[Official] Doctor Who Thread

• 1 month later...

So who watched the Power of the Daleks recreation on BBC America on Saturday? I loved it - so awesome to see a "new" Troughton adventure. And the first regeneration story, to boot!

1 hour ago, margrave said:

How did I miss that! Dang!

I saw complaints about the animation on Facebook. The irony is, the modern animation was probably still better visually than the original footage! A lot of newWho fans thought it was slow paced and lacking visually, but that's just the difference in style. IMO the new series too often needs to slow down - could benefit from the serial format of the classic.

• 2 weeks later...

Something I was thinking about earlier ... maybe this belongs in the realm of "Fan Fiction", I dunno. Bear with me on this.

Moffat will want to go out with a bang. Something that will make people say "damn, we're gonna miss him". He's already dropped some hints about what I'm going to say, probably (?) without even realizing he's done it in the 11th and 12th Doctors' storylines concerning Clara.

The whole "Impossible Girl" thing, and how she's, well, "Impossible"; on through to that last Series when she became more and more like the Doctor in taking risks, the almost inhuman displays of brilliance, and eventually becoming more than what could be expected from a Human ... even Missy, almost "training her" ... and eventually ending up with her own TARDIS and the Doctor "forgetting her".

I've got a theory about that.

What if, what if, Clara is actually The Master -- at the beginning of whatever "The Master"'s timeline is supposed to be?

We know from the whole River Song/Melody Pond thing that "how you build a Time Lord" is prolonged exposure to the Time Vortex. Theoretically, any Companion could become a Time Lord if they hang around the Doctor long enough .. aside from Sarah Jane, Clara's certainly got tenure but probably not enough exposure. It's exposure to the Time Vortex that'll do it, according to canon.

The only other Character we've seen in the whole of the series that had a TARDIS was The Master, but it was never explained how The Master got it. And each TARDIS is slightly different, since they're unique they each have characteristics unto themselves. We've seen The Master's TARDIS dematerialize before, and it was fast (and quiet) relative to the Doctor's.

Guess where else we've seen a TARDIS with a quiet, rapid dematerialization cycle? Hell Bent. The "new one" that the Doctor and Clara stole, together.

Oh, and Ashildir not being able to get the Chameleon circuit working (for the moment) isn't a big deal. It's immaterial.

What I'm suggesting is that Clara, upon her eventual return to Gallifrey, gets regenerated as The Master because she's (now) a Time Lord. Being in the "Limbo" state possibly could drive someone insane, and the Time Lords aren't exactly known for compassion so they regenerate her as punishment or something. It could explain why Missy was so keen to keep her and the Doctor together. It was necessary for her own timeline! 

It also explains why The Master is always able to recognize the Doctor no matter what regeneration the Doctor is on (before #12) -- because Clara has seen them all.

We also know, from canon, that the Doctor and The Master were best friends. Well, that's Clara and the Doctor to a T, even if the Doctor can't remember most of it now.

Wouldn't it be cool if I'm right? :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Something I was thinking about earlier ... maybe this belongs in the realm of "Fan Fiction", I dunno. Bear with me on this.

Moffat will want to go out with a bang. Something that will make people say "damn, we're gonna miss him". He's already dropped some hints about what I'm going to say, probably (?) without even realizing he's done it in the 11th and 12th Doctors' storylines concerning Clara.

The whole "Impossible Girl" thing, and how she's, well, "Impossible"; on through to that last Series when she became more and more like the Doctor in taking risks, the almost inhuman displays of brilliance, and eventually becoming more than what could be expected from a Human ... even Missy, almost "training her" ... and eventually ending up with her own TARDIS and the Doctor "forgetting her".

I've got a theory about that.

What if, what if, Clara is actually The Master -- at the beginning of whatever "The Master"'s timeline is supposed to be?

We know from the whole River Song/Melody Pond thing that "how you build a Time Lord" is prolonged exposure to the Time Vortex. Theoretically, any Companion could become a Time Lord if they hang around the Doctor long enough .. aside from Sarah Jane, Clara's certainly got tenure but probably not enough exposure. It's exposure to the Time Vortex that'll do it, according to canon.

The only other Character we've seen in the whole of the series that had a TARDIS was The Master, but it was never explained how The Master got it. And each TARDIS is slightly different, since they're unique they each have characteristics unto themselves. We've seen The Master's TARDIS dematerialize before, and it was fast (and quiet) relative to the Doctor's.

Guess where else we've seen a TARDIS with a quiet, rapid dematerialization cycle? Hell Bent. The "new one" that the Doctor and Clara stole, together.

Oh, and Ashildir not being able to get the Chameleon circuit working (for the moment) isn't a big deal. It's immaterial.

What I'm suggesting is that Clara, upon her eventual return to Gallifrey, gets regenerated as The Master because she's (now) a Time Lord. Being in the "Limbo" state possibly could drive someone insane, and the Time Lords aren't exactly known for compassion so they regenerate her as punishment or something. It could explain why Missy was so keen to keep her and the Doctor together. It was necessary for her own timeline! 

It also explains why The Master is always able to recognize the Doctor no matter what regeneration the Doctor is on (before #12) -- because Clara has seen them all.

We also know, from canon, that the Doctor and The Master were best friends. Well, that's Clara and the Doctor to a T, even if the Doctor can't remember most of it now.

Wouldn't it be cool if I'm right? :D 

Except that we've seen the Master as a child, being exposed to the Untempered Schism, and he didn't look a thing like Clara.

And since Clara can't die, since she's between life and death, that kind of makes a mess of the whole "Master doing anything to survive" idea from the 4th - 8th eras. If he can't die, then why nearly destroy Gallifrey for a new life cycle? Why jump at the offer of a new regeneration cycle in "The Five Doctors"? Why possess Tremas and later Bruce? Clara's "suspended" state at the end of Hell Bent pretty much makes all of that nonsensical if she became the Master. There was little indication that Clara's state could be removed, apart from her proceeding on to her death.

Now Clara as the Rani might work, if attempted by someone other than Moffat. But honestly, I'd rather just keep Clara as another traveler that might pop up, if only in comics, audios and fanfic. Like Romana, Drax or Iris Wildthyme.

Frankly, if Moffat pulled a stunt like this, it would just reinforce my opinion that he's long overstayed his welcome. Far from cool, it would probably be a stake to heart for my interest in Doctor Who, the Moffat era anyway.

• Like 2

I agree with you ... the loose ends would be for the Writers to sort out, and that's above my pay grade. :rofl: Just throwing it out there. Random thoughts and such.

It would be a cluster[bleep] though. Too convoluted to work, really. Heh.

4 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

I agree with you ... the loose ends would be for the Writers to sort out, and that's above my pay grade. :rofl: Just throwing it out there. Random thoughts and such.

It would be a cluster[bleep] though. Too convoluted to work, really. Heh.

In other words your typical Moffat piece of "brilliance".

1 minute ago, John. said:

With Moffat's history I wouldn't be surprised if he kills off Doctor Who as a final mic-drop before leaving.

That's entirely possible - there are rumors that the higher-ups want a complete fresh start, including replacing Capaldi. Me, I'd want Peter to stick around for a year or two more. I want to see what he can do without the albatross of Stephen Moffat's writing around his neck.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LOC said:

So yeah, they wanna reboot the reboot is that it? Oy vey.

Not necessarily a full reboot, but killing off Doctor Who just triggers regeneration.

12 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

I don't believe that's a characteristic of a particular TARDIS. There was an episode where River Song explained the TARDIS is NOT supposed to make that noise and I believe she has used the TARDIS and it hasn't made that sound. We all know that the Doctor can't properly operate the TARDIS. :D

• Like 1

Right, they're meant to be operated by a Crew. I remember that. And furthermore, they can appear in almost any size and configuration up to and including classical Starships -- we saw those in the TARDIS Graveyard when the Doctor was stranded on House and had to rebuild one with the TARDIS Matrix stuck in a Humanoid form -- but that could just as easily be something that the Chameleon Circuit for each TARDIS had done.

And yeah, without the TARDIS Matrix helping the Doctor drive it, he'd be completely hopeless trying to get around. That could also explain why the TARDIS Control Room gets so .. customized. It's almost an extension of the Doctor's mind now. You know, that connection that he and the TARDIS Matrix have.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:58 PM, DConnell said:

That's entirely possible - there are rumors that the higher-ups want a complete fresh start, including replacing Capaldi. Me, I'd want Peter to stick around for a year or two more. I want to see what he can do without the albatross of Stephen Moffat's writing around his neck.

I'd want to see Capaldi stay around but everything else I'm open to, rebooting the writing team is needed, stop making companions "special", for gods sake make the cybermen 'CYBER-MEN'

Yeah, me too. Still quite a lot for Capaldi's take on the Doctor to do and explore, character-wise. Without Clara, without the whole River Song arc either. Fresh start, this next Series. I wanna see how Capaldi's Doctor does when he doesn't have the boat anchors tied to his rear end, figuratively.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Those will end with moffat! He had a thing for Daleks and cyberman IIRC

Probably not, though we may get fewer appearances of the Daleks. They're pretty much Doctor Who's most iconic enemy, so they're never going to go away completely.

Personally, I'd love to see Iris Wildthyme show up on the show, preferably played by Katy Manning. Probably won't happen, since River is kind of a cheap knock-off of Iris.

bbcdoctorwhoThis year marks the tenth anniversary of The Runaway Bride! 
So, to celebrate, we've dug out 10 never-before-seen pics from the making of the 2006 Christmas Special! 
Head over to the official #DoctorWhowebsite (link in bio) and follow the links to the Adventure Calendar. 
#whovian #behindthescenes#DavidTennant

• Like 4

OMG Capaldi's Doctor and Donna ... let the snark begin! :rofl::woot:

"Oy!"

"OY!"

"Watch it, Eyebrows!"

"Speak for yourself, Forehead!!"

"You know we're just gonna keep doing that?"

"Och, who cares. You like me better this way. We can argue on the same level."

:D Just once. Once. I wanna see them have a reunion episode where they properly argue.

• Like 2