77 percent: Every Jew must visit Poland's death camps

77 percent: Every Jew must visit Poland's death camps

Watch TV special or attend a memorial? Stand up for a minute of silence or

study Mishna? Ynet-Gesher poll explores the ways Israelis prefer to

commemorate the Holocaust

As on every Holocaust Remembrance Day, this Monday morning a siren will be

heard throughout the country. Yet this siren does not mark impending danger.

Instead of seeking shelter, Israelis will stop their daily routine and have

a minute of silence in memory of the six million Jewish victims murdered by

the Nazis.

A survey conducted for Ynet and the Gesher organization, which aims at

bridging gaps between secular and religious Jews, showed that 94 percent of

the Jewish Israeli public will drop whatever they are doing and stand in

silence until the sound of the siren dies down.

Who are the remaining six percent? Most are members of the ultra-Orthodox

community who regard the practice as "non-Jewish" and will ignore the siren,

deepening the chasm splitting the Israeli society along religious lines.

The survey was conducted by the Mutagim research institute among a

representative sample of 500 respondents, composed of Israel's adult

Hebrew-speaking Jewish population.

Question: "Will you stand up as sirens are heard on Yom Hashoah?"

Ninety four percent of the religious and seculars participants said they

intend to. A majority of the ultra-Orthodox conquered: 65 percent said they

will stand, yet a considerable group (35 percent) said they will ignore it.

Question: "Will you attend a memorial?"

Sixty percent of participants said they will attend at least one ceremony.

The religious participants are more inclined to attend (76 percent) compared

to 21 percent of ultra-Orthodox participants.

The one question everyone seem to agree on relates to the importance of

visiting Poland's death camps: 77 percent of Israelis believe it is the duty

of every Jewish person (82 percent of secular participants conquered, 80

percent of traditional, 61 percent of religious and 62 percent of

ultra-Orthodox). Yet, 18 percent of participants said they fear such a trip

will be too traumatic.

Despite the above finding, only 16 percent of participants say they plan to

travel to the killing fields of Poland. Thirty-nine percent said they have

not been there yet and do not plan on doing so in the next couple of years.

Thirty-two percent said they plan to visit in the near future.

The survey demonstrated that Jewish people of all walks of life feel the

need to connect to the national collective memory using ceremonies, symbols

and a shared text, said Gesher's director Shoshi Becker.

"The act of remembering together brings us closer to one another," she

added.

http://www.imra.org.il/story.php3?id=33869

Well, i as an Israeli was in Poland, visited the camps, it was from school and was quite horrifying event, yet I had to do it, i felt i had to do it.

today was the israeli national memorial day of the holocaust and of the bravery (Yom hashoa vehagvura) the date was selected due to the day of the washa getto rebellion (actually week after it was started).

i was in jerusalem and had the honor of standing those 2 min siren in the Kotel (western wall), later i visited yad vashem memorial (they did good job there actually).

but, i sad of one two things, the first that there are survivers here which living in poverty, the time is running out and the state of israel still haven't issued a law which settling the status of the survivor, which is bad.

the second and the more important thing the the holocaust that is now happening in north korea, people are gassed there, and anything that you could have imagine that happen in the jewish holocaust is happening there, it must be stopped, i don't know how, but it must be stopped.

I was in Dakau. Its near Munich. Thankfully it was closed for over 50 years when i was there but it was not a " nice" expierence.

Somehow i do think the germans have to be commended for leaving these places open to visitors, rather than demolishing them and trying to hide them and the memories of the millions murdered in them.

I never been to germany, but when i was in the graveyard called poland i was in Auschwitz (I and II), Maydanek, and treblinka deathcamps, nice i was not, but strengthening it was, it was something like a victory that a grandson of 2 holocaust survivors, which my family was killed there (in auschwitz, the other side in babi-yar), was there which the flag of the state of israel, which has blue magen-david (my grandfather wore the same blue magen-david on his arm during the holocaust) it felt like victorious, i actually never cry, but there i did.

why do you think that those places should be demolished? no, they should stay as a living monument.

in maydanek there is an ash hill, that the russians put in a pile, this ash is an ash of the bodies of those who were murdered.

Oh, so maybe some misunderstanding.

about the topic itself, the ones who do not stand in the siren are Ultra-orthodox jews (which do not accept any country as a jewish one unless it will be something like Iran, a think which will never be) and most of the Arabs (not all).

i wish that the arab will stand in those 2 min, but i really understand if they won't because, unfortunately most of them don't know very much about it.

and the ultra orthodox as f*cked up as always in any religion.

and the ultra orthodox as f*cked up as always in any religion

yup, like all religious fanatics with the christian , muslim, Judaism's etc faiths, too much of it imo is a bad thing.

I was watching the local news today. It was reporting about a minute of silence observed. People, with their automobiles, standing in the middle of the street, dead silent.

One of the lines used by the television station remarked on attempts to prevent "the last casualty of the Second World War being truth", to educate people, particularly Jews, about the Holocaust. And yet, the report spoke of six million casualties of the genocide, of Jews only. It failed to remark about the Roma, homosexuals, Russians, and others. The Holocaust truly was of over ten million people overall.

In yad-vashem, there is a a corner for the Roma who were murdered in the holocaust, nothing more actually, which is said.

I also sad that the state of Israel is not recognizing the Armenian genocide out of political issues.

I also sad that the genocide in north korea is keep going and nobody do a sh1te to prevent it.

In yad-vashem, there is a a corner for the Roma who were murdered in the holocaust

- not to make light of a serious issue, but all the roma were not killed, they are living in Ireland now. :|

which is why this is sad.

i truly think that Israel, as a major part of memorial should bring the Roma holocaust as well as the jews holocaust, because in the end of the tunnel, this is very similar one, and occurred at the same years. we as jews must have the obligation to remember anybody that was massacred those days.