Unboxing the new iMac

The only real other repeated thing I've heard for getting a Mac is how it handles multimedia... pfft! :p

There fantastic computers, they'd really do anything you need now with the abillity to run XP/Vista. And one of the best designs too

That's probably the one thing that annoys me most about Apple; at the end of the day, if you want to own a Mac, you need to get the one they say you should - customers get very little say in the final outcome. Would it have killed them to make the glossy (or matte) screen optional, like with the MacBook Pro?

I don't know whether or not you're a designer or photographer, but it's best to design/edit using matte screens because they don't "pop out" the colour. Graphics that look great on glossy displays may look dull and faded on matte/CRT displays. Designing graphics that look good on a matte helps ensure they'll look even better on a glossy.

Eh, that's one thing that we all can't judge since it's common that almost no average joe will or have calibrated their displays.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat...mp;changemode=1

i think it kind of looks like a tv, and the edges of the black seem far too curved, don't know why but it doesn't make it look "flatscreen" for me

and tech spec wise, definitely not worth it in australia at least because pc's with the same are a couple of $100 cheaper. those videocards are a real let down

Except other PCs don't run OS X, for starters.

Am I the only one who thinks it totally sucks because it doesn't use the entire "black area" of the screen and leaves the fugly black border around the display?

I really like the new aluminum enclosure. I've never liked plastic products; they feel cheap.

The new aluminum keyboard is awesome. I'll be getting a couple of wired and a wireless one.

The only thing I'm really not liking so far are the glossy screens on the iMacs. I'll just keep using my matte Cinema Display instead. I will get a revised iMac, but if it wasn't for the glossy screen I'd use it as my primary computer.

Except other PCs don't run OS X, for starters.

Not legally, anyway. But I don't see OS X being appealing to gamers, anyway.

The only time I have ever had an issue with my Macbook's glossy display is being outside with the sun directly aimed on the screen (which I would hope you don't have to worry about with an iMac)

Other then that, I have never had an issue with the glossy display. It isn't like those crappy LCD's you see at BestBuy that gave glossy displays a bad name...these actually work real well.

Am I the only one who thinks it totally sucks because it doesn't use the entire "black area" of the screen and leaves the fugly black border around the display?

My thoughts exactly! The first one I saw was turned off and I got all excited that they had slimmed down the sides that much. :pinch:

They're nice-looking machines, though. Makes me miss my old iMac ;)

(Look how huge the bottom-silver-piece is on that monitor! What a waste of space...).

Some of you people seem to forget the fact that the iMac actually houses an entire computer in there. It's not just a LCD-panel the casing needs to hold...

Kids who b!tch and moan about the glossy screen. Please go look at one before you keep b!tching and moaning (by than I suspect you'd have very little to moan about)

I felt the same way about glossy (the moan part) but got one for my MacBook Pro.

Best. Decision. Ever.

Every other Mac I've owned, iMac G4, ACD, iMac G5, PowerBook G4 have all been matte, I always thought that was the way to go till my glossy MacBook Pro. Yes, color calibration is...a bit hard and you can never get it quite right, but its just SO much more richer and the experience is much more amazing. Its a GREAT choice for general-electronic based consumers.

The new iMacs. Everyone call it the 4th gen. But I rather call it 3.5. Look at G3 to G4, G4 to G5. Each design was radically different, but Apple didn't do too much with this new one apart from the new guts of course. So I don't know, still waiting to see something REALLY cool.

And for those who are looking to pick up the new keyboard, do it online. Apperently the Apple Stores won't be carrying them in store for a few weeks.

Kids who b!tch and moan about the glossy screen. Please go look at one before you keep b!tching and moaning (by than I suspect you'd have very little to moan about)

I felt the same way about glossy (the moan part) but got one for my MacBook Pro.

Best. Decision. Ever.

Every other Mac I've owned, iMac G4, ACD, iMac G5, PowerBook G4 have all been matte, I always thought that was the way to go till my glossy MacBook Pro. Yes, color calibration is...a bit hard and you can never get it quite right, but its just SO much more richer and the experience is much more amazing. Its a GREAT choice for general-electronic based consumers.

The new iMacs. Everyone call it the 4th gen. But I rather call it 3.5. Look at G3 to G4, G4 to G5. Each design was radically different, but Apple didn't do too much with this new one apart from the new guts of course. So I don't know, still waiting to see something REALLY cool.

And for those who are looking to pick up the new keyboard, do it online. Apperently the Apple Stores won't be carrying them in store for a few weeks.

Even through the online Apple Store, the new wireless keyboards aren't shipping for another 3-5 weeks. They announced it yesterday, but cleverly forgot to mention when exactly they were available. Now we know.

Wow the 2.4GHz iMac gives the standard Mac Pro (2x Dual Xeon 2.66GHz) a run for it's money. Most of the tests were single or dual core apps but it was still very close. My 2.8GHz iMac will be at my house between the 15th and 22nd, I can't wait to do some benchmarks.

oohh man the new iMac look really good.

I would love to get a new iMac and a Cinema Display and get rid of my PC but I need XP and Vista too.

I can run all three, Mac OSX, Vista and XP with Boot Camp right???

Sure, or just use Parallels/VMWare Fusion, and you can use all 3 OS _at the same time_ ;)

anyone see a mention of the speaker sound all i heard was that it was 'loud'

Well there on the bottom where the ram slot is. They are facing down and apparently the sound bounces off what ever desk its on very nicely.

anyone see a mention of the speaker sound all i heard was that it was 'loud'

It's ridiculously loud. I don't know where it was located before on the previous iMac but being at the bottom, the sound bounce off perfectly. With it on full blast, it's almost deafening (especially in my small room).

How's the bass? Does it sound like laptop speakers or is it actually usable speakers?