Ubuntu 7.04 Install

Hi, I am a long time Windows user finally making the switch to Linux. I downloaded Ubuntu 7.04, burned to cd at 8x, and tried to boot. Initially everything works fine, but after the splash progress bar finishes, i see a couple clicks in the top left and then get a "no video signal" notice on my monitor before being treated to a black screen.

Any ideas of how to fix this problem, I really want to try Ubuntu. Here's my system:

A64 2.6ghz

1gb DDR2 667

80gb SATA drive

X1800 GTO

1440x900 Acer LCD

Thanks for the help

it probably looks like X (graphic) system is not able to load, I would recommend you to post same Question at ubuntuforum or Linux/ati graphic card forum , you might get fast reply.

I got nVidia cards both at my laptop and this Main pc because Linux distros are not given good support by ATI :( . i still got ati 9600se in dust. cant even sell as no one wants it.

it probably looks like X (graphic) system is not able to load, I would recommend you to post same Question at ubuntuforum or Linux/ati graphic card forum , you might get fast reply.

I got nVidia cards both at my laptop and this Main pc because Linux distros are not given good support by ATI :( . i still got ati 9600se in dust. cant even sell as no one wants it.

I'm actually typing from the live cd now. It just took a lot of playing around and trial and error. I was able to press Alt+F2 to get into console after the monitor lost signal. Then i stopped Gnome, typed dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to run the configuration utility, went through setup and selected 1024x768 60hz under the monitor config (1440x900 was only offered with 100hz), started gnome again (took 2 tries), pressed yes when it asked to asked to start a new Xserver or w/e, and finally...it booted.

Hi, I have some problems with mine PC too.

I insert the CD and I get the first menu, I pick to start Ubuntu from the CD (LiveCD). It starts loading kernel, everything looks really fine and later I got this "_" blinking all the time and it looks like CD-ROM everything else is sleeping. No changes in ~10 minutes. I tried to switch off some of MB features in BIOS and that didn't help. Later I downloaded Virtual PC 2007, Parallels and VMWare.

Virtual PC 2007: It loaded, after blinking "_" symbol I got some lines of text with info that it is loading and I got nice graphical loading screen (it looks really good compared even with Windows). And later again problems, it can't load, after it finishes loading screen resolution changes to strange one and just black screen. Later I saw some figures, some playing colors, like I wouldn't have video card or something would be wrong with monitor.

I doesn't even give me loading screen in Parallels, like in the real situation. And it only loads using VMWare. Any help?..

Do you have any mobo Asus P5B deluxe? If so try to disabling the JMicron controller in your BIOS.
If you do that does it not disable IDE and it does not boot from CD atleast thats what I've faced, please do enlighten me.

And what should I do this another problem?.. Blinking "_" and that's all, CD-ROM and every one part of PC is sleeping. After that blinking symbol I should get some text with information about loading. So I assume something failed and I can't see that.

I've had problems too. Funny thing, Ubuntu hoary (4.10?) used to be installed in the computer I tried to install 7.04.

The splash screen has the bar 'bouncing' left and right, and then I see some strange things on top and a second bar appears below the original bar, haha. It stops there. The first times I tried I noticed the leds on my keyboard were blinking. I burnt the ISO again and now it's the same without the led thing. I guess it's the X server too... The last time I tried I pressed something (crtl+alt+del ?) and the splash screen resurfaced as the system was going down. So the thing was alive after all.

I tried changing the resolution but my TV (a 1366x768 HD ready tv) only shows part of it so I don't know what goes on with ubuntu. I left it for a while and nothing happened so I guess I still have the same problem.

I will try what's mentioned in this post and get back at ya :p

BTW, the system is a P4 3.20 GHz, 1GB Ram, Nvidia FX 5700VE

It won't let me edit my previous message

Anyway, turns out that there was a problem with HAL (hardware abstraction layer). When my usb soundcard is connected, ubuntu won't boot. I disconnected, booted ubuntu sucessfully, connected the card, and bam! No more ubuntu.

I'm not sure whether it is the card itself, or the usb port it is connected in (that computer has a long history of "erratic usb behaviour" sometimes thing won't work on certain ports... etc). I'll guess I'll give it another try tomorrow

Nope, didn't work. Maybe kernel doesn't load fully, I don't know... :(

P.S. Where is the "Edit" button?.. Looking for it, but can't find... :)

Edit: it's here, but can't edit my other messages... :(

It won't let me edit my previous message

You only have a limited amount of time to edit your messages before you can not do so anymore. I believe it is set at 30 minutes (but I could be wrong with the exact time frame).

Barney

Nope, didn't work. Maybe kernel doesn't load fully, I don't know... :(

P.S. Where is the "Edit" button?.. Looking for it, but can't find... :)

Edit: it's here, but can't edit my other messages... :(

Try pressing alt+F2 (or F1?) as soon as the ubuntu splash screen appears. You can see what things are starting there, maybe you can work out what's failing.

You only have a limited amount of time to edit your messages before you can not do so anymore. I believe it is set at 30 minutes (but I could be wrong with the exact time frame).

Barney

Thanks, I didn't know that. I'm used to some forums in which you can edit your message indefinitely if it is the last reply in the thread.

I can't... I am not getting splash screen. I get the main menu, there I can choose that to do with LiveCD: test memory, CD for defects, or start ubuntu and install. I tried first two from the list and it didn't work. A small window, Windows like pop ups with title kernel and it loads to 100% and after that I should get splash screen, but I am getting only "_" symbol blinking all the time and sleeping PC.

Alt+F2 no response.

It seems that everything connected with kernel doesn't load.

I tested the same LiveCD on other PC with Athlon 64, it's a bit better and it worked just fine. Any other ideas what could be wrong?

P.S. Maybe I should take a small video that it would be easier to understand how it looks? :)

Video:

Edited by david13lt

I installed Ubuntu today too. I had the same problem. I have a Ge FX5900XT. So I'll post how I managed to fix it. If I write something stupid forgive me cos I'm a totally noob in linux! :p So here's what I did:

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg

There look for the corresponding file and

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-HERE PUT THE NAME OF THE FILE

Mine was something like this: nvidia-new (can't remember well)

Hope this will help.

EDIT:

The topic starter have an Ati card. Try this maybe it will help:

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-Ati

Edited by Alvi 84

What happens when you do the "check CD for defects" option? I know you said it booted on another PC, but I just want to make sure that your current (problematic) PC can read the CD properly.

Alvi 84, I can't even launch it from LiveCD...

markjensen, the same... I have CD-RW and CD/DVD-RW and with bot the same. It loads the kernel to 100% and blinking "_" symbol all the time.

Alvi 84, I can't even launch it from LiveCD...

markjensen, the same... I have CD-RW and CD/DVD-RW and with bot the same. It loads the kernel to 100% and blinking "_" symbol all the time.

o_o. Uhhh.... That's not good. Perhaps the kernel on the cd is corrupted. Try reburning it. Sounds like you burned a coaster to me....

But it works fine on the other computer... :(

markjensen, yes, I can't do anything that is connected with kernel...

Maybe I will order the CD... But that won't solve the problem. It loads on other PC and on VMWare.