Blu-ray disc coatings starting to rot?

another possibility is that the company that makes these cds received a bad batch of plastic?

I was just saying that its a CD and not human lives :p (the reference to plastic being synecdoche for the BD) . I'm betting that the enviroment in which they were produced was not kept correctly (perhaps too much moisture in the air? I don't know much about CD manufacturing, unfortunately)

none of my blu-ray disks so it's not a problem with mine though i do keep them in their case and not laying around or in sun :)

I never said that a dual-layer Blu-ray disk was anything less than 50Gb and if you bothered to read what I posted, I mentioned that dual layer disks were twice as big as the standard ones....

Then why compare dual-layer DVDs to single-player Blu-Ray discs? That's deliberately trying to distort things. If 200GB Blu-Ray discs are actually released then that should be all the hi-def generation needs. Sure I'd prefer holographic discs and the such but you've got to upgrade some time and I was never happy with the quality of DVDs... I though the original DVD format was too rushed and I think HD-DVD was also rushed and launched with too near-sighted goals.