Vista Games Explorer

Hi everyone - I have FINALLY added a game to the Explorer successfully

ETA for the first beta release of my program: 1-2 weeks (I have a lot of other activities that need to be completed this week)

The article that did it for me was here: http://howto.jamescarnley.com/

LoL.. I hope this is more like "Let's release this so people can be happy" instead of "Haha! Mine is better than yours, dude!" :)

We'd be happy if you guys can collaborate although sometimes it may take longer to finish ^^

lol - the only reason I started on it was because no one else had (that I knew of).

I have written a lot of code so far (in VB.NET 2005). What I need to do before releasing a version that would be for experts only (those who know how the manually registry hack) includes:

Code to backup the selected game reg details

Code to save edited data to the registry and overwrite another game

And that's it - first release (to be followed by making a version for the plain-jane user)

So far I can browse all the games and add them into the main screen. It has been updated quite a bit since the last screenshot

Cheers :) I'd love to beta test yours.

I'm a programmer myself but haven't touched VB6 and .NET for a loooooong time (about 4 years) hehe

Let us know when you can release it as a BETA and I'm sure some people here will be happy (although you can't help people will moan and cry when bugs occur :D)

lol - the only reason I started on it was because no one else had (that I knew of).

I have written a lot of code so far (in VB.NET 2005). What I need to do before releasing a version that would be for experts only (those who know how the manually registry hack) includes:

Code to backup the selected game reg details

Code to save edited data to the registry and overwrite another game

And that's it - first release (to be followed by making a version for the plain-jane user)

So far I can browse all the games and add them into the main screen. It has been updated quite a bit since the last screenshot

I have been planning out a way to add games in the Explorer but not by using the registry but by using the DirectX sdk. Are you using the SDK or just the registry?

Just the registry - I haven't downloaded anything additoinal to do this project

I posted a link above how the reg fix works - not my own work though

Here's one for you :)

Does anyone know of a Vista command that can be used to add a game into the VGE (Vista Game Explorer) as a shortcut?

Perhaps one possibility is in relation to the use of C:\Windows\System32\GDI.exe ?

I was just wondering, in the startmenu there is an option to show the game button as a link or menu... now, I dont really mind going to the startmenu all the time using the games button as a menu... but I would love to have the MENU in my toolbar if possible... I just cant figure out where to point it...

maybe it is a function of the startmenu to populate and make a list? but I cant understand why MS would code that into the startmenu...

No idea on how to do that Ronnie - doesn't seem all that possible from my attempts

On to the progress report - the app can read and write all the regisrty values for the games in your user profile. If you had another user account that had games in the explorer - you would also have to run this program from that account (as the the reg values are there multiple times for each account).

Are the features mentioned above advanced enough to warrant a posting of the app in it's pre-release state here for testing? It is easier to make registry modifications using the app at this stage than going into Regedit and finding the right GUID. I have not added the abilty to add a new game or physically change the boxart (the registry item 'BoxArt' can be changed - but I don't think it will actually change the picture as outlined in the various guides).

Speaking of user guides - I have written one on this topic for new readers here. It is easy to follow and has screenshots. It's uploaded on my website: http://ryzza007.googlepages.com/eehelpdeskfaq

If there are any beta testers online currently - IM me and I'll send you a version to test out. (Note that I don't use the listed hotmail address for email - if you need to email me - remove the underscore from the address and change 'hotmail' to 'gmail')

Ryan R

Question - do you have to tick the box 'Track this topic' every time you post, if you want email notifs?

I have uploaded Beta 1 of this application to sourceforge.net --> https://sourceforge.net/projects/vistagameeditor/

(There's even an updated screenshot there).

You can either post replies to that site or here or directly via email to my gmail account.

This version of the software removes the pain of having to open regedit and search through Game ID's - unfortunately not much else. Please give me as much feedback an suggestions as possible - I will be doing a fair bit of programming on it next week (which means I'd need feedback prior to that time).

Looking forward to your replies...

Added feature (not in VGGE Beta 1) - you can now drag'n'drop picture files into the picture box from any location in Windows Explorer

Cheers for your hard work, Ryan! I'll test it as soon as I get home from work (unfortunately not for another 7 hours :( )

I have done it!!! :)

The program now adds new games to the VGE and adds the BoxArt.

I will spend some more time on the project on Wednesday (Australian Time) - I am going to get some sleep for now.

I still need to come up with a way to add the old game back into the VGE (the one that was overwritten and automatically downloads the boxart from the net).

Please come up with any feedback based on VGEE Beta 1 before Wednesday - thanks.

G'Night

Hello! I've got a problem with my games explorer. Whenever i click a specific game icon (e.g. chess titans or spider solitare), i always get this message:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel." Please help. The only way i could access my game files now is through opening it from the game folders and not from vista games explorer....

Ryan, it doesn't work for me. I'm at 64bit, but when i have typed everything i want to type and needs to type, i click "Add new game" and a popup box saying "no code here" popups and nothing else happens.. what to do?

It was mentioned on the website that 'Beta 1 doesn't add any games yet - it just edit's them).

I am about to release Beta 2 - which I have succesfully used to add a new game. The ONLY main thing that I need to work out is how to add the old game back into the VGE. Once that is done - the program will pretty much be finished - unless new features or bug fixes are needed.

Lyon has been testing out Beta 2 - as soon as I tidy up a few loose ends I will upload Beta 2 for everyone.

'No code here' (for Beta 1) means that at the time I had not written any code to add new games. Since you mention you have 64bit Vista I will be particularly interested in how the program works for you (I only run Vista 32 bit as it's more reliable imho)

Using the program, I can only update the name of existing games. Somehow, Command and Conquer 3 doesn't show under the load game selection. I am currently using Vista 64.

Edit:

-Can't edit any games that has a rating.

-Lost Planet Profile from Steam cannot be edit.

Edited by Vegtro

Due to some problems with Beta 1 - I'll upload Beta 2 to the same website in the next 30 mins for people to try.

I haven't made an installer for it - so please create the following folder path for it:

%Program Files%\Vista Game Explorer Editor\VGEE Beta 2.exe

I will tidy it up as quickly as possible. It will allow you to add new games, HOWEVER the game that you choose to overwrite (in the wizard) will not be automatically put back in the VGE. You need to do this manually - the instructions for it are on the last page of my userguide which is here: http://ryzza007.googlepages.com/ChangeBoxA...ameExplorer.pdf

Please let me know of any bugs in it. I AM AWARE that you can't change the BoxArt of existing games - you CAN add boxart for new games though.

I recommend that you create a new user account called 'Games' that you test this on while this program remains in Beta status. :)

Thanks - (pls wait ~30 mins for it to be added to the Sourceforge website)

VGEE BETA 2 is now available.

Since I haven't been able to implement everything that I wanted to in Beta 2 I am only releasing it on my website and not on Sourceforge at this stage.

All the instructions on it's use and the actual download is here

Enjoy

@ Long and others - one cool feature is that if you open IE or Firefox to a page that has an Image of the boxart, you can just drag the image from the web page into my program. You don't even have to save the file to your HDD! :)

You can also drag'n'drop an exe file into the App Path textbox to link to there. However, I have setup the program to open your Program Files dir the first time you click Browse. After that it will remember the last dir you used which is handy.

IMPORTANT - If you have downloaded VGEE Beta 2 already you'll find it has a major bug - I have fixed this and replaced the link on my site - please get the new version.

Wanted feedback - please tell me:

--> Do want to be able to add/edit Publisher Name and Publisher URL independently from the Developer Name and Developer URL?

--> Do you want any other small features added to the program? (eg - Long wanted the drag'n'drop feature for the BoxArt (and I went one better :))

Thanks again

Hello! I've got a problem with my games explorer. Whenever i click a specific game icon (e.g. chess titans or spider solitare), i always get this message:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel." Please help. The only way i could access my game files now is through opening it from the game folders and not from vista games explorer....

You used a third party app like Vista Smoker or Vista Manager to remove shortcut arrows from your desktop. Because of the way that Vista uses links, these programs remove the arrow improperly and break the games explorer. Go into whatever program you used, restore the arrow, reboot and then remove the arrow again with a program called FxVisor (google it). I've found with Vista, the best programs cost $0. Good thing too because Ultimate was a complete waste of money.

By the way, I was experimenting and installed Tomb Raider 4 and it wanted to install Directx 6 I believe, cancelled that and it installed fine and even shows in Games Explorer but won't play. Any ideas why it would download boxart but not be playable?

Edited by Foxxx428