Dell brings back XP on home systems

I'va already blown Vista away on 5 computers for people who wanted XP instead of Vista after they tried it.

Shall we call it Vista Me? Nothing more to offer than a cheap upgrade from XP with a ton to much eye candy (which I already knew it was going to be a long time ago anyway!)

Good move for Dell.

Do the end user has to suffer all the problems with a BRAND NEW PC and NEW OS because Microsoft decided to shove the NEW OS in their throat?

Its not fair, and big companies like Dell are loosing money because customers bought a new PC and they somehow cannot use X device on Vista that was once working fine in an XP machine.

I'm glad Dell started this, and I hope other companies do the same thing.

In a way I'm glad Microsoft pushed Vista out on all the new PCs, because since the Vista release I have built many computers for customers with XP Pro because customers did not want to deal with Vista problems.

/EZ

It isn't MS' fault that companies didn't bother to write drivers until the last minute - if you have the right drivers, Vista is perfectly fine (but the same can be said of any OS). As for people whining about the amount of resources, they are probably the same people that buy C2D's, with 2+ GB of RAM, and then bitch because program 'xyz' using more than 'x' amount of RAM. It's like people will spend all this money on hardware, and then complain when it is actually being used. Having said that, Vista requires a 9.0c video card if you want Aero, which is probably fairly high for the typical home PC, but considering those cards are on the low-end like $40, it's not a huge expense.

On my system, Vista Business runs no worse than XP SP2, and better in some cases, as I have improved dual monitor support because of Aero. And I only have a single core A64 with 1 GB of RAM, and a 6800 (AGP).

The only companies with any major issues are Nvidia (which are releasing better drivers), and Creative, but that's partly because MS dumped DirectSound acceleration.

And I've actually run the Vista betas (and hated those), but love RTM. It's not a world of difference over XP, but it's the little things that make it better.

:laugh: I have the feeling Windows XP will remain popular long after sales end.

Even more so than Windows '98.

Yeah I think XP is awesome tho I haven't really had a hands on with Vista yet I am just going with what people are saying about it...

whatever, starting Dec 31st XP will no longer be awailable to OEMs. Year later, year earlier.... Vista will still be shoved down people's throat.

But I still see no problem with Vista and no reason to choose XP over it

Is Vista hard to code for then? Not being a coder I wouldnt know.

The reason I ask is that all the software developers out there seem to be extremely sluggish in getting their apps to be "officially" Vista compatible, despite there being such a massive build up to Vista's release.

They have had more than enough time and opportunity, yet they just.....havent? :/

wtf XP is garbage compared to Vista

retards

how so?

This is the right move by Dell. Consumers should have the option to choose between XP and Vista. I don't think many people or businesses want Vista until SP1 comes out later this year. XP might be 5 years old, but there are companies that still running 2000 on their computers.

Dual booting is the way really, tis what i'm doing really. I prefer XP for stability and general quickness, have really liked it since installing it 5 years back

I do like the vista interface but I think its overrated, reminds me of Windows ME

Thats cool that people get an option, but im still trying to find how Vista is a resource hog, Right now im running 30% of 2GB memory and thats becasue im watching tv on media center, apparently the general consensus is that Vista is trash but ive never had a problem since installing it 2 months ago.

600+ megs to watch tv lol.

Ill take that back i dont know my math then, eshell.exe is running at 119 mb, all processes running at once about 400 mb, i should go back to school.

Is Vista hard to code for then? Not being a coder I wouldnt know.

The reason I ask is that all the software developers out there seem to be extremely sluggish in getting their apps to be "officially" Vista compatible, despite there being such a massive build up to Vista's release.

They have had more than enough time and opportunity, yet they just.....havent? :/

I guess you could say it's harder, since basically it enforces certain programming practices that were previously optional. For instance, an obvious one is writing to user directories instead of just writing inis to the program directory.

I do like the vista interface but I think its overrated, reminds me of Windows ME

It's nothing like Windows Me in any way shape or form.

Ill take that back i dont know my math then, eshell.exe is running at 119 mb, all processes running at once about 400 mb, i should go back to school.

Don't mind him. A lot of people haven't used a *nix and have no concept of what memory caching is, since even some of that 400mb can be given up to other programs at a moments notice.