2yo girl barred from Manchester pool for not being Muslim

Like I said in my earlier post, there was alot of crap over putting up xmas decorations because certain faiths don't believe in it - all of this in the UK... we used to be able to do as we pleased in our own country, now you can't do anything without stepping on someone elses toes - I guess what I'm saying is, people can believe in what they want, as long as it doesn't mean we as a nation have to radically change our lifestyle.

The difference is that in Canada, once you have stayed here for 3 years and taken the oath of citizenship, you become a Canadian. At that point you have equal rights and obligations as any of citizen, regardless of how far back you can trace your lineage. A citizen is a citizen is a citizen. The public pool is as much their pool is it would be my pool.

In Canada, I don't see any decision made to appease anyone. We simple treat each other with respect and we try to do the right thing. Christians may get some accommodations in some areas, Muslims may get accommodations in other areas, Sikhs in others, etc... Just like men and women, we are equal but different. It all comes down to respect and tolerance and that is something that is taught in kindergarten. In fact, it is probably the most important thing that is taught in kindergarten.

Well the UK is one of the countries with the highest number of immigrants, we already do alot for immigrants genuine and otherwise. We have almost double the population Canada does and alot less land.

I just wouldn't be happy seeing discriminative rules and laws brought it for certain religions. Taking people in and treating them as your own is one thing, changing the way people born and bread in the country live to suit outsiders is another.

Well the UK is one of the countries with the highest number of immigrants, we already do alot for immigrants genuine and otherwise. We have almost double the population Canada does and alot less land.

I just wouldn't be happy seeing discriminative rules and laws brought it for certain religions.

Toronto has a higher percentage of foreign born residents than London, UK. About half of our population is a visible minority. Toronto knows a thing or two about diversity and immigration.

Toronto has a higher percentage of foreign born residents than London, UK. About half of our population is a visible minority. Toronto knows a thing or two about diversity and immigration.

You're comparing London to Toronto, what are the statistics of the UK to Canada, or the UK to France/Germany/Italy? (immigration wise)

edit: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/imm_asy_...-asylum-seekers

Can't make much sense of them statistics, but you catch my drift.

The UK are more than tolerant.

Edited by Phixion

Unless they are monopolizing the available access times to the pool I don't see an issue. If I book a pool party there I wouldn't be very happy if they just allowed people off the street in either.

You're comparing London to Toronto, what are the statistics of the UK to Canada, or the UK to France/Germany/Italy? (immigration wise)

edit: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/imm_asy_...-asylum-seekers

Can't make much sense of them statistics, but you catch my drift.

The UK are more than tolerant.

We take a similar amount of asylum seekers per capita. In terms of the overall new citizenship rate (due to immigration, refugee claimants, etc...), Canada is first (6.54169 thousand per 1 million people) and the UK is 13th (1.36 thousand per 1 million people). The pace of growth from immigration within Canada is the fastest in the world.

The first wave of data from the 2006 Census reveals Canada has the highest population growth of all G8 countries (5.4 per cent since 2001)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...tory/Front/home

Recently we had our population grow by 400,000 from new births and by another 1.6 million from immigration. That is to say that immigration is outpacing domestic births by a ratio of 4:1

Edited by Fred Derf

• 2 weeks later...
We take a similar amount of asylum seekers per capita. In terms of the overall new citizenship rate (due to immigration, refugee claimants, etc...), Canada is first (6.54169 thousand per 1 million people) and the UK is 13th (1.36 thousand per 1 million people). The pace of growth from immigration within Canada is the fastest in the world.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...tory/Front/home

Recently we had our population grow by 400,000 from new births and by another 1.6 million from immigration. That is to say that immigration is outpacing domestic births by a ratio of 4:1

How big is Canada in area compared to England, I put England as asylum seekers and immigrants don't want to live in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland?

How big is Canada in area compared to England, I put England as asylum seekers and immigrants don't want to live in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland?

Most of Canada is unused space so our overall population density is very low. Our arctic north is, for the most part, completely uninhabited (about 100,000 people spread over a huge expanse).

The vast majority of immigrants settle in our larger cities.

If you want the actual size of Canada, however, it is 9,984,670 sq km in total area. What I was trying to say before, however, was that this number is meaningless without context.

Comparatively, England (about 53% of the UK by area) is about 130,000 square kilometers. However, unlike Canada, just about all of that is usable.

Canada is a densely urbanized country (more so than the United States, for example). Keep that in mind.

Most of Canada is unused space so our overall population density is very low. Our arctic north is, for the most part, completely uninhabited (about 100,000 people spread over a huge expanse).

The vast majority of immigrants settle in our larger cities.

If you want the actual size of Canada, however, it is 9,984,670 sq km in total area. What I was trying to say before, however, was that this number is meaningless without context.

Comparatively, England (about 53% of the UK by area) is about 130,000 square kilometers. However, unlike Canada, just about all of that is usable.

Canada is a densely urbanized country (more so than the United States, for example). Keep that in mind.

And soon it will be another Middle-Eastern country :p