Opera unveils "Speed Dial"

The really cool thing is that it renders the thumbnail dynamically, adding the speed dialled page into the cache. When you do click it, it is already cached and loads near instantly. Hence the "speed" dial :)

That is, if you use cache. ;)

Personally, I set my cache to 0, so that I don't have to refresh pages that are stored in cache (Digg, forums, etc.).

^ I found cache to be the most annoying feature of Opera. I had to hard refresh every damn page, unless I changed the default settings.

Yeah same here I was using Opera earlier for the first time in a little while and I wanted to keep up to date with something and I had to change the settings so when I refreshed it changed but saying that I still really like the browser...

yep, that and it renders pages differently, making ti an afterthought by most web developers.

yes, Opera renders them according to the correct specs of the HTML standards.

Fact is, if coders made their pages work correctly in Opera, they would probably work at least in firefox and shouldn't need that much work to be just as good in IE. instead of coding one IE versions and a completely different FF version and then blcokgin everything else. like google with their spreadsheets, wich used to work in opera(though you had to mask as ie or FF) but now it's completely broken.. suspicius that it would suddenly break in opera and only work in the most used web browser and the Google supported alternative...

It's good to see that Firefox will now have something new to add to their browser. They usually follow Opera. :)

Hate mail to the usual address, please.

Personally, I set my cache to 0, so that I don't have to refresh pages that are stored in cache (Digg, forums, etc.).

Just set your Opera to check documents "Always" and images to "every 24 hours" .. cache is helpful for website images atleast...

yes, Opera renders them according to the correct specs of the HTML standards.

Fact is, if coders made their pages work correctly in Opera, they would probably work at least in firefox and shouldn't need that much work to be just as good in IE. instead of coding one IE versions and a completely different FF version and then blcokgin everything else. like google with their spreadsheets, wich used to work in opera(though you had to mask as ie or FF) but now it's completely broken.. suspicius that it would suddenly break in opera and only work in the most used web browser and the Google supported alternative...

Opera has its own quirks, and the elitist idea that standards are everything is really getting old.

Unless Opera takes over a significant section of the market, like FF has, it wont be considered by most major web developers.

And the only way to Opera to take over FF is to get a better mod base to bridge the gap in terms of features.

Interesting feature. Speed Dial could come in handy for me.

So is it now available in the stable 9.1 build, or something that's being added to 9.2?

Just set your Opera to check documents "Always" and images to "every 24 hours" .. cache is helpful for website images atleast...

Never thought to do that, thanks for the tip!

drygnfyre- It's in the weekly build.

So you guys know we discuss this feature for about 10 minutes in the latest NeowinCAST News Edition. As per our usual style, we expand upon it a bit and look at what this feature means in the grander scope of web browsing and software.

When i try to replay this thread and to add a smily from the dropdown my Opera 9.2 crashes, am i the only one?

Same here. Never had this odd problem before, only with this build.

The previous 9.20 build was just working fine.

When i try to replay this thread and to add a smily from the dropdown my Opera 9.2 crashes, am i the only one?

I found a workaround for this: In the Smily dropdown, click on "Show All". In the "Emoticons" tab that appears then, you can click on any smilies without any problem :cool:

Sorry but I don't really see this as revolutionary or as something no other browser has. In Safari, command + 1 (through 9) does pretty much the same thing, except for the thumbnails. And those I don't really like anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I like Opera. But I'm a bit disappointed by this. It is a nice feature, but the way they talked about it before it should've been something way more innovative.

Sorry but I don't really see this as revolutionary or as something no other browser has. In Safari, command + 1 (through 9) does pretty much the same thing, except for the thumbnails. And those I don't really like anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I like Opera. But I'm a bit disappointed by this. It is a nice feature, but the way they talked about it before it should've been something way more innovative.

i tend to agree, they talked about it like its going to change the world, its just a nice feature.

still, opera atw

I also don't like that, i have moved to another browser since opera 7, however i still think that opera is an amazing browser, hey i even paid for it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back.

It's nice to see opera still going strong. (Y)