Did Chinese discover America?

I was browsing the net and ran across this article. This map (shown below) claims to be an ancient copy of an even more ancient map proving the chinese discovered America.

060118_chinese_map.jpg

What makes this smell like a hoax? America is shown in pretty good detail (for the time it was made). I find it unlikely that a Chinese fleet would have had the time or gumption to completely navigate all the way around both North and South America, mapping as they went, and still have the wherewithall to continue it's claim of circling the globe discovering places like the North Pole, Antarctica, Australia, and then circling and mapping all the "known" world too.

Could I believe that the Vikings discovered America before Columbus? Sure. It's possible, but there is little evidence that that even happened. The "original" viking we think discovered America didn't even land. He was looking for Greenland and got lost. But to be fair to the Chinese, he could have ran across Ireland and not America as some have claimed. Later, a fleet of Vikings went in search of this new land. However, no proof was ever given that they actually found it.

But even if the Vikings could have discovered America, it's more likely that the Chinese traveled to the moon than it is that they discovered America.

Columbus currently gets most of the credit of "discovering" America but that was 550 years ago. This map may very well be very old and still not predate Columbus.

The map claims to be an 18th century copy of a map made about 50 years before Columbus discovered America. Even if the carbon dating ends up proving it was made in the 18th century, it's still most likely a hoax. But then it's more likely that carbon dating will say it's over 100k years old :p

Shoot, even a lot of Chinese historians are saying this thing is probably a fake.

I remember seeing a documentary on TV about this. The main proponent of the theory (Gavin Menzies) makes ubstantiated claims that, as has been mentioned, a Chinese historian (among other noted historians) denies. I mean this guy was really grabbing at straws when he got confronted by the interviewer. There will be another airing on PBS in July.

Interesting note from Wikipedia:

Litigation against recognized scholars

Some scholars are reluctant to criticise the 1421 hypothesis because of Menzies' litigious behaviour.[8] In 1996 Menzies, under his full name of Rowan Gavin Paton Menzies, was declared a vexatious litigant by HM Courts Service.[9] In this case, Menzies had been declared bankrupt following losses in an investment, and sought to launch a variety of criminal proceedings against the allegedly delinquent directors.[10]

- Wikipedia

I guess he took a page from Dan Brown and wrote a dubious, best-selling novel to rake in the big bucks.

I'd say it is a hoax too, or at least half of the map is. They have the time and ability to create a map of America in that much detail, yet Australia is a round blob and half of Europe is missing...

Ok, America isn't perfect, but it is a darn site more accurate than Asia, Africa and Europe.

Edit: Also just noticed the gap between Canada and the North Pole. That also seems odd, as that is pretty much filled in with ice (might change with seasons, not sure?). How would they know there is actually water there, and not land, if it is filled in with ice? http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/image/earth_day.jpg

Edited by Fourjays

The map is almost most definitely a hoax, but the vikings did have a villiage in newfoundland 1000 years ago. It was most likely a fishing villiage. Also, 5 monks allegedly found south america long before that by teh explanations of what they saw. They thought they found heaven or something I think. Also, either aboriginals sailed off to other continents or other people found america, because some plants that originate in north america can be found in other places around the world. If i have to I will find examples... but I am at work right now.

The map is almost most definitely a hoax, but the vikings did have a villiage in newfoundland 1000 years ago. It was most likely a fishing villiage. Also, 5 monks allegedly found south america long before that by teh explanations of what they saw. They thought they found heaven or something I think. Also, either aboriginals sailed off to other continents or other people found america, because some plants that originate in north america can be found in other places around the world. If i have to I will find examples... but I am at work right now.

We've had threads before suggesting that Columbus gets undue credit.