to everybody who is switching back to XP form vista

I've installed it and although it's not an amazing leap it's good enough to be called an upgrade. I just like everyone else has been experiencing problems but mostly down to drivers or lack there of. The difference between Windows and OS X releases is when you upgrade from one version to another all your hardware and software still works on day one. No need to wait 6 months. But with Windows, a year maybe year and a half before everything is running as smooth as the older release. It's a shame that things are that way.. just how the cookie crumbles :/

You know, it's funny how similar everyones reactions are compared to Windows XP's release. This don't work, that don't work, the system requirements are to high, my games don't play, blah blah blah... For months after XP was out, people complained left and right, some swore up and down it would be a cold day in hell before they used XP. OMG WTF BBQ SAUCE!! Windows 98 rocks! XP Sucks!, was plastered all over the forums.

If your one of few that just can't seem to let go of XP, your not alone. You are among friends, who share your beliefs that XP is the next greatest thing to Top Ramen. Hang in there, eventually the lil quirks that send you into a toddler like raging fit, will eventually get fixed just like XP.

Anyways, now that I got that out... For those that are trashing their Vista DVD's, please don't, some of us aren't filthy stinkin' rich and can afford to plop down fat $$$ at a moments notice. PM me if you have the urge to toss the thing into the garbage, I'll be more than willing to take it off your hands.

I just bought a new pc and played with Vista for 3 days. After I disabled about 95% of the running services and turned aero off, guess what I had? Windows XP only a lot less stable. Poor OpenGL support was the last straw. I am just too lazy too master another OS. I formatted the new HDD and put XP Pro on it. XP on a new pc with dual cores and 2 gigs of RAM freakin flys!

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=543853

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=545119

Two very long threads started 4 days apart about people going back to XP from vista. In these threads there's lots of people agreeing with what the original posters have to say. I've already stated I don't have any figures, and I never used any numbers in this thread.

You're falling into a common trap on these boards where you generalize a tech-savvy community to the whole market. I guarantee most of the end users out there aren't having problems because they don't care to delve nearly as far in as people here do. Most people that will have this aren't nearly as tech-savvy and can't be bothered. And they probably wouldn't know how to go back to XP if they even thought about it, so it's really a moot point.

Don't overgeneralize. There are far more people that aren't switching back than are.

-Spenser

You can return opened software to like 0.1% of stores and even then it is very difficult. My question is, why did you buy it before doing your research on it? In fact, why buy anything if you are not sure it is what you need? You do not need to return it because eventually you WILL be using it. They are releasing more and more drivers for vista now so really I see no reason why you might not want to be using it. It is more secure than XP, it has more useful features, it looks better so what is the reason you aren't happy with it?

on what? I do homework, browse the internet, listen to music, chat in AIM. I have XP installed and use it for nothing.

Well let me see anything you can not do on a Mac.

You can return opened software to like 0.1% of stores and even then it is very difficult. My question is, why did you buy it before doing your research on it? In fact, why buy anything if you are not sure it is what you need? You do not need to return it because eventually you WILL be using it. They are releasing more and more drivers for vista now so really I see no reason why you might not want to be using it. It is more secure than XP, it has more useful features, it looks better so what is the reason you aren't happy with it?

O he never did buy he is just hating on cool Vista users.

guys.. Don't flame the guy. He was just asking if some of the guys like myself who went back to XP from ****ta were doing, if we were returning it or not. Plan and simple. SOME of you need to stop turning every thread by a Mac user into a Mac Fanboy hate thread...

P.S. I do not have a Mac nor do I ever plan on owning one, but I have to say Mac has the best commercials..

To answer your question on my end I have mine up on the shelf waiting on Microsoft and these horrible drivers companies to fix their stuff then I will reinstall.

Let's not forget that tons of peeps got Vista business for free, including me. Like I said in another thread, I'm not gonna bother with installing it.

It makes a great conversation piece when you hang it on the wall ;)

I got Vista Ultimate for free back in December when Microsoft gave them out to beta testers. Have been using it since and have had no major issues. There are some issues of course but will be fixed in due time. I should also say I am not an amateur computer user so I have learned a fair bit of things over the years like how to properly protect myself from viruses, spyware, worms, trojans etc, not install the first random crap I come accross...things like that. Many people think that if they have anti-virus, firewall and spyware protection they can do anything they want and not get infected....couldn't be more wrong. You can have all those things and still get infected if you don't exercise proper computer behavior. All I have is NOD32 anti-virus, no software firewall, no spyware protection. I just have NOD32 and windows defender. I do regular scans and have not been infected once.

My copy of Vista was free and I never activated it. I was smart and used the 30 days to test it out and I came to the conclusion that I wasn't ready to make the change YET. Vista is nice and I will at some point move to it, just not right now.

Let me see if I can be clear...STOP FLAMING him. Insulting someone because of their choice of computer, vehicle, clothes, etc is about as immature as it gets. If you cannot handle yourself in such an intense topic of discussion, don't bother reading.

Now, back to the initial topic...

For those of you who are switching back to XP from Vista, are you stuck with the Vista discs/key, or can you return it at all? Maybe get a refund from MS?

It just seems so lame that so many people are converting back to XP after buying Vista, and it doesn't seem right that you can't return a product you don't feel is decent.

Let me see if I can be clear...STOP FLAMING him. Insulting someone because of their choice of computer, vehicle, clothes, etc is about as immature as it gets. If you cannot handle yourself in such an intense topic of discussion, don't bother reading.

Now, back to the initial topic...

What you have got to understand is that this dude has edited his post. In the original version he made it out that 50% of people who tried Vista were returning to XP. He was pulling numbers out of his ass based on 2 threads of whiny little NeoBrats. THIS IS WHERE THE FLAMING comes from. Get a grip on your site dude.

As I have said many times before ->

1.The Neowin population does not represent the general population. We are a subset of seemingly immature, but brighter than average computer users. We DO NOT represent the status quo, by far.

2. The people who are having no problems with Vista, or any other product for that matter, are not starting threads about it. Only the ones that are having problems are being vocal and raising their whiny little voices.

Clear enough?

What you have got to understand is that this dude has edited his post. In the original version he made it out that 50% of people who tried Vista were returning to XP. He was pulling numbers out of his ass based on 2 threads of whiny little NeoBrats. THIS IS WHERE THE FLAMING comes from. Get a grip on your site dude.

As I have said many times before ->

1.The Neowin population does not represent the general population. We are a subset of seemingly immature, but brighter than average computer users. We DO NOT represent the status quo, by far.

2. The people who are having no problems with Vista, or any other product for that matter, are not starting threads about it. Only the ones that are having problems are being vocal and raising their whiny little voices.

Clear enough?

Perhaps I wasn't clear when I asked everyone to get back on topic. I could care less if you don't like how he worded or edited his posts. You don't have to post here. Clear enough?

If you have a problem with a mod or a moderating action, take it to PM.

Edited by Chad

I'm on the fence with this one. I have XP and Vista Ultimate installed on my computer, but can't decide which I want to stick with. I've been having some weird hard drive issues in Vista lately so I've been using more and more of XP.

But to answer your question about returns ... the policy where I bought it states that any software requiring a license cannot be returned once opened. They will replace the CDs if damaged but no returns. I also don't think Microsoft would do returns ... but who knows.

<snip>

HAHAHAHA. That's the stupidest thing I've seen all day, you claim that most of the folk who dislike Vista are "Mac Fanboys"? LOL

FYI, I know a fair share of Mac Haters that hate vista.

Also, WTF at "Pretending".

Edited by Chad

<snip>

I like how people hate an OS when in real life they hate themselves. I hope you get to not know these Mac haters or any hater. Obviously Vista is the best cause there is a new topic about it every 2 seconds.

Edited by Chad

Exactly my point, there were already 2 threads but as a Mac user who's not even used the product you felt the need to start a third one....

learn to to be so grouchy for crying out loud.

MrMunka's post was very helpful, and was the sort of thing I was looking for, not to be insulted by a nobody.

learn to to be so grouchy for crying out loud.

MrMunka's post was very helpful, and was the sort of thing I was looking for, not to be insulted by a nobody.

Me 'grouchy'? I'm not the one who started a negative thread about a product I've never used, the very definition of grouchy.