what to look for in a Tripod

I'm looking to get a new tripod, as my last one broke on me. What sort of features should I look for, and are there any models/brands you guys recommend?

I've got a fairly old Manfrotto 190B tripod lying around here which I'm really pleased with, however if you're in the market for a new one and use it often I'd suggest something like the Manfrotto 055DB in combination with a Manfrotto 486RC2 ball-head which gives you more freedom and accuracy than a regular tripod head.

Yeah, I'm a Manfrotto kind of guy :p and keep in mind that the 'better' tripods don't come with heads/mounting thingy's, you need to buy them separately if you're looking for a good tripod.

I also can suggest bringing your camera and your heaviest lens to a shop and just ask if you can test a few, that'll probably be the best thing to do.

Yeah, I'm a Manfrotto kind of guy :p and keep in mind that the 'better' tripods don't come with heads/mounting thingy's, you need to buy them separately if you're looking for a good tripod.

I also can suggest bringing your camera and your heaviest lens to a shop and just ask if you can test a few, that'll probably be the best thing to do.

ooh thanks for those tips, was not expecting that.

Gitzo and Manfrotto are nice and all, but I don't buy into the hype that a lot of people throw around for them. I picked up a tripod just as stable with similar quality for less than what you would pay for some of the Gitzo and Bogen/Manfrotto tripods. This is the tripod that I settled for: http://www.amvona.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=1954

I bought it from a pro in the area used for $70 and threw on a Manfrotto 804RC2 head. Can't really complain at all. It's extremely stable and cost me less than what I would spend for JUST a comparable set of Manfrotto legs.

Gitzo and Manfrotto are nice and all, but I don't buy into the hype that a lot of people throw around for them. I picked up a tripod just as stable with similar quality for less than what you would pay for some of the Gitzo and Bogen/Manfrotto tripods. This is the tripod that I settled for: http://www.amvona.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=1954

I bought it from a pro in the area used for $70 and threw on a Manfrotto 804RC2 head. Can't really complain at all. It's extremely stable and cost me less than what I would spend for JUST a comparable set of Manfrotto legs.

The difference between what you got and the gitzos and manfrottos is that in wind yours will shake, the others will not (or at the very least not as badly). That's why those ones are so expensive. Their tolenrances are closer, and they use better materials.

I'm not saying your tripod's bad, infact I'm sure it's quite good, but you do get what you pay for.

I live in Oregon, where it will rain one minute, be sunny the next, snow 30 minutes later, and then get blasted with a wind storm. I am usually at the coast with my camera. I have no issues at all with this tripod. I did my research before I bought one. I tested all different makes and models under the sun and found no real difference between most of them and the one that I settled on. I just happened to run into a guy that was selling the exact model of legs about 2 weeks before I had planned on ordering them.

Definitively three legs.
Yes, by definition a tripod has three legs. LOL.

But, I would recommend one that allows you adjust the azimuth 360 degrees (walk around it in a circle) while allowing the camera to remain 'flat' to the horizon, or even a few degrees below the horizon. You should be able to spin the camera in a full circle along the horizon and adjust it's angle from (at least) horizontal to completely vertical without any interference from the legs of the tripod. You should be able to point it straight up, or keep it flat, and spin it around, left-to-right, and not have any problems doing so.

The best ones will allow you to dip below the horizon and rotate 360 degres without interference.

Why do I feel I was redundant?

I live in Oregon, where it will rain one minute, be sunny the next, snow 30 minutes later, and then get blasted with a wind storm. I am usually at the coast with my camera. I have no issues at all with this tripod. I did my research before I bought one. I tested all different makes and models under the sun and found no real difference between most of them and the one that I settled on. I just happened to run into a guy that was selling the exact model of legs about 2 weeks before I had planned on ordering them.

Beaverton! I stayed there once. My car got a flat tire there :(

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a crap sunpac 6500 from best buy for 50$. I will use that for a bit then upgrade to a carbon fiber at xmas time when the wife gets me my presents. Just look for something that is stable. Mess with the controls to make sure they are smooth. Make sure the controls lock down properly and the stand does not shake at every breeze.

3 legs and a place for the camera is a good start, really it depends what you want, u could get a tall tripod for lots of different heights and angles