Optimize XP for Dual Core

So would I need Windows XP 64Bit edition for this or no? It's not a problem, just curious.

Just to let you know I've been using Win XP 64bit and applied the amd optimizer and it did help dramatically, mainly for gaming issues where you would get stutters. So trust me it does work for 64bit XP.

Not sure about the registry tweak, but AMD Optimizer does help out a lot.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It seems that the SP3 includes Patch KB896256 - at least the Patch complains, that the Service Pack is newer than the update itself.

Applied the tweaks, system boots up almost twice as fast now.. infact it beats my network init, which it all used to do it at the same time.. now it's system boot up, everything loads, and then the network inits, and it loads in between 5 - 10 seconds. -Don't know if it's actually 5-10 seconds, it seems a lot less, I didn't exactly count it-

Athlon X2 4200 2.2Ghz - Dual Core

Holy crap, another good test, download a 1080p .mov, any, doesnt matter which. Play it, notice the performance, apply said fixes, AMD or Intel, play same video, take note of the performance. I can now play 1080p .mov files like they're nothing. I'm not sure if it was the AMD drivers, since the only ones I installed for my CPU was off of WinUpdate, or the AMD Optimizer, or the registry tweak, but something did the trick.

Edited by -Hiroshi-

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm running SP3 and applied the tweaks suggested here - my computer hasn't exploded yet (running a Turion x2 @ 2ghz), and it might just be me but it seems like it's made a slight improvement. That's probably just me imagining things, though.

Either way, thanks for the guide.

• 1 month later...

Step 1, from reading this topic is only if your Explorer is crashing, right? I've left it out, because it's from 2006 and I don't want older files coming into my SP3 setup.

The registry and boot.ini I've changed. Hopefully this actually works (if it doesn't, then as long as it doesn't screw anything up).

• 1 month later...

none of my programs can use both cores fully at the same time I will explain the problem and then if someone can please tell me if I need to optimise XP, it is SP3.

If I am using an app or game that maxes my cpu (core 2 duo) then both cpus will run at about 50% each alternating up and down but total usage between them adds to 100%. If I goto task manager and set cpu affinity for the app/game to 1 cpu only then that 1 cpu then goes to 100% normally and the other cpu idle. But if I switch it back to both cpus then they both goto about 50% each. I am baffled by this as I have some apps that saturate cpu and they only using half the power in my system, any idea why this happens?

• 1 month later...
none of my programs can use both cores fully at the same time I will explain the problem and then if someone can please tell me if I need to optimise XP, it is SP3.

If I am using an app or game that maxes my cpu (core 2 duo) then both cpus will run at about 50% each alternating up and down but total usage between them adds to 100%. If I goto task manager and set cpu affinity for the app/game to 1 cpu only then that 1 cpu then goes to 100% normally and the other cpu idle. But if I switch it back to both cpus then they both goto about 50% each. I am baffled by this as I have some apps that saturate cpu and they only using half the power in my system, any idea why this happens?

Only apps written for multiple cores can max out mulitple cores. These tweaks work because they help divide the workload up more evenly across mulitple cores. Whereas XP on it's own, tends to send all of the work to a single core.

I'm not sure if it was the AMD drivers, since the only ones I installed for my CPU was off of WinUpdate, or the AMD Optimizer, or the registry tweak, but something did the trick.

Pretty sure it was AMD Optimizer. I too have installed it and it seems to have noticeably improved overall performance. AMD's best software. :D

I have SP3 installed and the patch says I can't use it because its older then what I have.

Is there still a way to install this or is it already installed?

using Intel btw

I have SP3 installed and the patch says I can't use it because its older then what I have.

Is there still a way to install this or is it already installed?

using Intel btw

Service Pack 3 includes this patch and other dual core optimizations.

• 1 month later...
2. Registry Tweaking

(k let's make this clear, the next two steps i take no responsibility, if you eff up your system that is your problem, but this DOES work, make sure you do exactly as I tell you)

Go to the registry edit via the run command. (Windows key + R---> type in "regedit"). Look for this HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager and then look for the key (or folder) named Throttle. If it's not there, right click Session Manager, go new and then Key. Name it Throttle. In there there should be a DWORD called PerfEnablePackageIdle make sure the value = 1. If not, make it say 1. If the key is not there, create it. Right click an area in that box, and go new DWORD. This will increase performance A LOT.

I didn't have a folder 'Throttle', so I created it. But it did not have a DWORD by that name. I'm assuming that the DWORD is this:

2008-11-26_1740.png

I didn't have a folder 'Throttle', so I created it. But it did not have a DWORD by that name. I'm assuming that the DWORD is this:

<snip>

In there there should be a DWORD called PerfEnablePackageIdle make sure the value = 1. If not, make it say 1. If the key is not there, create it. Right click an area in that box, and go new DWORD.

@Green- Gah, I don't know why I didn't read it the first time. It's like it wasn't there.

Also, since it isn't mentioned, should I set the Base to numerical or hexadecimal?

@Green- Gah, I don't know why I didn't read it the first time. It's like it wasn't there.

Also, since it isn't mentioned, should I set the Base to numerical or hexadecimal?

Doesn't matter. 0 and 1 are still 0 and 1 in both Decimal and Hex :p