Halo 3 BETA dates revealed, Halo 3 ViDoc

I'm concerned. Everyone keeps throwing out lines like "its alpha" or "its beta" and follow that up with "itll look alot better in later builds". Sorry for being a sceptic but look at other next gen titles like Crysis, Allan Wake ect. They looked stunning and polished 12 - 18 months before release.

It depends on the development, and the current stage of the engine. Right now they may be tweaking performance and as such have alot of stuff turned off. Some companies will turn the engine on full bore for a demo or whatever and then turn it back down again to continue development. It also depends on the type of engine I spose... the Halo 3 engine is for Halo 3.. while the Crysis engine is going to be resold.. so it has to be ready alot sooner?

Regardless, "placeholder water" for example doesn't mean that the engine can't do water, it can just mean someone hasn't put in the water texture yet, so they're just using blue until its done.

Regardless, "placeholder water" for example doesn't mean that the engine can't do water, it can just mean someone hasn't put in the water texture yet, so they're just using blue until its done.
Yeah I know it means it can do it. But whether its done now or when it will be is the question as there seems to be alot of "place holders" or "things to add". Small things like water may not make it go from what I think is rather ordinary to something special, although I guess I say that without knowing fully whats still on the "to do" list.

Smigit is quite right, with expirience I can say that most of the art assets for a game are done long before the game is finished, however I do believe Halo 3 will look alot better than it does in that video - If not I will be severely dissapointed.

I do have faith in Bungie though.

Yeah I know it means it can do it. But whether its done now or when it will be is the question as there seems to be alot of "place holders" or "things to add". Small things like water may not make it go from what I think is rather ordinary to something special, although I guess I say that without knowing fully whats still on the "to do" list.

If you've followed the weekly updates, you'd know that they're way into beta testing with a lot of the placeholders finished (the water has come a long way, just read the update on now) and that many of the decorators and effects are added in. (that we'll see in May during the beta test).

Since that was after my post I guess it was a response to it so I'll reply by saying at no point what so ever did I say it (graphics) was the only important aspect. That said its still an aspect of the game and especially in a FPS I want a game that feels immersive and real, not like a bunch of polygons put together. Graphics play a huge role in creating atmosphere and thus also have an adverse effect on the game play of a title. I'm not saying the game will play good or bad or whatever, but I am offering on my opinion on the one aspect we can really pass much judgment about so far.

Lets take it to the extreme and say that graphics didn't matter at all. Can you imagine playing a game like Oblivion on an engine equivalent to that of Doom's? Surely not and I hope that everyone can appreciate that the visuals are one of the main gateways that developers have to portray a believable universe to the gamer and as time progresses the expectations on what is required to fully immerse a player has developed as games have become more and more advanced.

Tell me this, when halo 1 and 2 shipped did they look graphically equivalent to the PC FPS gaming of their times? No. Why did it sell so well? They were great games. I have no doubt Halo 3 will be great, visually and story wise, but I love Halo because it is halo, not because each character has 2.9 million polygons.

You are right about immersion, and possibly Epic has made every 360 owner to EXPECT these kind of graphics, but with that said, people need to stop talking about graphics this, graphics that. Just look at crackdown. It wasn't the most impressive with graphics but it was insanely fun. Also, look at Guitar Hero II, which isn't graphic crazy and all but is "epic fun".

Graphics aren't everything, they are just becoming what everyone wants nowadays.

Tell me this, when halo 1 and 2 shipped did they look graphically equivalent to the PC FPS gaming of their times? No. Why did it sell so well? They were great games. I have no doubt Halo 3 will be great, visually and story wise, but I love Halo because it is halo, not because each character has 2.9 million polygons.

You are right about immersion, and possibly Epic has made every 360 owner to EXPECT these kind of graphics, but with that said, people need to stop talking about graphics this, graphics that. Just look at crackdown. It wasn't the most impressive with graphics but it was insanely fun. Also, look at Guitar Hero II, which isn't graphic crazy and all but is "epic fun".

Graphics aren't everything, they are just becoming what everyone wants nowadays.

QFT

Most of the games that have awesome graphics on the PC are being developed on DX10... The 360 does not support the same features as DX10, so naturally the games aren't going to be completely comparable. Graphics are important in games, but they aren't the be-all and end-all portion of them. I'd take a game like Mario over many others being released simply because the gameplay in them isn't very good. For example, I personally don't like Guitar Hero, I just don't want to be a rock star or anything like that. However, Crackdown was awesome, and it was cell-shaded; a style that many feel is not a graphical best. Graphics may be objective, but gameplay is entirly subjective. Many times the gameplay will outweigh the graphics and immerse the player despite it not looking like real life.

You will notice at the end of the video that they say "2006, All rights reserved".

We could be looking at a video taken many months ago - The video is at least 4 months old.

so yes, We can expect to see improvements in graphics by November...

You will notice at the end of the video that they say "2006, All rights reserved".

We could be looking at a video taken many months ago - The video is at least 4 months old.

so yes, We can expect to see improvements in graphics by November...

halo3_0725.04.11.05.0927.AlphaBuild :rolleyes:

project_time.date.build.stage... :shiftyninja:

Folks, take into consideration why Bungie is doing this. Halo 3 is one of the most anticipated titles to be released this year, and due to what the learned from Halo 2, they are not making to many promises up front. In other words, show little, build anticipation and release a massive hit.

Remember the e3 footage that never was H2?

Theres a reason Bungie and MS's PR agents are working over time on this stuff.

project_time.date.build.stage... :shiftyninja:

Lol, nice one. So how does that work with build from the "Et Tu Brute" ViDoc?

halo3_06436.04.11.09.0915.pre_alphabuild

Lol, nice one. So how does that work with build from the "Et Tu Brute" ViDoc?

halo3_06436.04.11.09.0915.pre_alphabuild

I know!!! I know!!! :shiftyninja:

Bungie made a time machine.. went into the future to just before they release the game, then came back with the footage... :p

Maybe it umm... that 09 is really hard to explain without knowing what it really means isn't it? haha

After a little googling and memory recall...

11-9-04 was Halo 2's release date... I have no clue how their numbering scheme is setup haha. I think they changed the scheme to keep us guessing, that would be true Bungie fashion... :shiftyninja:

cant wait to play it :) but at the same time i gotta say those graphics after GOW look like CRAP. i really hope those are from early builds cause it looked like halo 2 with sharper textures- thats it. Anyways, anyone have a theory as to the ETA on this thing? I Think itll be out by Christmas, but something in the pit of my stomach tells me that the public beta is just a rouse and that itll be out a month after the public beta sometime during the summer. if its true , cant wait to play me some H3 on those cool summer nights, lol.

i thought it was said that it would definatly be coming out between October and November? or was that not an official announcment... i am prepaired to wait as long as it takes tho to have a good game :)

i thought it was said that it would definatly be coming out between October and November? or was that not an official announcment... i am prepaired to wait as long as it takes tho to have a good game :)

i dont know when itll come out nor do i remember hearing anything close to a release date, BUT i could be wrong as im too lazy to really check, LOL. an earlier release date is just a theory on my part. With guitar hero 2 out now and looking forward to GTA 4, if H3 doesnt come out before then, then what is there to look forward to until October?

I think the release date is based on EB pre orders so far. I dont think anything official has been stated but a betting man would say that both Bungee and MS would want this to be THE xmas title of 07. It could slip but I think alot of forces would be trying to get this title out by mid December at the very latest. It's really the sort of title that could sell a few million Xbox's alone if done right so for MS having this out before Xmas is very important.

There has been an official statement on the release date. 2007. Bungie and MS have stated that it is coming out this year, they just haven't specified when this year that happens to be.

-Spenser