How to uninstall mDNSResponder.exe?

• 4 weeks later...
Official article from Adobe. Describes how to correct the service name, as well.

Adobe Creative Suite 3 and Creative Suite 3 components install Bonjour (Windows)

http://www.adobe.com/go/kb400982

The just of removal...

1. "C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe -remove"

2. Rename the mdnsNSP.dll file

3. Reboot

4. Delete the Bonjour folder

a bit more...adobe instructions for uninstall are not exactly complete.

useing command prompt and entering the cmd "C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe -remove"

returns error of not a recognized command etc...

to remove ...

enter >del "C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe -remove"

with " marks.

(my memory is short can't remember if I actually used the "-remove" if that does not work

then omit the "-removed" and enter "C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe")

then follow above #2 renaming to mdnsNSP.old

and #3 and 4

after ward you may want to run through reg edit and delete about a dozen keys that are left behind.

search mDNSResponder and Bonjour there is one key though for bonjour that would not delete.

Edited by putdownthepipe

What's the point of the tool? Go into services and set it to disabled.

HMMM...mods deleted prior responce...so I'll be a little nicer.

why do you ask questions that have already been answered?

read the thread before posting.

your answer is 2 posts above yours from MHouse.

wow ok, so i see it appears I have been warned. if I understand the warn (0%) XXXXX (5 red boxes) correctly

does the 0% mean no warnings left or I have yet to be warned? I ask because the red boxes appear as though

0% means last warning. if I'm wrong in my understanding let me see if I can correct it to be certain.

I think 0% means you can continue whatever you are doing.

after ward you may want to run through reg edit and delete about a dozen keys that are left behind.

search mDNSResponder and Bonjour there is one key though for bonjour that would not delete.

UMMMM...DON'T DO THIS...I checked and apparantly the keys are connected to/with winsock and when deleting the reg keys it corrupts/deletes keys for winsock and thus stops your network connection until you fix it.

ya deffinatley, leave the keys or let a reg cleanup app remove them as being unused keys. strange I've manually deleted keys from the reg many times, this is the first time it caused problems.

it royally screwed up winsock had to spend a while searching down a fix (thank god for dual boots)

anyway, if you do this you might get booted but have no desktop loaded.

I had to use safe mode and run command prompt with the cmd >netsh winsock reset

to repair and beable to boot and get my desktop/networking back.

on the flip side was an easy fix just time consuming and now I no longer have the crap in my reg.

UMMMM...DON'T DO THIS...I checked and apparantly the keys are connected to/with winsock and when deleting the reg keys it corrupts/deletes keys for winsock and thus stops your network connection until you fix it.

I can attest to this. After going into Safe Mode and deleting mDNSResponder I decided to kill all the registry entries associated with 'Bonjour.'

BAD IDEA.

After I, brainlessly, went about doing that, I was annoyed to see a WinSockets error pop up. After a restart, I realized the error in my method.

As someone said earlier....Thank God For Dual Boot!!! Without it, I wouldn't have been able to find a fix and download it. Nothing worked on my day to day OS, not even the mouse.

WinsockxpFix.exe did the trick, although the only thing I could force, literaly, to work, was cntrl-alt-del with keystroke commands. Not even my mouse functioned, nor could explorer load the desktop. It was just a blank, black screen. From the Task Manager I was able to run WinsockxpFix.

Laugh at me, but I post this so that the poor soul who repeats my retardation can find this post via google and not spend hours searching for a fix, other than reloading their entire OS.

Disable/remove the Bonjour Service ( ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## ) either by typing "C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe" -remove in the command prompt as specified by Adobe or by using TurnOffBonjour.exe.

Then edit the registry (I used TuneUP Registry Editor - 30 days Trial) and search for "mdnsNSP.dll". It will find the Installer key which may or may not be removed :)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\864614E012A08774EB1646AA5AEB0193

Then 2 more keys, IN MY CASE

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries00000000004

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries00000000004

which can be removed.

Removing these keys requires, IN MY CASE, changing the "Num_Catalog_Entries"=dword:00000004

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5

values to: "Num_Catalog_Entries"=dword:00000003

This leaves the last key redundant

55351532nh8.th.png

& it can just be removed

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries00000000004

Then upon restart, the %programfiles%\Bonjour folder can be removed & the only thing that remains is the question what gave Adobe the right to modify the way my Operating System functions.

the only thing that remains is the question what gave Adobe the right to modify the way my Operating System functions.

Perhaps someone who accepted license agreement upon installation?

The irony of all this is that disabling/deleting the service really doesn't do jack for improving performance. So while you guys are busy breaking your networking and deleting registry keys you have absolutley no idea about, other folks are busy using and enjoying our computers and not fretting over something that makes no impact in day to day usage.

The irony of all this is that disabling/deleting the service really doesn't do jack for improving performance. So while you guys are busy breaking your networking and deleting registry keys you have absolutley no idea about, other folks are busy using and enjoying our computers and not fretting over something that makes no impact in day to day usage.

Good point although knowing about the fact that a Windows system can be slowly rendered unusable by to much crap being installed, I don't support the installation of "general background tools" at all and somehow I want to have it removed as well.

Sure, I have plenty of RAM and an up to date CPU, I not gonna notice any performance gain whatsoever. But it's not about CPU/RAM, it's all about handles. When there are too many programs/services running using too many handles, the system will ran out of handles (especially Windows XP, not so Vista) and simply stop doing the simplest tasks.

btw: winsock reset renders your (3rd party)firewall ineffective, its hook into the connection gets removed although still being installed. Reinstall any firewall/http-checking anti virus products after you did a winsock reset to make it hook up again with the network connection.