ATI or Nvidia?

Well, due to my crappy Intel? 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family> display adapter, Aero is not available on my Vista Home Premium install. I've read about problems regarding drivers for Nvidia. ATI is another choice. Looking for aninexpensive> PCI Express card for my system. Suggestions would be appreciated. :DD

VistaComputerInfo.png

VistaComputerInfo2a.png

Edited by Uncle Spellbinder

I'd wait a little while and let both companies deal with the problems they are having with Vista first.

I'd thought about that. It probably is the best way to go, for the time being, I suppose. Though I'd love to have the full Aero experience, everything else is ROCK SOLID for me. ;)

ATI. ATI's drivers for Vista are rock solid, and they perform just as well or better than XP in most cases. There are the few cases where it is a bit slower - but they are way ahread of Nvidia. Nvidia may have faster hardware right now (8800 series) but the x19xx series is by no means slow, and their driver support shows they know what they are doing, they deserve your money.

Using an 1900XTX .... no problems with the ATi drivers so far.

The only problem i had with the BETA ATi drivers was no OpenGL but now thats sorted ive not really noticed much of a difference (however i dont run benchmarks so im sure there are some FPS loss since the drivers are relitivly new).

I can't comment on NVIDIA's drivers since ive not used an nvidia card under vista yet, but ATi seem to be doing fine right now so.

EDIT: The main driver issues i have are with Creative.

ATI is currently ahead in the driver department with one exception... there OpenGL although finally accelerated looks like crap.

But other than that, yeah ATI is the way to go (my ATI x1600 performs about as well as my Nvidia 7800GT)

Well, I'm not completely happy with Nvidia's drivers atm , but they are running Aero fine. Games however is another story and I think this is where most of the dissatisfactions comes with all the drivers on both sides right now. So, if you just want the Aero in Vista either 'should' handle that just fine.

One problem I have that I'm very unhappy about is that I can't let Vista go into sleep mode or when it wakes it's just gibberish and I have to restart.

Nvidia's drivers are definitely way further behind ATi's at this point, however Nvidia's probably got hardware available that will last you longer (8800 series) due to the native DX10 support. As a few have said, i'd wait it out to see if a few things happen: A) Nvidia wakes the hell up and puts out drivers worth skipping work for, B)ATi puts out a DX10 card that's on par with the 8800, C)ATi's drivers for card described in B are reviewed to be worth it (since original release drivers rarely are anything to call home about)

Looking for an inexpensive PCI Express card for my system. Suggestions would be appreciated.

How do you define inexpensive. Whats your budget? I'd go with ATI if less than $300.

::winXpert::

what IS your budget? you can get a real good card for pretty much any price range.

i have a nvidia geforce 7300gs by pny, and it goes great with the forceware for vista; all my games go better than on xp even though the drivers aren't finished!

inexpensive huh..mine was $79 @ best buy about 8 months ago, and its very good. plays ANY game, all high settings @ 1280x1024 (my 19" lcd monitor's max res).

Well, judging by the driver issues with Nvidia, seems ATI would be the way to go (unless as the 2nd post suggests, I "wait a little while and let both companies deal with the problems they are having with Vista first").

As far as budget, I'd like to stay under (U.S.)$150.00. I'll look into ATI and see if there's anything in that range (or less) that has Vista supported drivers.

The x1650 is a decent choice and can be had for under $150. Gives me a 4.8 for desktop (aero) and 5.1 for gaming on the Experience Index.

Thanks! I'll have a look. ;)

In the latest beta Forceware 100.64 drivers nVidia has removed support for Geforce FX series I guess, my AGP FX 5900XT is no longer supported in it :( , I am also looking for a cheap graphics card to run Vista Aero, since the rest of the system is good enough (P4 3.06 GHz, 1 GB RAM)

i found this on XFX site, it's AGP but there is also a PCIe model available ,XFX PV-T73D-UAL3 NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB DDR2 AGP, it has more then enough horse power to run Aero

ATI for now and im waiting for the R600 to come into benchies and also how it costs retail etc.

ATI Opengl is non existant right now but otherwise, superior to nvidia atmo

I have ATI X800 XT and I am playing Oblivion on 1024x768 with all details on maximum. This is like a little behind the time card but runs really well. It is 16, 6, 256 bit and 256 mb. Solid card for less then $300 Canadians. Under Vista I got score 5.9 for the graphic card. On XP pro with Omega drives this card is really monster. Under Vista drivers are still in beta but runs also very good. No problems at all. If you want DX10 card then you better wait a little more. ATI is coming soon with the DX 10 cards.

Yes, X850 XT is a very good card im using it and it is very good with latest driver playing games and movies and everything in vista and XP with good looks :)

why are they all ati?!?!?

nvidia makes the best stuff around, they made the first dx10 cards.

how much are you willing to spend?!?!?!?

heres my card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814133016

this one here is kinda nice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814150216

if u have no price range, look at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814133187

if u r looking for something within 150, this would be what i would get ($120): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130073

if u r looking for something mid-price range, here ya go: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130048

if u aren't worried about how good drivers work, go for nvidia. if u r, go for ati, but nvidia makes the best stuff around. even though the drivers aren't fully compatible with vista, they still go just as good.

I have gone back and forth for years and with ATI I was always trying to play catch-up. Seemed to always have some frame rate or stuttering issues no matter what my configuration or tweaking did. I now have settled with Nvidia and am very glad I did. I rarely have to tweak any settings to play my games in full graphics.

Just my 2 cents ;)