Apple's "New" GUI

Apple's "New" GUI  

725 members have voted

1. 1. Yay or Nay?

• Kicks Ass!
    • Meh, Who Cares?
    • Utter Piece of Garbage

Looks like a bug how when you click on the Apple menu icon & menu items the icon & text change to white, but the Spotlight icon remains black when clicked on :blink:

They sure did pick vile colours. Feels like 3 themes slapped together. No colour coordination in that.

However, I don't care about that now as I have seen one of the most awesome slickest themes behind the scenes. Which I'm not too bothered running Shapeshifter 24/7 when Leopard arrives. It's everything I hoped illuminous would be. So beautiful, so useable so damn hot!

I just can't believe how hobbyists can produce better UI 's than big corporations, and this is Apple's answer to it.

I even got the icons that was kicking about somewhere, loaded them in Pixadex to see then Candybar. To me personally I think the folder icons are so vile. Bland could not even describe it.

They sure did pick vile colours. Feels like 3 themes slapped together. No colour coordination in that.

However, I don't care about that now as I have seen one of the most awesome slickest themes behind the scenes. Which I'm not too bothered running Shapeshifter 24/7 when Leopard arrives. It's everything I hoped illuminous would be. So beautiful, so useable so damn hot!

I just can't believe how hobbyists can produce better UI 's than big corporations, and this is Apple's answer to it.

I even got the icons that was kicking about somewhere, loaded them in Pixadex to see then Candybar. To me personally I think the folder icons are so vile. Bland could not even describe it.

And this is why we have opinions. :yes:

I'm personally finding that this new UI is really growing on me. It definitely needs tweaking (most of the nitpick is just a side-effect of making everything vector) but it truly is nice.

Not sure I follow that part. Are you talking about a different theme Apple is designing for Mac OS X Leopard or a 3rd party one?

Not sure I follow that part. Are you talking about a different theme Apple is designing for Mac OS X Leopard or a 3rd party one?

He is talking about a 3rd party theme. One being developed which he has seen. One that he wished the official OS X interface would look like, coined "illuminious" by Mac OS X users. It turned out just to be the Quick Looks UI as I and others expected.

Illuminious is the iPhone UI :/ Leopard not having a completely redesigned UI proves that. HUD palettes for an entire UI would be pretty bad IMO. Anyone got a screenshot of this Shapeshifter theme?

Definitely plenty of UI bugs in Leopard. It's actually pretty stable for me though. Finder's crashed once since I started using it this morning, and that was when using Cover Flow over the network.

Could you list a couple of the more glaring UI bugs? I'm curious, since Leo has been incredibly fast and smooth (eyecandy animations) so far.

It is NOT incredibly fast and smooth visually. The only thing that's smoothest than ever is Spotlight. I've seen this app quick sometimes, but never as quick as Leopard... I really have no idea of what they did with it, but it's crazy.

.Neo has already posted a small list of GUI bugs a few pages back. It's also to notice that some links between the applications have no style, so it screws up the small paragraphs of text in which they are.

There is still much work to do. On top of the GUI issues, the graphics drivers need updating. I get low fps within the UI where I did not have them before. I am having issues with the remote control as well. The new frontrow UI look great and responds well (though my volume control through the remote does not work). I also think the audio quality has dropped a bit, so those drivers might need updating as well.

Could you list a couple of the more glaring UI bugs? I'm curious, since Leo has been incredibly fast and smooth (eyecandy animations) so far.

When I use Spaces or Expose or Dash Board, the dock remains on screen but without any icons on it. And it still has its reflection lol

that is a pretty big UI bug to me and it looks stupid.

Also the Dock's movements when its set to magnification are very sloshy almost Windows XP like when you grab a window and drag it around furiously.

When I use Spaces or Expose or Dash Board, the dock remains on screen but without any icons on it. And it still has its reflection lol

that is a pretty big UI bug to me and it looks stupid.

Also the Dock's movements when its set to magnification are very sloshy almost Windows XP like when you grab a window and drag it around furiously.

Uh . . . not from where I'm sitting. Exactly the opposite - in fact, ALL visual effects are incredibly smooth. Heck I've got four spaces open right now, and switching is fast and smooth. What's your setup? Speed, RAM, vidcard, etc?

See, this is the problem: one person experiences a particular bug, while the other does not. Please don't tell me something is wrong with spaces and the dock, when *for me* they're fine. Maybe *your* configuration is the problem. Did you do a clean install of Leo, or did you just upgrade?

I find that the major cause of all these problems (at least in part) is people doing an upgrade instead of doing a completely clean install of Leopard. I wiped my hard drive, erased all through disk utility (I backed up all my stuff to dvds prior) and installed Leopard. Not one noticeable bug yet, apart from perhaps certain graphical design/spacing flaws, but none that I've really noticed. In fact, this preview build of Leo seems to be faster and more stable than Tiger! Strange but true . . . under *my* system.

And this thing about Mail crashing . . . what's that? I've been sending and receiving e-mails from my auto-configured (wow) gmail account for about 48 hours, with Mail open constantly, and in its own space. Works like a charm.

The only real problems I've encountered so far are certain apps that simply don't work, but so far it's only been one for me (NeoOffice, I don't use it though, just there to modify .doc files when I get them.) But the list is a very subjective one. The apps I use every day might not be the ones you use.

My specs:

imac core duo 1.83ghz

1gb RAM

Radeon X1600 128mb

My system isn't even 64-bit, is a bit over a year old (rendered obsolete by the core 2 duo), and this beta OS that allegedly offers much more than Tiger, at least graphically, is taking it like a man. The only annoyance is that Quicktime takes a bit more time to recognize files that require perian/avi/xvid codecs. Perhaps it's a codec issue, perhaps a Quicktime issue. Either way, it's nothing major. And Quicklook doesn't let me play .wmv clips (I have Flip4mac installed), they can only be played by opening them directly in Quicktime. They play fine in Safari. But this is on *my* configuration, and does not necessarily represent the experiences of others. Hey, Not bad for an older machine.

I did a fresh install on a new drive.

Core Duo

17" MacBook Pro

2GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM

X1600 256MB GDDR3

100GB 7,200 Drive (But I installed on to a USB 5,200RPM 40GB hard drive)

Anything else you want oh enchanted one?

I did a fresh install on a new drive.

Core Duo

17" MacBook Pro

2GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM

X1600 256MB GDDR3

100GB 7,200 Drive (But I installed on to a USB 5,200RPM 40GB hard drive)

Anything else you want oh enchanted one?

Don't know what to tell ya. Quite frankly, with all the conflicting reports about bugs, UI issues, speed issues, etc., it seems that build 9a466 was not intended to be released for the purposes of a bug-hunting excursion. It was intended as a framework in which developers could start their work. Unless of course, Apple is unaware that Leopard seems to perform differently from configuration to configuration.

I really can't explain it beyond what I've already stated.

Uh . . . not from where I'm sitting. Exactly the opposite - in fact, ALL visual effects are incredibly smooth. Heck I've got four spaces open right now, and switching is fast and smooth. What's your setup? Speed, RAM, vidcard, etc?

See, this is the problem: one person experiences a particular bug, while the other does not. Please don't tell me something is wrong with spaces and the dock, when *for me* they're fine. Maybe *your* configuration is the problem. Did you do a clean install of Leo, or did you just upgrade?

I find that the major cause of all these problems (at least in part) is people doing an upgrade instead of doing a completely clean install of Leopard. I wiped my hard drive, erased all through disk utility (I backed up all my stuff to dvds prior) and installed Leopard. Not one noticeable bug yet, apart from perhaps certain graphical design/spacing flaws, but none that I've really noticed. In fact, this preview build of Leo seems to be faster and more stable than Tiger! Strange but true . . . under *my* system.

And this thing about Mail crashing . . . what's that? I've been sending and receiving e-mails from my auto-configured (wow) gmail account for about 48 hours, with Mail open constantly, and in its own space. Works like a charm.

Christ, maybe you should learn to come to grips with the fact that some people might have problems with the beta build of something, let alone an operating system. God damn. There really needs to be another Apple forum for all the rabid idiots to post in so everyone else can have an actual discussion without the one-sided "APPLE IS GOD AND CAN DO NO WRONG" posts.

I am going to be a sucker and agree with him above, as I have the exact same configuration as he and have had no problems at all...and man what the heck did they do to Spotlight, the searches are instant.

Christ, maybe you should learn to come to grips with the fact that some people might have problems with the beta build of something, let alone an operating system. God damn. There really needs to be another Apple forum for all the rabid idiots to post in so everyone else can have an actual discussion without the one-sided "APPLE IS GOD AND CAN DO NO WRONG" posts.

Well that's exactly the problem. It seems difficult to reproduce bugs from system to system. My issue happens to be that Quicktime problem I stated above. And I think my answer to WinMacLin was pretty fair, and I'm sure he was preparing a fair and reasonable reply.

Don't know what to tell ya. Quite frankly, with all the conflicting reports about bugs, UI issues, speed issues, etc., it seems that build 9a466 was not intended to be released for the purposes of a bug-hunting excursion. It was intended as a framework in which developers could start their work. Unless of course, Apple is unaware that Leopard seems to perform differently from configuration to configuration.

I really can't explain it beyond what I've already stated.

You wanted to know which was a more hefty bug. So I posted one I was experiencing. You came off as pretty arrogant when I said about the bug as if I don't know how bugs manifest themselves. I wasn't looking for an education. I was just giving you the information you requested as I'm sure all the ones Neo expirenced he had already posted (the major ones he could remember when posting). I felt my dock bug was a rather major one.

To begin with this beta was indeed not meant for the public which is why I have not posted about the bugs previously as I know this is just a developers technology preview. But you requested it and you shall receive.

I have no such thing as a dock that stays when I summon Expos? or Spaces. The bugs I have here are all minor, except for the graphics speed.

I have the graphics speed issue but only effecting the dock (The sloshing effect I mentioned in a previous post) the other graphics are all fine.

Infact here is a picture of it on my install with Spaces.

Spaces.jpg

as you can see the Dock is still visible at the bottom. And infact if I move one of those windows down inside the Spaces window it will be reflected but I took this screeny many days ago and I cannot take another to illustrate it right now.

Edited by WinMacLin

I'm the one working on the theme voo mentioned. I will post a shot of it publically when I have a chance to get the majority of it done. I'm trying not to announce anything too early in the design process. Due time though.

LOL it's a pretty funny bug... but I haven't tried Spaces with a 2x2 grid, only a 1x4.

Btw... the resolution independency was supposed to be for accessibility options only I think, but when I zoom on the screen, I can see all the pixels. It's not as smooth as in Tiger... what happened with that feature?

LOL it's a pretty funny bug... but I haven't tried Spaces with a 2x2 grid, only a 1x4.

Btw... the resolution independency was supposed to be for accessibility options only I think, but when I zoom on the screen, I can see all the pixels. It's not as smooth as in Tiger... what happened with that feature?

I think you might've just turned off smoothing. Resolution independence is going to be in there soon though. You can definitely see that the UI is full vector. Zooming probably still just works on the top layer of the OS (so it's zooming in on what's already been rendered [the raster output]).

My UI bugs aren't bugs. They're just nitpicking at everything that isn't really polished off yet. The buttons have some jaggy, unsightly edges. The scrollbars are kinda weird and jaggy/blocking looking. The close/min/max buttons have some jaggy edges and the x/-/+ in them are semi-blurry. Just things like that. Things that'll certainly get polished before final release. Every actual animation and action in Leopard was lightning fast.

And I agree about Spotlight. It's blazing fast!

I'm still hoping Aqua will be replaced by the iTunes 7 interface elements (buttons, scrollbars, etc.) in Leopard. This way OS X would become consistent with the new Apple.com and iPhone UI color scheme (matte blue + gray). Aqua looks really lame without the pinstripes and with the dark gray titlebars and toolbars. Plus, it's seven years old, which is like 70 in computer years.

The new dock's alright -- doesn't look all that great on the left side like I prefer in Tiger. I really hate the transparent menu bar. I'm trying it out as my main OS for a while and I'm having to use a gray background just so it looks normal.

I'm still hoping Aqua will be replaced by the iTunes 7 interface elements (buttons, scrollbars, etc.) in Leopard. This way OS X would become consistent with the new Apple.com and iPhone UI color scheme (matte blue + gray). Aqua looks really lame without the pinstripes and with the dark gray titlebars and toolbars. Plus, it's seven years old, which is like 70 in computer years.

I wish Apple would use the iPhone's red glossy notification badges as for Mail, iChat etc. in Mac OS X Leopard as well. The current badgets don't really fit in with the new Dock style, way too flat, matte and a bit dated

Edited by .Neo