vista ubuntu dual boot?

Vista and Ubuntu wont dual boot. When I install Ubuntu on my 2nd hard drive then I cannot boot into windows anymore. I used to be able to do this with XP and vista beta but now cannot do this anymore with the retail of Vista. I could just install Linux and in the grub boot loader it would give me a choice on wich OS I want to boot. Now that this option is gon ( wich is dumb) I had to uninstall linux. Well its been months now and I want to give linux another try.

Anyone know an EASY solution for a newb to do?

Also when you upgrade to a new os its suppost to make your life easier not harder. Anyone know why they did this?

No that was to complicated for me. Why should I have to? Shouldn't it auto detect Vista like it used to auto detect XP. Ubuntu 7 was made after vista so it should be designed to detect vista right? It used to do it with XP

Also when you upgrade to a new os its suppost to make your life easier not harder. Anyone know why they did this?
Sure, the upgrade is easy. Boot Ubuntu and tell it to take over the whole drive.

After all, Windows does pretty much the same thing to make it easy.

On a serious side, GRUB should be able to detect and add Vista to its boot list. I have never dual-booted Linux and Vista, but can say for sure it did with XP and earlier.

Ubuntu 7.04 had no trouble detecting Vista when I installed it. Does it see your Vista partition when you run off the Live CD?

i believe if you install ubuntu/linux on a 2nd drive that it does not properly install grub nor install other os into grub so you MUST manually add it

Well XP and Ubuntu used to automatically detect it on this same machine when they were installed on the same 2 differnt hard drives.. So its kinda dumb that when you upgrade to vista and ubuntu 7 this feature is taken out.

I have 2 hard drives in my Dell Dimension 8200. The first one wich is C is 255 gigs. The 2nd one wich is D 120 gigs. I know my second hard drive is HDA (0,0) it says. Well what would my my first hard drive C wich is 255 gigs be? I need to know so I can configure the grub boot loader in linux.

Ok I installed ubuntu on my 2nd hard drive because someone gave me a good link in that post with pictures step by step on how to change the grub boot loader. I know how to do that know. I just have one question left.

I have 2 hard drives in my Dell Dimension 8200. The first one wich is C is 255 gigs. The 2nd one wich is D 120 gigs. I know my second hard drive is HDA (0,0) it says. Well what would my my first hard drive C wich is 255 gigs be? I need to know so I can configure the grub boot loader in linux.

You can install ubuntu on the same hard drive (different partition), but grub usually will automatically add windows to boot list. (happened for me every time).(why is your system partition so big?)

You would have to repartition D drive for linux too. (linux can't be installed to NTFS) Easiest way is to do that is to use gparted live cd and either shrink the partition or delete it all together. Then run ubuntu installer and select something along the lines of "automatically set up partitions on unallocated space"

Ok I installed ubuntu on my 2nd hard drive because someone gave me a good link in that post with pictures step by step on how to change the grub boot loader. I know how to do that know. I just have one question left.

Wouldn't HDA (0,0) be your first hard drive -- the C drive?

Well, how about popping in the Ubuntu live cd, opening a terminal and typing:

fdisk -l

(that's a lowercase "L" not a number 1)

This will tell us which disk is which.

Well, how about popping in the Ubuntu live cd, opening a terminal and typing:

fdisk -l

(that's a lowercase "L" not a number 1)

This will tell us which disk is which.

I tried that nothing happend and I typed it exactly how you had it written.

I have Ubuntu on a totally differnt hard drive than the one on windows. Windows it on Drive C 255 Gigs and Ubuntu is on Drive D 120 gigs.

Well XP and Ubuntu used to automatically detect it on this same machine when they were installed on the same 2 differnt hard drives.. So its kinda dumb that when you upgrade to vista and ubuntu 7 this feature is taken out.
Understand this... The "feature" is not taken out.

As long as you install GRUB to the MBR of your first drive, it should work. If you try to change it so GRUB is on your second drive, BIOS won't boot from it, and Windows won't see it, so you don't get Ubuntu boot ability without going into your BIOS to change boot order.

I really don't think that the Linux community is deliberately removing support for dual-booting with Vista, just to irritate nukenorman.

Wouldn't HDA (0,0) be your first hard drive -- the C drive?

That is correct.

HDA (1,0) would be the second hard drive, first partition.

HDA (1,1) for the second drve, second partition, and so forth.

That is correct.

HDA (1,0) would be the second hard drive, first partition.

HDA (1,1) for the second drve, second partition, and so forth.

I thought so. Thanks for confirming. Was getting just a little bit confused there for a moment. :blink:

Ok I found out the HD that windows is installed on is HDA 1,0. Now when I boot up windows in grub it says

"starting up....."

boot MGR missing

press control alt delete to restart

please help!!!!

Edited by nukenorman

## ## End Default Options ##

title Windows Vista

root (hd1,0)

makeactive

chainloader +1

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=a27269db-1158-4ad4-9158-12eb0116430f ro quiet splash

initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic

quiet

savedefault

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic (recovery mode)

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=a27269db-1158-4ad4-9158-12eb0116430f ro single

initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic

title Ubuntu, memtest86+

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

Does it boot Ubuntu, but not Vista?

Just trying to find out what parts are working, and what is not.