iPhone apps in your Start menu

Looks like an interesting program. How does it work? Does it just patch the files that make up the Start menu, or does this require some additional services to run on startup?

It doesn't do any patching of files. It's a very small .NET 2.0 app that runs in the system tray. It injects a very very small (and dead simple) native code hook into Explorer.exe's process space to track the state of the start menu, but that's it. No risk of destabilizing Explorer or anything like that.

Nice, very nice. I can see this being one of those things where I keep putting stuff in just to see what happens. Perhaps you should put in some kind of easter egg, say like when you enter in "PureLegend rocks" :laugh:

Seriously, I can see this being a much better way of implementing gadgets. What I prefer about this system is that it's only there when you want it, and it looks like it can do more than the sidebar :)

FYI, there'll be an updated version tonight sometime... the current one doesn't work if you don't have the right version of MSVCR80.dll installed. In the meantime, it can be fixed by installing the VS 2005 C++ redist package as discussed here:

http://brandontools.com/forums/permalink/2...Thread.aspx#282

Edited by Brandon Live

After using it for a while, there is only one suggestion/request I can make, is there any way of dropping the systray icon? I try and have it as uncluttered as possible whre I can. You can always have it bring up the con fig by typing start++ in the startmenu again maybe? Or make it toggle-able so that you can make the choice thus pleasing everyone :) (Damn were a picky bunch, or is it just me :p)

Just an idea?

[edit]

Ignore me, im an idiot, option is already there. I need some sleep :)

[/edit]

Edited by BeLGaRaTh

Ooh. Speaking of dropping the NotifyIcon...

Can you integrate it into Vista's Control Panel? Obviously you can't use a Shell Folder, since the app is c#, but some Command Objects would be nice.