For God's sake! Fix the Folder View settings bug!

• 3 months later...

The most annoying thing is when whenever there are a couple if pictures, windows changes the columns to "date taken" and such things.

Or when there is a music file in the windows "downloads" folder and windows changes the blue icon to a yellow icon that has a music file inside

I come across this problem frequently, and quite frankly it becomes more and more annoying each time I encounter it. Sometimes it decides to use 'Extra Large Icons' view in a folder where it's obviously not needed. It's ridiculous!

I see this issue as well, both on XP and Vista x64 (SP1, all updates, no service tweaks, no dll hacking).

I can save folder views and window sizes for only a short amount of time, but after a few days, every single folder slowly changes to look like this (including Pictures, system folders, Music, Videos, Documents, Program Files, etc).

post-17075-1208655941_thumb.jpg

This is an annoying problem, but it can be fixed by a simple registry tweak. I always run this after installing a fresh copy of Vista.

and Xp sp2 ? i have that proplem too, anything there for it ?

MS is not going to know unless we let them know so let them know!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed. I'll send a link to scobleizer and see if he can lead is to the right developer at MS land.

..done!

Edited by cropcircles

• 2 months later...
Bump.

I found this thread.

Yes!!!

Will try the link ViperAFK posted, method 2 to download.

Hope that will do.

Yeah the link I posted does work, but keep it bookmarked becuse after a while it comes back :( This is definitely the most annoying bug in vista.

Unfortunately SP1 didn't fix this for me. I need to delete the bags every couple months or so to keep Vista from forgetting my folder settings.

After deleting the bags everything works nicely for some time, then one folder forgets its settings (window size, view settings) and eventually more and more folders start reverting back to default settings. Some folders just forget view settings while some seem to get a complete reset and start opening up using the default window size.

Personally, I don't actually use custom view settings for different folders. So, what I did was to delete off the values in both Bags keys, then right-click on them to set the Permissions to deny every privilege for all users. This prevents Vista from modifying the values over time.

The problem has since been resolved for good!

I'll have to give that a go. It's absolutely infuriating that Vista keeps forgetting my folder view settings - it seems such a trivial issue to address that I'm astounded that Microsoft hasn't fixed it.

This always happens to me.

Has been doing it since the Windows XP days. But back then I set all my folders the way i liked, then I removed permissions to the registry keys that contained the information to change folder view settings. I set it to only allow reading of the entries and it worked like a charm in XP.

However, in vista it doesn't :-\

I don't know if someone else mentioned this as well, but what's also really annoying is the default window size.

You just can't set what you want it to be. MS decided to make the default window size really small. What's worse, is that I like to have big icons. So, I can hardly see anything on newly opened windows, because the damn window size is too small.

I really don't understand why they haven't fixed this issue yet. It's not like it's rare or difficult to locate. And it IS really, really annoying.