Wii update

Just got my Wii and hooked it to my wireless network to get the updates. I successfully connected to the network and now I am on the "Updating...Do not turn the power off" screen. It has sat there for the last 20 minutes and the progress bar has not moved. How long does an update usually take? Is there a way to cancel the update if needed? Thanks for the help.

The update servers are probably a bit slow due to all the stores that sold Wiis today.

Also, the wireless chipset in the Wii is horrible at filtering out interference so it may help to set your router to channel 1 or 11 since they are probably less crowded.

I also have a question about the Wii system update. Can you download the update from the nintendo website and burn it to a CD or put it on a USB HDD and update the Wii that way?

I also have a question about the Wii system update. Can you download the update from the nintendo website and burn it to a CD or put it on a USB HDD and update the Wii that way?

Not at the moment. Sorry man, I know you're stuck with 56k. Have you tried picking up a wireless router and getting the 56k to work with it? I know it would be slow, but good enough just for downloading the updates. Not much else you can do with the Wii in terms of online anyway lol.

Yeah, set it to 1 or 11 and also make sure your router's MTU is set to 1500. I couldn't get the Wii to update for the life of me until I did those two things.

I have posted on my blog (www.niklouch.com/wii) about my console once hanging during an upgrade - I pulled the power and everything was fine after :)

Not at the moment. Sorry man, I know you're stuck with 56k. Have you tried picking up a wireless router and getting the 56k to work with it? I know it would be slow, but good enough just for downloading the updates. Not much else you can do with the Wii in terms of online anyway lol.
Yeah, set it to 1 or 11 and also make sure your router's MTU is set to 1500. I couldn't get the Wii to update for the life of me until I did those two things.

I think I will get the Wii LAN adapter and then take it over to my sister's boyfriends house and update it there :)

Wow, changing the router to channel 11 worked wonders.

Haha I thought I was the only one with that problem. I had troubles with my Wii for the longest time. It only had trouble initiating a connection, which it would fail to do 50% of the time. It worked great once the connection was made, no problems there. It wasn't the router though, because I've used my DS Lite regularly on it and also wireless computer connections once and a while (I prefer wired most of the time). But anyway, I changed every setting that would potentially make a difference but nothing worked until I changed the channel. No idea why it happened.

I have posted on my blog (www.niklouch.com/wii) about my console once hanging during an upgrade - I pulled the power and everything was fine after :)

That's rather dangerous, you know. Pulling the plug while writing to the flash is always dangerous. You got lucky.

Just get the USB conversion to Ethernet adapter. The Wireless capabilities are horrible at filtering out any interference. I have problems all the time with mine wirelessly connecting.

Just get the USB conversion to Ethernet adapter. The Wireless capabilities are horrible at filtering out any interference. I have problems all the time with mine wirelessly connecting.

Me and another fellow in this thread have the same problem. But changing our routers wireless channel fixed it. I would try that out if you haven't purchased the adapter yet. Mine works great now (but you are right, for some reason the Wii has either a big issue with very little interference or it's somehow creating it's own on certain channels.).

hey guys. I got a question. Since I am on dial up I w as wondering if this would work at all. I have a wireless Linksys card for my laptop. is there anyway for me to turn my laptop into a access point?

hey guys. I got a question. Since I am on dial up I w as wondering if this would work at all. I have a wireless Linksys card for my laptop. is there anyway for me to turn my laptop into a access point?

Well I'm not an expert (yet lol) but the card would only function as a device that connects you to a wireless router, not something that creates a wireless access point. Now if you have a wireless router (or a neighbors who didn't secure theirs lol) you could do it.

Btw, have you considered buying the Nintendo Wifi access drive? It's USB and functions as a wireless router for the Wii and DS Lite. That way you can connect to the internet on your laptop or PC, and allow the Wii/DS Lite to access it. It costs about $35 USD from Nintendo directly. Far cheaper alternative then buying a wireless router, not to mention it will work even better once you get broadband.

That's rather dangerous, you know. Pulling the plug while writing to the flash is always dangerous. You got lucky.

It doesn't actually flash the firmware until after its done downloading, so as long as you dont pull the plug at the very end of the progress bar, you should be fine.

ok i tried something new lol. I connected my PS3 to the internet and click the remote play option then I turned on my Wii searched for a access point and it found it but the internet test failed. :(

ok i tried something new lol. I connected my PS3 to the internet and click the remote play option then I turned on my Wii searched for a access point and it found it but the internet test failed. :(

Yeah that won't work. It's not an access point in the way a router is. It's only a limited version strictly for LAN with the PSP (and even that's limited at the moment), so there's no internet. When they institute some form of remote play internet signal (like the ability to access your PS3 over the internet around the world) there may be some type of hack that allows you to do it. Not now though.

You're best bet as I already said is the Wifi connector by Nintendo. It's literally a Wifi router in a USB key (there are other companies that sell these suckers that will work for any device with Wi-fi support, not just the Wii/DS Lite, but you might wind up paying more).

Yeah that won't work. It's not an access point in the way a router is. It's only a limited version strictly for LAN with the PSP (and even that's limited at the moment), so there's no internet. When they institute some form of remote play internet signal (like the ability to access your PS3 over the internet around the world) there may be some type of hack that allows you to do it. Not now though.

You're best bet as I already said is the Wifi connector by Nintendo. It's literally a Wifi router in a USB key (there are other companies that sell these suckers that will work for any device with Wi-fi support, not just the Wii/DS Lite, but you might wind up paying more).

Yeah I am going to buy the Wii wired LAN adapter from Nintendo. :) With the Wii wired seems the best way to go. I read alot of people have troubles with the Wii's wireless connection.

Edited by American Ninja

Yeah I am going to buy the Wii wired LAN adapter from Nintendo. :) With the Wii wired seems the best way to go. I read alot of people have troubles with the Wii's wireless connection.

I had troubles too until I changed the channel my router was broadcasting on. I don't remember what it was on before, 10 I think, but I changed it to 9 and all of a sudden everything was smokin. I must have picked a channel that had some interference in my building or something. Try different channels on your router and see what happens.

I had troubles too until I changed the channel my router was broadcasting on. I don't remember what it was on before, 10 I think, but I changed it to 9 and all of a sudden everything was smokin. I must have picked a channel that had some interference in my building or something. Try different channels on your router and see what happens.

Haha you're the 3rd person in this thread to say that (me included). Once I switched channels (which I did after changing every other bloody setting in the router, I never imagined it was the channel since I have nothing in my room creating interference, and other devices have no problem at all.). But the same as you, once I switched channels it was fixed. I think something hardware wise in the Wii has some big issues with certain 54g channels.