F1 World Championship 2007 Thread

Formula One World Championship 2007  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the world champion this year?

• F. Alonso
    • L. Hamilton
    • G. Fisichella
    • H. Kovalainen
    • F. Massa
    • K. Raikkonen
    • J. Button
    • R. Barrichello
    • N. Heidfield
    • someone else...
  2. 2. Which team will win the Constructors Cup?

• McLaren
    • Renault
    • Ferrari
    • Honda
    • BMW Sauber
    • Toyota
    • Red Bull
    • Williams
    • Torro Rosso
    • Spyker / Super Aguri

and no, i am not spanish, i am from austria, and i liked following drivers in the past: berger, hakkinen, coulthard, raikkonen, montoya, hill, villeneuve, and currently i like alonso and massa. all of them for various reasons, but nationality was never a part of it.

Then why do you have such a strong dislike for Hamilton? Do you honestly think that Alonso has been a better driver during this year? Hamilton has been exceptional for a driver (let alone a novice), with great performances in the wet and on unfamiliar circuits. I also think it's interesting that you left Schumacher off that list.

i think hami is ugly. he looks ugly. thats my opinion. why should it be untrue? isn't it just subjective if you find someone good looking or ugly?

Of course looks are subjective but within reason - it would be unreasonable for instance to call The Elephant Man pretty or Kate Moss ugly. You might not think he's attractive, and that is completely understandable, but to say he is ugly is unmerited and, more importantly, just being used to have a dig at him in the context you put it. If you look at the definition of ugly you find it states: "very unattractive or unpleasant to look at; offensive to the sense of beauty; displeasing in appearance" - I don't see how he can be put into that category. I'm not trying to tell you what you should find attractive or unattractive but I think you are being unreasonable and using it merely to put him down rather than there being any merit to the claim.

He failed himself in the last two races due to his own (rookie) mistakes

He was let down in the final race by a bad team strategy for pitstops and he was let down earlier by the team by keeping him out until his tires wore through - without the earlier mistake he would likely be world champion by now. So while he has obviously made mistakes (very few for any driver, let alone for his first season) I think it was several bad decisions by the team that cost him the championship.

Anyway, I'm not trying to start a fight. I'm just pleased that after so many years of the sport going downhill and lots of silly regulations / changes to try to make it more exciting that we finally have an entertaining and compelling sport again. Masa has done well and could be a contender for the championship next season, along with Hamilton, Alonso and Raikkonen.

Why oh why did he run a 3 stop? :<

Also did anyone else see the Bernie 'no personality' Ecclestone interview with Brundle on the grid?

He said he wanted Raikkonen to win, and maybe it wasn't Lewis' time to win this year!? It's a fix i tells ya!

looks like i'd maybe have to modify that quote.

what do we have already?

the crane, hungary, fuji, interlagos quali, interlagos race.

sport is dead.

and i remember mosleys reaction after interlagos 95 affair.

i fear the worst for raikkonen (undeserved) and ferrari (deserved).

so you're saying that cheating shouldn't be punished? (if they cheated)

all i gota say is hamilton is a rookie, and for a rookie hes the best driver F1 have seen in a long time let alone England. he deserved to win it this year with some of the driving hes done.

roll on next season and then we will see,

Unlucky hamilton!!!!

The FIA has confirmed that the fuel temperatures of the BMW Sauber and Williams cars were outside the regulations during the course of the Brazilian Grand Prix.

As the race stewards continue to investigate the matter to decide on whether or not a punishment is necessary, a statement issued by technical delegate Jo Bauer revealed the extent of the temperature variation of the cars involved.

Article 6.5.5 of the Formula One technical regulations states: "No fuel on board the car may be more than ten degrees centigrade below ambient temperature."

The statement issued by Bauer showed that Heidfeld's fuel was 13 degrees centigrade lower than ambient at his first stop and 12 degrees centigrade lower at his second stop.

Robert Kubica's fuel varied by 14 degrees, 13 degrees and 13 degrees at his three stops; Nico Rosberg's fuel was 13 degrees and 12 degrees out at his two stops and Kazuki Nakajima's was 12 degrees out at his first stop. His second stop was inside the 10-degree limit.

Spyker technical chief Mike Gascoyne said he believed the variation would have provided a performance advantage.

"It can be five to ten horsepower easily," he told autosport.com. "The car is producing a performance advantage during the race. If they dump fuel in that is below the limit, it is an illegal performance advantage. They should be excluded from the event, there is absolutely no doubt."

The implications of a disqualification for the BMW and Williams drivers would be huge, as it could potentially move Lewis Hamilton up the order into fourth place.

In such a case, Hamilton would be crowned the world championship.

I would feel sorry for Raikkonen if it is the case. While Hamilton fully deserves the title if he has been cheated out of it by cars using illegal fuel, Raikkonen hasn't cheated or done anything wrong, yet loses the title.

I would feel sorry for Raikkonen if it is the case. While Hamilton fully deserves the title if he has been cheated out of it by cars using illegal fuel, Raikkonen hasn't cheated or done anything wrong, yet loses the title.

I agree. I don't think it'd be a very nice way to end the season really and I'm sure Hamilton would rather win out right on the track rather than due to a technicality off the track and after the race is over. Although like you say he would still deserve it if that was the case.

Then why do you have such a strong dislike for Hamilton? Do you honestly think that Alonso has been a better driver during this year? Hamilton has been exceptional for a driver (let alone a novice), with great performances in the wet and on unfamiliar circuits. I also think it's interesting that you left Schumacher off that list.

alonso was much better during the year. you can't forget who made the mclaren that fast and reliable. hamilton hardly ever setted up the car for himself he needed alonso to do it. and who did all the development work over the winter? certainly not hamilton, but alonso together with some renault engineers he brought with him to his new team.

why should i add schumacher? one of the biggest cheaters in f1 history. (adelaide 94, jerez 97, monaco 06). he was just lucky wdc under favourable conditions (exclusive tires from bs and lame drivers like barrichello or irvine as teammates)

Of course looks are subjective but within reason - it would be unreasonable for instance to call The Elephant Man pretty or Kate Moss ugly. You might not think he's attractive, and that is completely understandable, but to say he is ugly is unmerited and, more importantly, just being used to have a dig at him in the context you put it. If you look at the definition of ugly you find it states: "very unattractive or unpleasant to look at; offensive to the sense of beauty; displeasing in appearance" - I don't see how he can be put into that category. I'm not trying to tell you what you should find attractive or unattractive but I think you are being unreasonable and using it merely to put him down rather than there being any merit to the claim.

ok so i call him not good looking then. is that acceptable for you? :p

I agree. I don't think it'd be a very nice way to end the season really and I'm sure Hamilton would rather win out right on the track rather than due to a technicality off the track and after the race is over. Although like you say he would still deserve it if that was the case.

I don't think Raikkonen would want to win because 3 cars have cheated either though. The problem is these 3 cars have now ruined the meaning of the drivers championship. Maybe the championship should be voided, or given to someone who hasn't been in controversy this year - Sutil maybe?

They were already cleared but their penalties could have only affected the driver's championship results. BMW would have ended up as 2nd and Williams as 4th.

BMW were well clear, but Williams were fighting Red Bull into the last race - they were only 4 points ahead.

@mclaren2: Alonso has not driven his best this year at all. I have followed him since he drove for Minardi through to his first and second WDCs. This year he made a lot of mistakes under pressure - Canada for example, he kept cutting turn 1. There have been similar races, like Fuji. He has had his moments, but overall he has not driven or acted like the driver he was in 2005 and 2006. Hamilton has put him under a pressure he didn't expect - no drivers expect a strong teammate, let alone a rookie!

He did not make the McLaren fast and reliable. McLaren have over a thousand employees who do various things on the car - the driver gives feedback which is extremely important. Alonso and Hamilton will have helped more than Raikkonen and Montoya did because both relate to the engineers better.

The only way in which Alonso "gave" McLaren time was by stealing Ferrari technical information alongside Coughlan and De La Rosa!

It is common for drivers to share car setups. It has been done since... forever. Think about it what is better:

1) Two cars working on their own setup that will mostly end up the same.

2) One car working on one setup and another working on a different setup, giving both drivers two setup options within the period of time it takes to make just one?

Beating down on Lewis all the time isn't sporting. Alonso and his supporters should have relished the challenge. Fighting your teammate is the ultimate challenge and can only make a driver stronger. You should be thinking "well Lewis and Kimi beat Fernando this year, but next year he'll show them who's boss".

Well... Hamilton always used a cheated car...

i am sure they are appealing because Hamilton will win, if there is a case Alonso going to win , i am dead sure they wont even think of appealing. should alonso then appeal to fia for wrong treatment? i was surprised he was so far behind ferraris.

"Kimi Raikkonen was confirmed late Sunday as the 2007 Formula One drivers' world champion when the Brazilian Grand Prix race stewards chose not to penalise two teams for having irregular fuel.

A statement from the stewards at Interlagos nearly six hours after the end of the showdown race, won by Raikkonen in a Ferrari, confirmed the original result of the event."

Source

^^^^ Sorry, I seem to be a bit behind things and/or not reading things properly so please ignore this post LOL!

Good race, Hamilton is simply the best driver I've ever seen in my years of watching F1. He put up a great fight after pretty much blowing the race. He's definitely the face of the future of Formula 1.

So you only started watching F1 this season then?

i am sure they are appealing because Hamilton will win, if there is a case Alonso going to win , i am dead sure they wont even think of appealing. should alonso then appeal to fia for wrong treatment? i was surprised he was so far behind ferraris.

I'm pretty sure they would appeal Alonso too. McLaren want a champion in the team, like any other team would - it's money at the end of the day. The simple fact is that Alonso required a win, and did not do what was neccessary for that. Raikkonen did.

Raikkonen and Massa have both behaved how Alonso and Hamilton should have - proved who is better on the track, not in the media.

I find that the stewards gave no punishment quite ridiculous. They have detected irregularities in fuel temperatures, yet they cannot be punished for the irregularaties as there isn't proof. So why do they check for irregularities, if the measures for detecting irregularities do not quantify as proof of an irregularity? :huh:

I have, over the years, lost all respect for the FIAs ability to uphold the rules of the sport without bias.

The stewards had several problems with the 'proof', for one there were several different official temperatures for the day.. and they couldn't be sure that the fuel temps were measured correctly.

It would be very odd if the drivers were penalized, I think BBC is being delusional with their 'slim hopes' story. At the most they'll take away the constructors points like they did last time when illegal fuel was used.

THe fact that Alonso is a complete ###### is completly irelevant to the fact that he ran Hamilton off the track on multiple occasionas and has behaved in a very un sportsman like mannor for the whole season. Thanks to him Mclaren with the best car have won nothing and Ferrari have once again won everything.