Street Racing + California Cops =?

I know a lot of people who street race. They would gladly do it on a track, but since the tracks here like to charge outragous amounts of money just for one pass, it's cheaper for them to just fill up their tanks a few times.

I like to find challenging roads to drive. I usually drive around and spot places out and find out when there are no people on that road. And then I usually have a friend a quarter to a half mile ahead of me watching for traffic police. I would love to be able to drive on a track, but there aren't any near me and the closest ones charge you an arm and a leg.

As for people getting killed by street racers, I know a guy who killed an old lady when he t-boned her after he was racing someone. Granted it was stupid, but the guy was never bright in the first place. I know quite a few smart people who street race and do it responsibly. They go and find places where there is noone else around and they try to bring people with them to keep them off the busy streets.

So if we are going to punish street racers with crushing their cars, why not do it to all traffic violators? You speed, car crushed. You don't come to a full and complete stop, car crushed. You don't use your turn signals properly, car crushed. Etc, etc...

I know quite a few smart people who street race and do it responsibly.

Their/your definition of responsible differs to mine. Mine doesn't include the arrogant use of public highways to serve their own ego-boosting agenda.

There are track days held at almost every (non-road) circuit the world over - it's how they stay in existence.

They aren't that pricy if you go with a number of people or an owners club.

They are also properly supervised.

The "no circuits / too expensive" argument really doesn't hold water to be honest...

There are track days held at almost every (non-road) circuit the world over - it's how they stay in existence.

They aren't that pricy if you go with a number of people or an owners club.

They are also properly supervised.

The "no circuits / too expensive" argument really doesn't hold water to be honest...

Agreed, ive been to a local drag where i knew a few people running 1/4's on their car....its was $15 for all day...$25 a day if you wanted the printed paper with your time and speed on it

if they started doing that where I drive I would never stop for a police car again.

You'd be in prison before you could say antidisestablishmentarianism.

If it is a weekend race track car then you'd need to own a trailer to get it to the course. You will, obviously, not be allowed to drive there on a public road since souped up cars are not allowed on the public roads.

Thanks for the good laugh. I honestly laughed out loud at this post. Talk about somebody giving input on a subject they know absolutely nothing about!

Thanks for the good laugh. I honestly laughed out loud at this post. Talk about somebody giving input on a subject they know absolutely nothing about!

we get a lot of that around here.

Ontario furious about fast-moving vehicles

Canadian Press

June 20, 2007 at 3:52 PM EDT

Toronto ? The government has the power to seize and destroy cars that have been adapted for street racing, and can do so before a race takes place or any charges are laid, Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant said Wednesday.

Car junkies who pour thousands of dollars into their vehicles to make them as fast as possible are wasting their money, Mr. Bryant said.

He warned potential racers that all it takes is a tip from police to seize and destroy their cars.

"If we can establish someone has parts and they're juicing up their car ? obviously for the purpose of street racing ? then we can seize those vehicles," Mr. Bryant said.

"We will seize it and you will never see it again. We will crush your car, we will crush the parts."

Mr. Bryant said cars built for street racing are as dangerous as explosives and can cause catastrophic damage.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home

While I don't agree with street racing, I also do not agree with this.

Crushing the car just because it is souped up is wrong. You have to catch them doing the deed before doing this.

This is like putting people on trial for murder just because they own a gun, and a gun can be used to kill someone.

If the car has illegal parts on it, remove those parts but let them have the car back (until they are caught racing obviously).

I am an OLD guy, at 41. My opinion comes from years of "experience". First off, crushing the cars isn't an answer it is a knee-jerk reaction. Some city official got a bug up his you know where and everyone jumped on the bandwagon. The other solution, impounding and selling at auction, will result in another street racer buying the car and doing the same thing. And then there is the "solution" of making a street racing lane for fast drivers to safely do their thing. That is ridiculous. Oh, and by the way, the murderers, rapists, and drug dealers are being found and prosecuted and sometimes put to death, but the cops don't sit around in the donut shops just waiting for those to happen, they have lots of other laws to enforce.

Get to the heart of the problem and show these kids the results of something they think won't happen. Show them the pictures of the bodies of the other ones who it did happen to, and their families, and the innocent bystanders who were killed and their families. I hate to say kids but isn't that who a majority of these people are. They have no respect for the law and skirting around it by finding a place doesn't make it any better.

Illegal racing is ILLEGAL, period. If there isn't a way for you to race legally, get another hobby that is legal. Heck, buy a video game and race there, nothing illegal there (unless you talk to Jack Thompson)

I am an OLD guy, at 41. My opinion comes from years of "experience". First off, crushing the cars isn't an answer it is a knee-jerk reaction. Some city official got a bug up his you know where and everyone jumped on the bandwagon. The other solution, impounding and selling at auction, will result in another street racer buying the car and doing the same thing. And then there is the "solution" of making a street racing lane for fast drivers to safely do their thing. That is ridiculous. Oh, and by the way, the murderers, rapists, and drug dealers are being found and prosecuted and sometimes put to death, but the cops don't sit around in the donut shops just waiting for those to happen, they have lots of other laws to enforce.

Get to the heart of the problem and show these kids the results of something they think won't happen. Show them the pictures of the bodies of the other ones who it did happen to, and their families, and the innocent bystanders who were killed and their families. I hate to say kids but isn't that who a majority of these people are. They have no respect for the law and skirting around it by finding a place doesn't make it any better.

Illegal racing is ILLEGAL, period. If there isn't a way for you to race legally, get another hobby that is legal. Heck, buy a video game and race there, nothing illegal there (unless you talk to Jack Thompson)

i dont really think its a lack of understanding on the part of the street racer that causes them to race. im fairly certain everyone street racing is aware of the consequences but can rationalize it for themselves in some fashion. to assume that there are people who lagitmitly think there is ZERO chance of them getting into an accident i think is silly. i don't think anyone is truly THAT stupid. video games and race tracks however, are not reasonable alternatives for people who love to race. there are monitory and availability concerns with the race track suggestion and video games don't come anywhere close to actually racing. thats like telling someone to go smoke virtual crack to sustain there addiction.

however im glad to see someone who is against street racing is still rational enough to realize that crushing the car is both wrong and wont solve the problem.

When there used to be illegal street racing in an industrial area like 8-10 years ago, we had some truckers that encourage the racing event by blocking off some roads so police cant get passed. While the truckers did fine, someone recorded this event and submitted it to the police. After that, they found 25 cars and arrested 50 people.

Tooo bad the police ****ed up that road since added something to the road so that it will make the cars travel slower(like put some kind of tiny gravel pieces or added a weird asphalt layer)

there are monitory and availability concerns with the race track suggestion

Do you mean monetary? Surely the fact that these people are able to buy, run, and modify these cars means that money isn't really that much of a problem?

Having spent a large proportion of my younger years racing single seaters and saloon cars, being on a proper track with proper safety measures and experienced opponents is a much bigger thrill than street racing illegally. You can push much harder knowing that if you do make a mistake you have a high probability of walking away from it. Unless you are very unlucky, you have a very low risk of being killed or killing someone else by making a mistake - or getting caught up in someone else's.

Proper track day cars need not be expensive or not road legal. I used to run an E34 BMW 535i Sport as a backup everyday driver and a track day car with a rollcage, proper harnesses and so on. Didn't cost me a fortune to buy or run, and I got about 20 trackdays a year in it, all for under ?100 ($200 US) a session. It went to the Nurburgring and back at least twice a year - a round trip of over 1600 miles. In 3 years, the car cost me fuel and insurance, and (slighty above average) servicing. I sold it for what I had put into buying it and having the rollcage and so on fitted

There are plenty of legal alternitives available, but, several people seem to have this "Fast & the Furious" attitude that "racing" in a straight line on public roads is the be all and end all. Trust me, it's not. I don't necessarily agree with the car crushing thing, but, the more arguments I read here against it draws me closer to thinking it's not a bad idea at all...

Do you mean monetary? Surely the fact that these people are able to buy, run, and modify these cars means that money isn't really that much of a problem?

Having spent a large proportion of my younger years racing single seaters and saloon cars, being on a proper track with proper safety measures and experienced opponents is a much bigger thrill than street racing illegally. You can push much harder knowing that if you do make a mistake you have a high probability of walking away from it. Unless you are very unlucky, you have a very low risk of being killed or killing someone else by making a mistake - or getting caught up in someone else's.

Proper track day cars need not be expensive or not road legal. I used to run an E34 BMW 535i Sport as a backup everyday driver and a track day car with a rollcage, proper harnesses and so on. Didn't cost me a fortune to buy or run, and I got about 20 trackdays a year in it, all for under ?100 ($200 US) a session. It went to the Nurburgring and back at least twice a year - a round trip of over 1600 miles. In 3 years, the car cost me fuel and insurance, and (slighty above average) servicing. I sold it for what I had put into buying it and having the rollcage and so on fitted

There are plenty of legal alternitives available, but, several people seem to have this "Fast & the Furious" attitude that "racing" in a straight line on public roads is the be all and end all. Trust me, it's not. I don't necessarily agree with the car crushing thing, but, the more arguments I read here against it draws me closer to thinking it's not a bad idea at all...

i did meen monetary, yes. but you sort of answered your own question, you stated yourself that you dont need an expensive car to road race, and thus i think the financial aspect of track days and such is a factor.

i myself spent a fair bit of time in the racing scene when i worked for Skip Barber racing school and i have never seen a day of racing for anything close to $200 with everything included. track racing required suficent brakes, multiple sets of tires, and extra safety equipment if you want to be competitive. even at a near stock level.

what other legal alternatives are there other then a track day or a night at the strip?

ill agree with you on the Fast and the Bi-curious attitude that drag racing is the bees knees. i like to think of the circuit track to drag racing comparison like the failed doctors become dentists comparison. anyone can go fast in a straight line. ill admit, there is some skill involved in sandbagging your way to victory in drag racing or bracket drag racing. however imho, turns are where all fun is!

Proper track day cars need not be expensive or not road legal. I used to run an E34 BMW 535i Sport as a backup everyday driver and a track day car with a rollcage, proper harnesses and so on.

In Ontario, if you modify your car to support racing then you risk having your car impounded and crushed. The police are relying on the fear that will cause to dissuade people from modifying their cars. Although I was ridiculed for saying this before, if you are going to race cars on a private track, you would need a trailer to get it there for the race.

In Ontario, if you modify your car to support racing then you risk having your car impounded and crushed. The police are relying on the fear that will cause to dissuade people from modifying their cars. Although I was ridiculed for saying this before, if you are going to race cars on a private track, you would need a trailer to get it there for the race.

thats not exactly what you said. you said any car that gets raced is a race car. i simply stated that its not uncommon for people to race bone stock off the lot sedans, that would be perfecly legal.

on that note, one does not require after market parts to race or drive fast. so this law is bogus.

i myself spent a fair bit of time in the racing scene when i worked for Skip Barber racing school and i have never seen a day of racing for anything close to $200 with everything included. track racing required suficent brakes, multiple sets of tires, and extra safety equipment if you want to be competitive. even at a near stock level.

what other legal alternatives are there other then a track day or a night at the strip?

Trackdays aren't the same thing as track racing though.

Plenty of track days cost well under ?100 / $200 here through forums and owners clubs. For example, see http://www.bhptrackdays.co.uk/events.php

And there are plenty of cheap motorsports series around, here for example, there's everything from lawn mower racing up. There are things like the LoCost championship to karting - none of which cost more than a few thousand a season...

See http://www.locost-racing.com/ for one person's break down of what it cost him for a season, including getting his racing license...

The cars themselves aren't illegal- it's what people do with them. So crushing the cars is kind of a stupid idea. They should part the cars out and use the profit to make a safe area to race. I bet if there were designated places to race, the problem would not be as big as it is today.

The cars themselves aren't illegal- it's what people do with them. So crushing the cars is kind of a stupid idea. They should part the cars out and use the profit to make a safe area to race. I bet if there were designated places to race, the problem would not be as big as it is today.

Until someone gets hurt and they or the family members want to sue. Liability sucks.

thats not exactly what you said. you said any car that gets raced is a race car. i simply stated that its not uncommon for people to race bone stock off the lot sedans, that would be perfecly legal.

on that note, one does not require after market parts to race or drive fast. so this law is bogus.

This law was not designed to target people who drive normal cars quickly. This law was designed to specifically target people who spend thousands of dollars converting their cars to racing machines. This law was designed to stop the habitual racer that risks lives each and every month.

This law was not designed to target people who drive normal cars quickly. This law was designed to specifically target people who spend thousands of dollars converting their cars to racing machines. This law was designed to stop the habitual racer that risks lives each and every month.

My car has no speed governor, and no rev limiter. Both were removed by me. Do you think I race?

While I'm not one for street racing, I love the look and feel of tuned cars.

I had a Nissan Maxima that was modified, both in handling and engine. I did a couple street races, but then wised up to the fact that that could get me nowhere... fast.

I kept the Maxima until it was time to let go (transmission, clutch, could not afford to fix). I now drive a Ford Focus.

On top of that, I learned that if I want to work on cars, I will keep one as a daily driver (stock), and then have my toys for a second car (weekend/summer).

At any rate, if I did have a nicely done car, and the cops were just looking to have it crushed because it looked like a "racer"< I would want the cop to come up with some sort of evidence that I actually do street race, or anything of the sort. It's called being responsible, which some people refuse to do, they just want to prove who's the bigger badass out there.

This is just a stupid reaction to a even dumber thing.

Yes street racing is stupid and it should be delt with harshly, as it normally leds to someone getting seriously injured or killed. But crushing the cars is not helping anything. Its just causing more waste of materials and money. What they should do, is just take away ownership of the car, and sell it or give it to a family that could really use some transportation. I think that would also **** off the racer more. What racer would want to see their awesome car being driven by some old lady or some guy that just uses it to go to work. The racer would always be reminding everytime he saw his car drive by, by someone else, of what he did and that he shouldnt do it again.