Pal Wii: How to get Gamecube games running 480p?

I think the title says it all :p

I have a PAL (Australian) Wii with component cables, as well as some PAL gamecube games. Unfortunately they dont look too good on my HDTV due to the low resolution. 480p/576p output should be a considerable improvement...but I dont know how to do this..or if it's even possible. I've read about using Freeloader...is it the only way?

Thanks for any help!

Something about holding the B button when you load the game... That's what you did on the GC, then it would ask you if you wanted to enable progressive scan. On the Wii you probably hold the B button on the GC controller when you select to boot the game from the menu.

I don't have a Wii and I'm in NTSC (U) territory, so this is just conjecture for your situation. Good luck!

No need to push a button on the Wii. If you've got it set to progressive scan in the settings menu then it'll automatically enable it in any GameCube games that support it.

No need to push a button on the Wii. If you've got it set to progressive scan in the settings menu then it'll automatically enable it in any GameCube games that support it.

Actually that's untrue. You still have to enable it in each game. Depending on the game you either have to hold down b, or it will automatically ask you if you want to enable it when you boot up the game.

Now 480p for Wii games, you only need to enable it in the Wii options.

PAL Gamecube games do not support 480p, only NTSC ones do. There is no way to enable 480p on PAL Gamecube games, either on a Gamecube or a Wii, as the software does not include 480p support.

Actually that's untrue. You still have to enable it in each game. Depending on the game you either have to hold down b, or it will automatically ask you if you want to enable it when you boot up the game.

Now 480p for Wii games, you only need to enable it in the Wii options.

Sorry, but I believe you are wrong. I've played a few games, in prog scan, on my Wii, and have never had to select the setting, other than in the main Wii menu.

Sorry, but I believe you are wrong. I've played a few games, in prog scan, on my Wii, and have never had to select the setting, other than in the main Wii menu.

Uh.. No you're wrong. I have a reasonable Gamecube collection, and my television tells me which video mode the game is using.

How do you expect video settings in the Wii options to effect the Gamecube backwards compatibility? Only a select few Gamecube games support 480p, and heck not even all Wii games support 480p (Trauma Center for example).

I think you've got Wii games and Gamecube games mixed up. Wii video settings will obviously effect any Wii titles you play. But not Gamecube.

Uh.. No you're wrong. I have a reasonable Gamecube collection, and my television tells me which video mode the game is using.

How do you expect video settings in the Wii options to effect the Gamecube backwards compatibility? Only a select few Gamecube games support 480p, and heck not even all Wii games support 480p (Trauma Center for example).

I think you've got Wii games and Gamecube games mixed up. Wii video settings will obviously effect any Wii titles you play. But not Gamecube.

Hmmm, my Wii must be broken. I just put Resident Evil 4 in, started it, and without holding any buttons down the game asked me if I wanted to run with progressive scan enabled right off the bat. It's also asked me with Zelda, Eternal Darkness, and Metroid Prime.

Hmmm, my Wii must be broken. I just put Resident Evil 4 in, started it, and without holding any buttons down the game asked me if I wanted to run with progressive scan enabled right off the bat. It's also asked me with Zelda, Eternal Darkness, and Metroid Prime.

I think you misunderstood me. What you just described is exactly what is supposed to happen. The guy I was replying to said that you don't have to hold any buttons, and you don't have to select "yes" when the game asks you if you want to play in progressive mode. He said it was all automatic due to 480p being selected in the Wii options, which has nothing to do with the Gamecube.