoccupied for the 915GM WDDM driver is ignorant, for they have more powerful graphics. If you all had the 915GM, you all would understand where me and 100,000+ users come from.
Umm, hacking something with actual code and changing meaningless registry settings are quite different things. He was correct, no amount of registry "tweaking" is going to make Aero work without a WDDM driver.

In beta 2, the DWM supported a "legacy" mode for non-WDDM drivers, but it didn't work too well and was cut.

The code that allowed that previously is GONE. Give it a rest and move on with your life.

Because you don't just make a driver, it requires a lot of knowledge of the hardware, good programming skills and a lot of testing. And posting your WDDM driver probably won't work unless yours is designed for the 915.

Because the entire DWM relies heavily on WDDM.

WDDM requires on features that your card cannot support.

The DWM and the graphics system running on a copy of Vista today are NOT the same as they were during the betas. They've been changed considerably. What's hard about that to understand?

You could probably buy a $40 video card that could run aero perfectly any way. There is no way you are going to get aero running on the 915.

I thought I already addressed this, but apparently some threads just never die.

A long, long time ago (beta 2 or earlier) there was some experimental code that would emulate the functionality required by the WDDM on XDDM (XP) drivers. It had more than just performance problems. It had graphical tearing all over, incompatibility with some Direct3D / WPF / OpenGL apps, and just generally sucked. Working on it would have sucked up a lot of time, since contrary to popular belief, Microsoft does not have infinite resources. Other features would have been cut, or quality would have been lost elsewhere.

The benefit would have been minimal, since it would have only expanded the list of compatible cards slightly (still need to be DX9 capable). The experience on those cards would largely suck anyway since they're slower/older especially at any great resolution. It just wasn't worth it.

That code is long gone, and you cannot "turn it on" because it simply isn't there. It was never finished and was ripped from the codebase just like plenty of other ideas that didn't pan out.

If you want the DWM, but a WDDM compatible card / machine. They aren't hard to find. If you have a laptop or something that can't support it, then you'll just have to make due with the Vista Basic theme until you replace it.

I think the major bitch here is these laptops or desktops that were sold as vista compatible should.

have said vista basic [no aero] and we would be done with it.

also why would you want to force it?wouldnt it be easier if you had a compatible graphics card and it would be enabled for you?and if not stick to whatever the system gives you until you upgrade.

I think the major bitch here is these laptops or desktops that were sold as vista compatible should.

have said vista basic [no aero] and we would be done with it.

Honestly, I think the biggest problems came about because of the similarities between the SKU naming, the logo program naming, and the visual style / theme naming.

This resulted in:

1) Lots of people not realizing that Home Basic can, in fact, run the DWM (you basically get Aero without the transparency or Flip 3D).

2) Lots of people thinking that Vista Premium PC means it runs Home Premium, but the Vista Premium logo program and Home Premium have nothing to do with each other.

3) Other people thinking that Vista Capable machines run, or need to run, Home Basic. That is not the case.

It might have been clearer if Home Basic didn't support the DWM, and the logo program said "Vista Basic" instead of "Vista Capable." Then it might have been clearer that Basic == No Aero. And the Home Premium and higher stuff could have just had higher system requirements than Home Basic or something.

Instead you can have a Vista Premium PC with Home Basic and get the DWM and really have a perfectly fine PC for most home computing tasks (just no media center / tablet sort of stuff).

Or you can have a Vista Capable machine running Ultimate, and not have Aero / DWM at all. It works fine, but you just can't use some of the advanced features you paid for (or can't use them without a perf penalty) because they require better hardware.

Anyway, I think most people realize things could have been named / marketed better.

Why doesn't someone here make a driver? Or, If it would work, I could post my Aero-Compatiable driver.

Nine reasons why "someone here" DOESN'T make a driver:

1) They must have the permission of Intel to do so, since Intel owns the micro-code.

2) They must have the permission of Intel to do so, since Intel owns the micro-code.

3) They must have the permission of Intel to do so, since Intel owns the micro-code.

4) They must have the permission of Microsoft to do so, since Microsoft owns the code to its OSes.

5) They must have the permission of Microsoft to do so, since Microsoft owns the code to its OSes.

6) They must have the permisison of Microsoft to do so, since Microsoft owns the code to its OSes.

7) The Intel 915 series of onboard graphics chips do not have the necessary hardware to enable Aero.

8) The Intel 915 series of onboard graphics chips do not have the necessary hardware to enable Aero.

9) The Intel 915 series of onboard graphics chips do not have the necessary hardware to enable Aero.

All the backward engineering in the world will NOT make up for a HARDWARE lack, no matter how much one desires it.

Got it yet?

Count your losses, and get on with your life...Stop crying over spilt-milk.

Donald L McDaniel

I believe blame should fall on Microsoft for releasing a very unnecessary version of Windows - Home Basic. Microsoft, you got what you wanted - confusion. The fact that you can get Aero in higher versions and not Home Basic confused the lot of people believing Aero simply disabled in Home Basic.

I hope all they are trying to accomplish by turning aero on is just to get transparencies. That is the only thing good about aero. The rest gets old REALLY fast. To the point that that when I install vista I turn off all Fades and animations and leave Transparencies.. Makes for a much more responsive system.

I believe blame should fall on Microsoft for releasing a very unnecessary version of Windows - Home Basic. Microsoft, you got what you wanted - confusion. The fact that you can get Aero in higher versions and not Home Basic confused the lot of people believing Aero simply disabled in Home Basic.

Home Basic is fully capable of running the DWM, however. In fact, it does so if you have a WDDM capable card with a WDDM driver.

What it doesn't do is let you have Glass effects.

I hope all they are trying to accomplish by turning aero on is just to get transparencies. That is the only thing good about aero. The rest gets old REALLY fast. To the point that that when I install vista I turn off all Fades and animations and leave Transparencies.. Makes for a much more responsive system.

Having the DWM running should result in a more responsive UI with no window tearing/artifacts/etc like Windows XP had. For instance, when an app freezes, you can still move the window around/move stuff over it and not lose its window contents, unlike under XP.

Home Basic is fully capable of running the DWM, however. In fact, it does so if you have a WDDM capable card with a WDDM driver.

What it doesn't do is let you have Glass effects.

Actually, you get "glass" - you just don't get transparency. I'm not even sure the transparent look is necessarily better. The difference is pretty small.

Home Basic is a perfectly good OS. Far better than its predecessor, XP Home, ever was.

What you guys dont understand is that without glass things like windows movie maker wont run also. ITs horrible that just because microsoft wont release a driver people have to live with a crippled os.

Yes by doing this it cripples the os since you actually cant run certain programs. By the way these same programs run under xp.

ITs not just pretty graphics that you cant have it also is some of the programs of the OS itself.

Vista actually throws out an error stating that you cant run movie maker because of the driver.

What you guys dont understand is that without glass things like windows movie maker wont run also. ITs horrible that just because microsoft wont release a driver people have to live with a crippled os.

Yes by doing this it cripples the os since you actually cant run certain programs. By the way these same programs run under xp.

ITs not just pretty graphics that you cant have it also is some of the programs of the OS itself.

Vista actually throws out an error stating that you cant run movie maker because of the driver.

Microsoft made a version of Movie Maker for non WDDM Hardware, you have to download it from here Windows Movie Maker 2.6 for non WDDM Hardware

Edited by neo158

Learn to read, please. This has been addressed in this very thread several times.

Microsoft doesn't write these drivers. You cannot write a WDDM driver for non-WDDM hardware.