[Review] iPhone 8GB

Apple requires the wireless carrier's assistance for features like Visual Voicemail. And since there was no agreement between the two companies (it was rumored that Verizon turned Apple down first), Apple had to look elsewhere.

There is also the thought that Apple went with a GSM carrier due to the ease of getting the iPhone into other countries (Canada, Europe, etc.), while CDMA (which Verizon & Sprint use) is only in a few countries.

Finally, T-Mobile simply does not have the coverage in the USA. I'm sure if they had a larger cell network Apple would have gone to them.

So basically, it was AT&T almost by default. Yes, cell phone carriers in the USA absolutely suck.

Doesn't T-Mobile simply license existing 1900 cell towers from AT&T? That's why they even have coverage in the first place...

Doesn't T-Mobile simply license existing 1900 cell towers from AT&T? That's why they even have coverage in the first place...

Yep. Mostly out west. T-Mobile at one point (so I was told when I working for them) had more licensed towers via other carriers (AT&T, and any other GSM networks in USA) than their own towers. The problem with T-Mobile is they like being a little company. They don't take the risks that Cingular/AT&T have to make themselves big. Sure, AT&T may suck, but people are still switching to them everyday, and though they complain about the service, they aren't leaving.

• 2 weeks later...
I love my iPhone... think of it as an integrating of the iPod + a good looking phone. Plus, the call quality is absolutely amazing - crystal clear.

Yeah, I can agree to this. I just tried out the bundled stereo earbuds today in a loud, crowded mall. I could hear the other caller perfectly, and they could hear me fine, as well. Turns out that microphone is in just the right spot. The earbuds are surprisingly good at isolating sound, too.

• 2 months later...
here are great reviews i found around in the internet.

extremely detailed reviews by a professional

http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2007...-phone-en.shtml iphone as a phone

http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2007...ne-sms-en.shtml iphone sms feature

http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2007...e-name-en.shtml iphone smartphone or not?

Nice reviews, like the point of view.

What can I say; the phone looks like a million bucks. The reactions I get from just taking it out of the pocket without even turning it on are priceless.

I would never buy a phone to win respect from other people, that's so sad.

• 3 months later...

How does the typing go? That's my only issue at the moment. I just bought myself a Samsung G600 and I hate the fact I can't do any proper syncing with my Macbook. However, I'm used to a hardware keyboard and I am not to sure whether I'll feel comfortable changing.

Camera quality looks like crap.

And I will always say it; The price tag is not worth it.

Considering what a NORMAL phone camera looks like, I say there tip of the ice.

• 3 weeks later...
How does the typing go? That's my only issue at the moment. I just bought myself a Samsung G600 and I hate the fact I can't do any proper syncing with my Macbook. However, I'm used to a hardware keyboard and I am not to sure whether I'll feel comfortable changing.

I had a Samsung u740 before my iPhone, and after using my iPhone for only a few days, I could type much faster on it than I did on my u740 after owning it for a few months. The key is to just type and allow the iPhones software to make corrections as you type. Having used "alternative" input methods with various devices in the past, I was very skeptical about how well it worked, but I just wrote this entire post without any problems at all on my iPhone :)

Now that's an answer. Thank you. I finally bit the bullet and made the money ready to get me one. Hopefully my American connection will do everything right.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got mine. I hate the fact that it doesn't work in Belgium without using some "methods" but overall, it's one hell of a phone. The typing is easy indeed, you just need to concentrate. I did find myself not typing messages in the car anymore so this is an improvement.

strangely, it has a very lowe battery life. have to charge it everyday. i probably play too much with it.

You might want to check out Apple's, funny written, battery guide: http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

By the way, I don't mind charging it everyday because of the handy dock. When I am at the office I plug it in the its dock and it charges. I always have enough battery for when I'm on the road or when I'm at home.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm so glad I didn't buy the iphone yet since 3G is due in about 2 weeks

Ah well, people who don't use 3G will love the auctions going on eBay. ;)

You might want to check out Apple's, funny written, battery guide: http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

By the way, I don't mind charging it everyday because of the handy dock. When I am at the office I plug it in the its dock and it charges. I always have enough battery for when I'm on the road or when I'm at home.

Yeah same here when I get home I just shove it in the dock and only take it off there if I need to send an SMS or ring someone so its always charging.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah same here when I get home I just shove it in the dock and only take it off there if I need to send an SMS or ring someone so its always charging.

The new speakerphone is even better, you won't have to remove it anymore to make a call. :cool:

I did wish that when my battery is 80% it wouldn't charge when I placed it in the dock. I use the camera a lot and need to plug it in to download the pictures. When my battery percentage is + 85% is charges again. I don't think that does the battery good so that's a pity.