[Review] iPhone 8GB

Actually, what are the hardware differences between the 1st gen iPhone and the iPhone 3G other than 3G and GPS and that one sensor? Because those are just things I don't really care about, so I could get myself a 1st gen model on ebay as well.

Actually, what are the hardware differences between the 1st gen iPhone and the iPhone 3G other than 3G and GPS and that one sensor? Because those are just things I don't really care about, so I could get myself a 1st gen model on ebay as well.

Nothing really apart from better call quality on the 2-gen iPhone but no doubt that will be due to the 3G network. And the fact the iPhone 3G can use data and voice at the same time, something you can't do on a non-3G phone.

Nothing really apart from better call quality on the 2-gen iPhone but no doubt that will be due to the 3G network. And the fact the iPhone 3G can use data and voice at the same time, something you can't do on a non-3G phone.

Thanks. Anyway, I'm still not paying 400+ euros on a used phone :p I might as well wait for the 3G to be released unlocked in Belgium.

The better battery life is also a noticeable point, especially for people who don't charge it all the time. ;)

I am not liking the plastic back off the iPhone 3G, it looks like a finger/scratch magnet.

Indeed but I'm sure they'll have done something about it. Look how scratch-resistant the screen.

@Smethead: Expect some high prices in Belgium. Belgium is known to have high telecom prices regarding plans and the phone itself won't be cheap either.

It's not an iPhone, but it is if not the closest a very close competitor. I needed a non-business phone and I think this was the best choice available from Rogers.

So far I've found that the touch-screen on the phone is very good, only a handful of times have I pressed the wrong "button". The menu system is not sluggish, but it isn't ultra fast, mp3 player does its job like you would expect, the 2.0MP Camera is good, but not great. I don't have any major gripes with the phone except its a fingerprint magnet, which requires wiping/cleaning daily, oh and the battery life is mediocre.

(Excuse the picture quality, my cameras settings are fishy right now.)

cimg61521ni7.jpg

It's not an iPhone, but it is if not the closest a very close competitor. I needed a non-business phone and I think this was the best choice available from Rogers.

So far I've found that the touch-screen on the phone is very good, only a handful of times have I pressed the wrong "button". The menu system is not sluggish, but it isn't ultra fast, mp3 player does its job like you would expect, the 2.0MP Camera is good, but not great. I don't have any major gripes with the phone except its a fingerprint magnet, which requires wiping/cleaning daily, oh and the battery life is mediocre.

cimg61521ni7.jpg

Go type a review. ;)

• 1 month later...

I wonder if there are some Neowin members who are already working on a review for the iPhone 3G. After all, it would be cool to go over some of the stuff with the new 2.0 software. Maybe I should over the weekend ...

I own the iPhone 3G 8GB and it rocks. The large and high resolution display was already a joy on my iPod Touch, but the phone and SMS functionality is making great use of it. Also, unlike the iPod, it didn't get degraded to base functionality pretty soon (i.e. only music listening on the iPod) since there's ubiquitous fast Internet access on it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

cimg61521ni7.jpg

what phone is that exactly ?

• 1 month later...

just regarding the iphone 3G i have the 16 gig version biggest nag is the battery life i have to have charger at home and at work we have also tested it with our execs and it failed.... high usage the battery lasts just over 3 hours they do really need to sort this bit out

just regarding the iphone 3G i have the 16 gig version biggest nag is the battery life i have to have charger at home and at work we have also tested it with our execs and it failed.... high usage the battery lasts just over 3 hours they do really need to sort this bit out

3 hours :o ?! i thought my touch pro had weak battery, lol.