AOL ditches Kaspersky for McAfee

This had to be motivated by money ONLY, because McAfee doesn't come close to the performance or detection rates of Kaspersky.

Oh well, AOL's loss.

Thats weird my dad has AOL and recently got a subscription to McAfee through them...maybe it was just AOL US that used Kaspersky.

Wow, this used to be one of the few things that AOL did right. Too bad. I actually installed their AV on a few computers for family members. I guess I'll have to go around and switch that out for people. I'm not about to have any of them "update" their program and end up with McAfee's crap software.

This is a TERRIBLE move. Kaspersky outperforms McAfee in every way possible.

Looks like I won't be recommending Active Virus Shield anymore...

Did they hire anyone from Sega recently? :p

This just shows that the people who run AOL (and Netscape) don't know scensored.gift about running an ISP / Broswer. They were doing GOOD with Kasperksy, now, they shot themselves in the foot.

Which from a business perspective means more money can be made out of them when they take there computer to a professional because its been infected with a virus

ok but what happne for those who has the kapersky aol? cause mine still says kapersy in the process list

I am guessing they will probably phase it out and make you "upgrade" to their new version.

AOL has always used McAfee has there main Security Suite. AVS was just an alternative for some odd reason. First it was the McAfee 8. Then the SSC (Safety and Security Center). Now this free McAfee provided by AOL. Some may think McAfee sucks, others will sign up for AOL/AIM just to download this. I don't see this as backpage news?

Personally, I wish they would have made Kaspersky provided by AOL for free. But whatever..

McAfee and Kaspersky are the top 2 when it comes to detection rates from what I seen and experienced. People can say what they want but McAfee does no suck when it comes to detecting and cleaning/removing viruses, trojans, worms, etc....

McAfee and Kaspersky are the top 2 when it comes to detection rates from what I seen and experienced. People can say what they want but McAfee does no suck when it comes to detecting and cleaning/removing viruses, trojans, worms, etc....

Or eating system resources.

Guessing the contract with Kaspersky ran out. Kaspersky actually may not have wanted to renew the contract, since one of the reasons they agreed to it was to promote Kaspersky.