Dettol safe for eyes?

No, no! Never ever put Dettol in your eyes!

I wouldn't personally recommend soapy water, either; but depending on how 'tough' your eyes are it might not hurt too much.

As long as the "dirty liquid" isn't dangerous to be ingested or anything, lots of pure water should do the trick.

If you wash your eye out with clean water for 15-20 minutes, there's minimal chance of it getting infected. What was the "dirty liquid," anyways?

You can try some polysporin if you really want to put something in there, but something made for cleaning floors and laundry probably isn't the best idea :p

The liquid was the bloody watery runoff from pork at the butchers. It happened near a preparation table where there's a whole bucket of discarded pork bits probably infested with bacteria since it wasn't refrigerated. And the butcher was cutting something and a drop of something flew out and into my eye.

I thought about Dittol because it says on the bottle that you can use it in diluted form for cleaning wounds and that it can be used safely in bathwater.

First of all you should have been wearing saftey specs.

Rinse your eye(s) out with luke warm water, use a carbonated bottle drinks lid (like the ones on a 1.5 or 2 litre cola bottle) with the luke warm water in.

Then get down to the drug store and buy a cleanser for eyes, like what was mentioned.

No way man lol dont be a hero. Dettol is used to kill bacteria, if you use it on skin diluted its ok because skin is mostly layers and layers of dead cells but the eye has active living cells so any kind of antibacterial/antiseptic will damage those living cells. Use water man, the eye also has mechanisms (tears) to remove any unwanted objects but use water and if you want to be extra safe go to the phamacist and ask for eye cleaning liquid usually its called an eye bath. Just dont drink that you will get the runs lol.

Never put anything in your eyes that are not specifically made for your eyes. You risk great damage to them otherwise.

Rinse your eye out with clean water. Expect some inflammation and soreness. If you get an infection, go to your health care provider. There are specific liquid antibiotic drops for your eyes that they can prescribe for you. Your eyes are too precious to mess with.

Barney, Registered Nurse

Plenty of water man! If not, then a cleansing solution for your eyes. If you feel pain, it might be inflamed, so antibiotic eye drops would work, i.e. Chloramphenicol eye drops. Better to check with your doctor if things get worse.

At first I thought this was a joke, surely it's common sense NOT to put Dettol in your eyes? :blink:

never assume common sense lol

At first I thought this was a joke, surely it's common sense NOT to put Dettol in your eyes? :blink:

i thought the same :rofl:

No no no. I'm an Optician. If you put that in your eyes I'd have to slap you across the face. Just use water or saline and rinse the debris out as much as possible.

If it still feels uncomfortable after a few hours then go to an Optometrist who can check for damage and/or remaining debris trapped under your eyelids.

Well too much of the stuff that comes with contact lenses hurts my eyes, so I can't imagine Dettol would be much fun. Or safe.

For those pig-blood-in-the-eye situations, I prefer to use Cillit Bang instead. I just love that Barry Scott feeling.

Although your eyes are quite weak in comparison to things such as your skin - they do have the ability to defend themselves by watering, attempting to get rid of anything unwanted.

No Dettol in ya eye's !

The only things that can go in your eye's are contact lens's, and specific eye drop's !

And fingers!

You shouldn't have put soap in your eyes either. Bloody hell, nuts man :-p

Don't put Detol in there. That would be a little bit stupid.

Purified warm water.