[Official] Doctor Who Thread

On 15/12/2023 at 04:25, mram said:

After pondering this a bit I believe it was all completely intentional, even down to the oddly single-buttoned "barely hanging on" vest, to demonstrate this is a Doctor who has been strung out.

Further driving home the point of the end of the Giggle, and the pit stop at the Noble clan.

I think this might be how we get the Valeyard.

The Master once called it an "amalgamation" somewhere beteeen The Doctor's "twelfth and final incarnation". The 14th Doctor is definitely an amalgamation created at a point later than the 12th regeneration and before his final incarnation.

We also know that the Valeyard said that they "could not be averted, only postponed."

Imagine the 14th Doctor with how worn thin he already was having his Tardis but no regenerations starting to lose all the people he cares about on Earth over time so he starts to chase his past self across time and space to steal his regeneration cycles...

"I don't want to go..."

I don't think (and hope) we'll ever see a return of the Valyard.... That wasn't a particularly good idea in the first place and was written back when 12 regenerations were the limit.  Plus, with the Dr how he's portrayed now, there's really no way they could make him turning bad even a tiny bit believable...  Plus, as there's no sign of then retconning the Timeless Child nonsense away, there are no limits to his regeneration cycles any more...

I could believe the Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy versions going bad... Both of them were complete jerks to everyone, especially their companions (What the Dr did to Ace was pretty much child abuse), but 10/14?  Nope... Can't see it at all.

On 16/12/2023 at 11:54, FloatingFatMan said:

I don't think (and hope) we'll ever see a return of the Valyard.... That wasn't a particularly good idea in the first place and was written back when 12 regenerations were the limit.  Plus, with the Dr how he's portrayed now, there's really no way they could make him turning bad even a tiny bit believable...  Plus, as there's no sign of then retconning the Timeless Child nonsense away, there are no limits to his regeneration cycles any more...

I could believe the Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy versions going bad... Both of them were complete jerks to everyone, especially their companions (What the Dr did to Ace was pretty much child abuse), but 10/14?  Nope... Can't see it at all.

10 got pretty up his own ass at points. The whole Time Lord Victorious bit...

So gonna just say… I couldn’t give a rats ass about getting hung up on “omg that’s not cannon” or “Who shouldn’t be this way”. I’ve really enjoyed the last 3 episodes and already REALLY like the new doctor.

As for Isaac Newton: they cast an ACTOR to convey a role. Big whoop. I couldn’t give a shiny ###### - they were not suggesting the real historical person wasn’t white, and if you can’t see beyond that, that’s yours to own.

On 17/12/2023 at 01:37, Dick Montage said:

So gonna just say… I couldn’t give a rats ass about getting hung up on “omg that’s not cannon” or “Who shouldn’t be this way”. I’ve really enjoyed the last 3 episodes and already REALLY like the new doctor.

As for Isaac Newton: they cast an ACTOR to convey a role. Big whoop. I couldn’t give a shiny ###### - they were not suggesting the real historical person wasn’t white, and if you can’t see beyond that, that’s yours to own.

Good for you! Enjoy your opinion, and let others too.

• Thanks 2

On 16/12/2023 at 12:17, FloatingFatMan said:

A fair point, but I just don't see a post-time war Dr going bad...

It might not be going bad from their perspective.  The best villains are the ones that might be right, from a certain point of view...

...and 10 was infamous for embracing technicalities that allowed him to be justified.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cute little Christmas special to introduce Ruby.

Spoiler

Who do you think that old lady is? She knows too much.

Probably teasing the Master's return or something lol

man, just wish we didn't have to wait another 5 months for the season proper to start. though I guess it's better than waiting an entire year like we did for these specials.

• 2 months later...

I really hope they up the scripts. They have been pretty bad the last couple of seasons. And....

This is a real big spoiler so click carefully. 

Spoiler

The companion Ruby (Millie Gibson) is only going to be with the doctor for 1 season. A replacement has already been cast.  Varada Sethu who was in Andor will be the new companion. 

On 26/12/2023 at 09:47, Steven P. said:

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it mostly, apart from a few REALLY irritating things (the completely unnecessary misandric comments), but the "bi-generation" nonsense just pi**ed me off...  Clearly they're keeping Tennant around as a backup in case Gatwa bombs, but IMO that's just shows us they have zero confidence in him.  It doesn't instil any confidence in me at all...

Tennant was the best of the modern Who actors, but his time is done.  Leave him just for occasional specials now, please.

• Like 3

On 23/03/2024 at 13:33, FloatingFatMan said:

but the "bi-generation" nonsense just pi**ed me off... 

When I saw the episode and they did that, I laughed and thought exactly what you did. It was stupid.