[REL] Vista Game Explorer Editor

Vista Game Explorer Editor  

274 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate VGEE out of 10?

• Excellent (9-10 out of 10)
    • Very Good (8 out of 10)
    • Good (7 out of 10)
    • Not Good Enough (6 and below)
    • I don't have Vista

Typing this up for the 2nd time (internet probs last time I clicked 'reply')

In order to add/change boxart - games must overwrite another type of game. If you don't - the boxart won't update. I might be able to add a msgbox elsewhere when games need to be fixed asking if this is what you want to do.

What do you mean by Integration? I can't reprogram the VGE. Also, the VGE must be closed when you make changes to it otherwise you'll also run into probs.

Backup and restore - I was working on it previously (see this thread ). No-one was interested in storing exports online. A future version of VGEE will automatically export all boxart and reg entries to the Program Files dir.

Deleting Vista games is doable - but I can show you how to do it manually if you really want to. I personally just hide some of them (ie Purble Place).

Got any links about game Save folders - I haven't read much into it

There are no 'search-strings' in the URL when you search at allgame.com - otherwise i would've added that feature ages ago.

I've previously tried to manually change Version info in the reg on my PC - but nothing updated in VGE, so I didn't add that feature.

An installer will be added to final versions of the app - know of any good free ones?

Adding a film strip will make my app look a lot like those apps of others who are making apps, and I don't want to steal their design. Plus, it helps prevent people losing unsaved changes.

I'd have to make room for the 'options' link somewhere, the idea is that you don't run this wizard all the time.

The main purpose of VGEE was to add/change boxart and other info 90% easier than doing it manually. Judging by the screenie of your VGE it looks like it succeeded. Extra features at this stage are a bonus.

Also, I have no idea on how to make use of compiled GDF binaries - so if anyone else knows feel free to post.

In order to add/change boxart - games must overwrite another type of game. If you don't - the boxart won't update. I might be able to add a msgbox elsewhere when games need to be fixed asking if this is what you want to do.

What do you mean by Integration? I can't reprogram the VGE. Also, the VGE must be closed when you make changes to it otherwise you'll also run into probs.

Backup and restore - I was working on it previously (see this thread ). No-one was interested in storing exports online. A future version of VGEE will automatically export all boxart and reg entries to the Program Files dir.

Overwriting a game with a different game doesn't work for me. For example, I overwrote FIFA 07 with STALKER. Whenever I launched STALKER from the Games Explorer, FIFA 07 would load. I triple checked that I'd set the executable to STALKER's, and then tried overwriting other games such as FlatOut 2, MGS2 and UT2004, but I got the same problem. It doesn't matter if the game was added by VGEE or added by dragging and dropping into the Games Explorer. I always closed the Games Explorer between edits, although I didn't when I first started using VGEE a few days ago. Maybe that messed it up.

Instead of overwriting games, I just drag the executable into the Games Explorer and then add the metadata with VGEE. All of the games I added in this way work fine. I edit existing games if I just want to change their box art and metadata.

I forgot about needing to close the Games Explorer. Would it be possible for VGEE to pop up a warning dialog if it senses the Games Explorer is open, when you click "Update Game Information"? Or maybe it could close the Games Explorer, apply the edit and then reopen the Games Explorer. It'd be helpful for new users.

I meant a toolbar button next to Parental Controls, although I'm guessing that's difficult since I've not seen any apps which can add buttons to that bar or customise it.

As for backup and restore, it's another non-essential feature, but it'd be handy.

Deleting Vista games is doable - but I can show you how to do it manually if you really want to. I personally just hide some of them (ie Purble Place).

Got any links about game Save folders - I haven't read much into it

There are no 'search-strings' in the URL when you search at allgame.com - otherwise i would've added that feature ages ago.

I've previously tried to manually change Version info in the reg on my PC - but nothing updated in VGE, so I didn't add that feature.

Could you show me how to delete Vista's games?

The Saved Games folder is just where you tell the Games Explorer a game stores its save files. It's accessed by right clicking on a game, and so far only Vista's games let you launch the saves folder.

No search strings? Damn. I don't use allgame.com anyway, since their box art and metadata is North American.

Max Payne 2 is the only game I have which has a non-standard Product version. The Games Explorer adds Max Payne 2 automatically, but it isn't getting the product version number from online. I tested this by deleting Max Payne 2, going offline and then running the game. The game is automatically added with the version number 1.0.97.0, but the actual Max Payne 2 executable has a product version of 1.0.0.0 and a file version of 1.1.102.0. Confusing.

An installer will be added to final versions of the app - know of any good free ones?

Adding a film strip will make my app look a lot like those apps of others who are making apps, and I don't want to steal their design. Plus, it helps prevent people losing unsaved changes.

I'd have to make room for the 'options' link somewhere, the idea is that you don't run this wizard all the time.

The main purpose of VGEE was to add/change boxart and other info 90% easier than doing it manually. Judging by the screenie of your VGE it looks like it succeeded. Extra features at this stage are a bonus.

Also, I have no idea on how to make use of compiled GDF binaries - so if anyone else knows feel free to post.

A good free, popular installer is NSIS. http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

Fair enough, you don't want to tread on others' toes.

I agree, so long as it makes it easy to add games, extra features aren't a top priority.

http://ryzza007.googlepages.com/VGEE2.08b.zip

This should fix the 2nd bug (need more info about the 1st one)

* Ability to toggle Vista's game detection on or off. Vista readds a game even if I just change the box art. DONE

* Placing "Change VGEE Options" on the main window instead of within the Select Game dialog. DONE

Thanks, it fixes the second bug. I can't figure out how to toggle the game detection on or off, though. Am I missing something obvious?

The first bug only happens when I'm not connected to the internet. If I then launch a game which isn't already in the Games Explorer, and Vista adds it, the Games Explorer obviously can't get the box art and metadata. If I then launch VGEE and click on "Load Game Information", I get the error in the first screenshot. After the error, the Select Game panel shows up but most of the games will be missing, including the game which is causing the problem. The solution is to connect to the net and let the Games Explorer download the metadata and box art. After that, VGEE works fine.

I just drag the executable into the Games Explorer and then add the metadata with VGEE

Unknow to you - it'll still be overwriting another game if you add or change BoxArt.

Would it be possible for VGEE to pop up a warning dialog if it senses the Games Explorer is open, when you click "Update Game Information"? Or maybe it could close the Games Explorer, apply the edit and then reopen the Games Explorer.

If I knew how to detect it's presence, I would "taskkill" it immediately. Unfortunately as it's just a special folder like the 'My Computer' folder, it only shows up as explorer.exe

If you know how to do please inform us.

Click Start->Run

type %localappdata% and hit enter

goto Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer

Find the folder bearing the GUID of the game you want to remove, and remove that folder

Goto regedt

goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\Games and delete the key of the game you want to remove

I would suggest that you perform backups of this data before doing this, but then again Hiding the games is jst as similar to that.

If you can tell me what the ValueNames are exactly for VersionInfo and SaveGameFolders (I might have guessed correctly already) while you're in regedit that would help (none of my games have it). By value name I mean "Title", "Boxart", "AppExePath", and so on - they are all value names.

Previous to 2.08b, VGEE downloaded the BoxArt for games every time (if the BoxArt field contained a URL link). If it fails to load boxart for one or more of your games, this is likely because it's not a .jpg file.

Am I missing something obvious?

No. The only thing that I changed in this regard was when VGEE encounters a game that needs fixing. Normally - it would fix it without the user really being aware of it, but I added a message box asking if you wanted to fix the game. I honestly think it's better off without giving the user the option, since then they won't accidentally click the wrong answer and complain when adding BoxArt doesn't work.

I wasn't 100% clear on what you meant, nor am I 100% sure if it's possible. Let me know.

I'll look into the other error later on, perhaps you can add me to your hotmail or gmail (ryzza007 at gmail dot com)

If I then launch VGEE and click on "Load Game Information", I get the error in the first screenshot

This was the extra info I needed, in your first post you didn't mention what you did in VGEE that caused the error.

Hi Ryan,

You did a great job on the VGEE. :yes:

But I do have some requests/suggestions for a next version.

1. It would be nice if you have don't have to choose an existing game. Can you make some kind of a "fake-existing game" for that?

2. Can you make a dropdownbox with all the ESRB ratings?

3. Can you make some kind of backup function (with .reg files?). So if you reinstall Vista, you don't have to retype all information again, but you can just load it again by clicking the reg file.

Thanks, keep the good work up!

Hi Ryan,

You did a great job on the VGEE. :yes:

But I do have some requests/suggestions for a next version.

1. It would be nice if you have don't have to choose an existing game. Can you make some kind of a "fake-existing game" for that?

2. Can you make a dropdownbox with all the ESRB ratings?

3. Can you make some kind of backup function (with .reg files?). So if you reinstall Vista, you don't have to retype all information again, but you can just load it again by clicking the reg file.

Thanks, keep the good work up!

#1: No, unfortunately I can't. If you added a game manually (editing registry) - you would have to overwrite a game that Vista added by itself - which is why the Wizard only shows games that have boxart from the http://images.metaservices.microsoft.com site - and not the games that you added.

#2: Again this is not possible - Microsoft will not let users choose their own ESRB ratings - even in the DirectX SDK where you can create your own GDFs, the rating that you pick will be ignored unless it's digitally signed by the organization.

#3: This is a possibilty and will be included in a future version to some extent. The next feature I'm adding is support for adding Command Line Arguments to the game's App Exe Path. Currently, if you edit a game and put an argument on the end, then next time you open up the VGE, it won't find that game and will delete it from the VGE. Apart from that, there are no planned feature additions apart from an installer which I already have in working order.

Thanks for the feedback

Hi Ryan,

Thank you very much for the information.

Do you allready know when you will release your next version?

Thanks!

This weekend I should be able to work on it a bit more. Adding code to export games won't take long. Adding code to import games would take a lot longer - so I might avoid that unless there was a huge demand for it. You could just double-click the .reg file to import the data - open VGEE and load that new game, then add the exported BoxArt file and save it.

Adding code to deal with Command Line Inerfaces might take a little while just to fine-tune it and test it - then I'll complile and upload for you guys to find faults with it.

The next release should either be this weekend or the following one - I'll post here when it's ready.

i am facing sme problems.

when i start VBEE..its '1st time run Config' starts. it cant find games which were automatically detected by vista. i hve also made a new account but same problem there too. i hve also reinstalled the games(no use).

now plz tell me what to do

thnx

Here's what to do - assuming you have created a brand new Windows Account:

* Install some games that you know are able to download boxart from the web

* Open up your VGE (Click Start-->Games)

* Close the VGE and open it again.

* If asked - ensure that Vista is allowed to connect to the net to download info

* Close the VGE and open it again

* At this stage - you should have some games in your VGE that have all the Information and BoxArt downloaded successfully.

Now you can begin using VGEE - you'll need to go through that First-Run Wizard

thnx RYAN , it was successful!!! :D

i more question

is there any way to get ESRB( digitally signed) rating. beacuse all games which were added by this application get the same rating as of the 1 used to config the app(int the 1st run)

Also can we get the game performance ratings recommended . mean all those 'game recommended rating','game required rating', 'your system ratings' for these edited games.

thnx

See Post #33

There's not much I can do about it - if anything.

In my VGE - none of my games even have a rating, other people who have the same game get ratings though???

Put simply - it's hard to program something that I can't test, or figure out how it works.

I might be able to add the ability to change performance ratings - but from memory this can only be done by the game creators in the SDK. If anyone would like to donate their reg entries to me if your games (besides Vista default card games) have performance ratings plese let me know.

I'm planning on working on VGEE tomorrow avo (GMT +10). Be back later

• 2 weeks later...

VGEE Beta 2.09a Released

Added features include:

* A simple installer program to make setting up easier

* Support for adding command line arguments to your games/programs (ie C:\MyGame.exe -command)

Please test out these features and return with your feedback.

Soon to come will be an 'export' feature.

Regards,

Ryan R

Read the guide on how the program works here.

Could you also please give more specific info on the problem. You should only have to run the wizard once if you have a number of games (unless I missed something). I need as much info as possible before I release a final version. :)

ok i run the wizard and it picks the game and then when i go to add a new game, instead of just adding that game to the list, it overwrites the game i chose for the default, making it disappear. it then says whatever game i chose for the default has been removed fom the registry. then i have to start that game and let vista add it again just to do it all over . So basically the game i choose for default that is supposed to be added back never comes back.

Edited by IcedFreon

• 2 weeks later...

no it wasnt fixed and yes its still a problem. ill add a game and the default game that was chosen for VGEE to get its info from never gets put back. i have to run the game that was deleted to bring it back .

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for one or two people to test out the latest version of VGEE (Beta 2.90b) before I release it. Please send me an email to ryzza007 At gmail dot com

Beta 2.90b currently has these features added:

-Checks for updates (won't be any until I release the next version of VGEE though :) )

-Attempting to prevent the error when VGEE can't create the TempExport.reg file in the Program Files directory (by storing the file elsewhere - then deleting it when finished)

Coming up in future versions of VGEE:

-Repair VGE - bascially will remove all of your games from the VGE so you can start afresh

-Edit game icon - have no idea why you would rather have an icon as opposed to BoxArt (even if you made your own icon surely you could make your own boxart) - but nonetheless that's what some of you want :)

- Export games (a bit overdue) - I'll release this one in stages. The first stage will let you only export/import from the same User account on the same PC (so you can't import it on another PC or Windows Account on the same pc). Later stages will fix that though (hopefully).

If I'm missing something please let me know. As you may have already noticed - the design of VGEE is pretty tight at the moment - so I'm finding it a tad hard to squeze new buttons onto the window without having to redesign the whole thing :) (I'm trying to keep the Window smaller than 800x600)

PS - when you reply here - there should be a checkbox on the page somewhere that says "Enable notification of replies?" - could you please tick that so I know when you reply (otherwise I don't get alerted about it and may not know about your post for weeks). Just mentioning this because VGEE is getting a number of people to sign up to NeoWin who might not know about this bit...)

Thanks all (don't forget to send me an email if you want to test out VGEE 2.90b)

VGEE Beta 2.10 available for download here: http://ryzza007.googlepages.com/VGEEBeta2.10.exe

I'll add the 'Icon' support later

Included features:

-Check for updates

-Current version displayed bottom-right of VGEE - click it to check for updates manually

-Limited 'export game info' function (can't import it on different Windows account or different PC yet)

-Repair VGE function. Delete's everything so you can start your VGE afresh <--(needs testing)

-Bug fix when some people can't add new games due to 'TempExport.reg' not being created <--(needs testing)

'Support for changing icons coming soon

Please test the above features and report any bugs or suggestions - thanks :)