Two most important updates for Vista

Can't you disable it at startup using F8?

yes, but you have to do it every single time you start the computer. Its not pernament.

Its not that bad then. Considering many people leave their PC's on 24/7, it won't be much of a hassle until a workaround is found.

Wow i must be lucky :D i just got a P4 2.66ghz installed and now microsoft are about to update vista HARDCORE STYLE :D i love my week :D

Edited by Sniper101

FYI, installing drivers without a digital signature is a pretty bad idea. Signing is enforced on x64 versions for a reason.

FYI, installing drivers without a digital signature is a pretty bad idea. Signing is enforced on x64 versions for a reason.

i trust unwinder (rivatuner developer) and peerguardian crew. Its not like there are any other better alternatives

I still don't feel like MS should force this on the user, should be a way to disable it

signing is "enforced" because of stuff like rootkits i believe.

other than that, having enforced signing is a pain in the ass.

some of the best drivers are unsigned.

hell, i'll never find signed drivers for my STB TV PCI card. the card came out in 1996. STB was purchased and killed by 3dfx, and 3dfx was purchased and killed by NVidia. there will never be new drivers for the card. unsigned/homemade is all that i have.

under x64 Vista, the card worked perfectly.

others will gladly point out other programs that work great with unsigned drivers.

people have been customizing their video drivers for years as well. so much as looking at the INF funny breaks the signing process. when something is KNOWN to be perfectly safe, its silly to have the OS block the drivers because you don't pay Microsoft extra money over and over and over to have them re-sign the drivers for every modification by every person.

people have been customizing their video drivers for years as well. so much as looking at the INF funny breaks the signing process. when something is KNOWN to be perfectly safe, its silly to have the OS block the drivers because you don't pay Microsoft extra money over and over and over to have them re-sign the drivers for every modification by every person.

i agree what you said, but you are confusing digital signatures with WHQL. pretty much everyone can get their own digital signatures, just forgot how much it cost. MS is the one that makes WHQL signatures.

changing INF file will not break digital signature, digital signatures are actually on the exe/dll files them self.

Which is why if you actually bypass the check on signed drivers, you may actually be installing a tampered version of a particular program. For example a site may be distributing a malware-infected Catalyst or Forceware driver version, but you won't have any idea since you're forcing Vista to not even check the signature.

Of course it's rare that downloading Rivatuner from the proper source like Guru3D is going to result in malware infection, but still the check is there for a reason so just turning it off altogether is not a smart move.

Of course it's rare that downloading Rivatuner from the proper source like Guru3D is going to result in malware infection, but still the check is there for a reason so just turning it off altogether is not a smart move.
the problem is that if you don't disable that check, you can't use rivatuner at all on 64bit driver
"What's "Blue-Ray?" never heard of it.
its not MS fault that sony can't spell blue correclty :whistle:

I've just installed this (x86) and there is a very noticeable speed-up in copying/moving files, good stuff! :) Haven't had time to really test anything else, but so far, so good. :)

EDIT: sCrAtCh420th: I didn't have any problems creating/renaming/deleting folders... looks like that may be an isolated issue?

Which is why if you actually bypass the check on signed drivers, you may actually be installing a tampered version of a particular program. For example a site may be distributing a malware-infected Catalyst or Forceware driver version, but you won't have any idea since you're forcing Vista to not even check the signature.

Sure the check is there for a good reason - But I'm not sure a novice user would knowingly disable this, since previously it required a bit of advanced knowledge to permanently disable (well, Googling knowledge but still). So I really don't think the average user would be bothered by having a way to permanently disable driver sign checks.

these work great but i can't run the system rating tool anymore! hmmmm luckily that's the only issue i ran in to and it's minor because my score can't go any higher.

Anyone know when this will go offical?

In the article it says next Tuesday, but you can never trust Microsoft with release dates.

I have noticed a performance gain in my system and moving files has definitely increased in speed, it also fixed a problem I had where certain icons were not showing correctly and the default folder icon was being shown instead, good job!

I've already found some bugs.

1. When i search for something and i rightclick an item that has no icons in the left column of the rightclickmenu, that column stretches to half of the with of the rightclick menu. :no:

2. Unzipping files has become unbearable, i am now unzipping a file at 0~1 bytes per second. :angry:

Other than i can now finally copy between partitions at higher speeds than 900 bytes per second :)