Man pulls girlfriend into elevator, sets off bomb

LYNN, Mass. - A man pulled his estranged girlfriend into an elevator in the office building where she worked and set off a homemade bomb, killing them both, authorities and witnesses said.

Authorities found the bodies of a man and woman inside the elevator after the explosion, and police were investigating it as a murder-suicide.

?This is a domestic violence situation ? once again we have an ugly specter of domestic violence here in Massachusetts,? Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett said.

He identified the two dead as Raymond Echavarria, 23, and Xiomara Robles, 21.

Witnesses said Echavarria pulled Robles into the elevator, The Daily Item of Lynn reported. Shortly after, police said there was an explosion inside the elevator, engulfing it in flames.

'A lot of screaming'

Attorney Phil Lamonica, whose law office shares the common area with a psychiatric clinic where Robles worked as a secretary, said he bought lunch for her, her young son and another secretary Wednesday.

Lamonica said Robles and the boy were laughing and talking when they returned to work, but a short time later Echavarria drove up. Police said the pair apparently argued near or inside the elevator.

?I heard a lot of screaming,? Lamonica said. ?At first, we all thought she was trapped in the elevator and had claustrophobia, so we started punching all the buttons. I ran to call the fire department and while I was on the phone, I heard the explosion,? he told the newspaper.

The boy was left outside the elevator and survived.

The blast shook the three-story building, said Sam Gonzales, who was in a dentist?s chair on first floor. ?The ceiling started coming down so we got out,? he told the newspaper.

Court records showed a restraining order was issued against Echavarria on Jan. 8 after Robles alleged he kidnapped her at knifepoint. She had the restraining order lifted on Jan. 16. Blodgett said Echavarria was scheduled to appear in court on the kidnapping charges on April 17.

Source

Honestly, people are getting scarier everyday. I feel so bad for the son that the mother left behind.

Honestly, people are getting scarier everyday. I feel so bad for the son that the mother left behind.

The world is in a bad way :/

i agree.

At least he did it in the elevator so less people would be harmed/killed.

still, he took another person's life, and that's one too many.

Geez, when will people learn its just better to walk away.

It's not always as easy as that...

I get your point, but the fact of the matter is that these sort of people should be locked up and the key thrown away in the first place! The minute they start to threaten other people they should be flung in jail and be made to stay there! I am sick of the fact that your life is not really your own anymore, you have to constantly be vigilant and on the lookout for these ######, as you never know what these psychopaths are going to get up to!!

Dumbass should of saved time and just killed himself.

It's not always as easy as that...

Explain how it's not. Walking away is much easier than getting all ****ed off over a situation/relationship.

i have only two things to say about this.

1. i know a girl that's the same age that's in the same situation... i talked to her and how she keeps taking her bf back in after he drinks all the time and hits her. i will never understand.

2. this reminds me of a security camera video i saw once where a couple are infront of an elevator and they had just broken up and i guess the guy begged her and she refused and gave him one last kiss, she went in the elevator and after the door closed the guy pulled out a gun and killed himself. I have a strong stomach and i've seen death with my own eyes, but that video got me.. so sad.

^ We can't really judge her though. If he went as far as killing her, she probably had broken up with him or threatened or made plans to, so he killed her to stop it happening. He came into her workplace to do this, she didn't go into his home.

I think women should walk away the first time they get hit, but it's really not so clear cut. The first abusive incidents are often not all that major - verbal abuse or a shove - and this blurs the boundaries. Plenty of relationships may experience these things in arguements but it doesn't turn into a domestic violence problem. Being hit by someone is not enough to destroy your love for them. Anyone who has been hit by their parents for the sake of discipline or fought with their siblings can understand this.

These men pick women who are already vulnerable or suffering low self esteem and persuade them that no one else will ever want them. The abuse often doesn't start until some time into the relationship, when they have had time to further damage the woman's self esteem. A HUGE amount of it first starts during pregnancy, when the woman is at her most vulnerable. These all add up to make it much harder than simply "walking away"

I get your point, but the fact of the matter is that these sort of people should be locked up and the key thrown away in the first place! The minute they start to threaten other people they should be flung in jail and be made to stay there! I am sick of the fact that your life is not really your own anymore, you have to constantly be vigilant and on the lookout for these ######, as you never know what these psychopaths are going to get up to!!

It was always that way. That's what survival is all about.