$400 40GB PS3 with Spidey 3 Blu-ray pack-in? Our mole tells all

Audioboxer,

again you are coming out with numbers where I soundly listed real numbers.

Software emulation is not not 80-90%.. it's 70% (that leaves 30% of titles not working), on the other hand hardware Emotion cheap guaranteed 100%. Sony has stated that their stance on this will be that they will concentrate on future titles, meaning , that's it. What you get it what you get.

You are coming out with wishful numbers. But I'm not going to argue this anymore because you are obviously completely neglecting the facts I'm giving you. I'm not saying this is a deal breaker for everyone, I'm not, but is it hindering the console's capability? YES! Microsoft has never done such a thing.

Will it be a huge deal for a large number of user's? Certainly not, but there's a lot of people out there with huge PS2 game libraries that will be very dissapointed when they find out that the new console they picked up won't play their games, when they saw their friend with 60gb hardware chip one play the same game.

Is it important for me?. Nope! but again, you have to learn that in life, you can't just look at things by your own standards. You are not alone and we are all consumers, so if you are fine with something, doesn't mean that a large number of people will be. Catch my point?

Second, I have never said that 40gb PS3 at $399 wouldn't be a good deal if it included wi-fi, Blu-Ray and 40gb hdd. It sure will be, but I was critisizing other aspects of that price and basically the fact that I find it hard to believe that it might happen due to CE companies having really hard time with that.

Bottom line, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this new PS3 to new users, just as long as they aware of hardware differences between that one and the 60gb version with hardware Emotion chip.

Something tells me though, that this 40gb version might not have wi-fi and possibly someinternal features to cut the costs. It will most definitely need to have Blu-Ray, but they might cut some other features. We'll see, if this is actually true.

Easiest way to settle this is : http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Search for whatever titles you want before buying your PS3. Ultimately it has been said quite a few times they will run on software emulation with the ability to receive updates to improve compatibility. Even existing 20/60GB models.

Bottom line, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this new PS3 to new users, just as long as they aware of hardware differences between that one and the 60gb version with hardware Emotion chip.

Complete BS if you ask me, to actually tell someone this is a reason not to buy a PS3 if they are interested in one. If someone is interested in a PS3 they CLEARLY have more reasons than just BC. If someone only wanted to play PS2 games why on earth would they be buying a PS3 to start with. Just play your PS2 :/

BC is a feature we should be thankful for, not rely on.

Who need a Sony vs Microsoft war when we have an Audioboxer vs Boz War right here?

It's only a war when things break rules/get personal.

This is just a discussion of conflicting views... pretty normal in everyday life if you ask me :p

Emulation is going pure software anyways. The difference between EE and non-EE models means squat now.

I for one would almost expect (if this article is true :shiftyninja: ) that Sony keep HDMI and the integrated wi-fi. Then again, there is quite a large crowd on this forum that think those features are useless. :laugh:

Complete BS if you ask me, to actually tell someone this is a reason not to buy a PS3 if they are interested in one. If someone is interested in a PS3 they CLEARLY have more reasons than just BC. If someone only wanted to play PS2 games why on earth would they be buying a PS3 to start with. Just play your PS2 :/

BC is a feature we should be thankful for, not rely on.

I never said I would tell someone NOT to buy PS3 based on these facts. Ha ha, it seems that you have trouble following my points. :)

I said that I would point out that there's a chance that if they have a disadvantage with new PS3s because the compatibility percentage with older games is lower.

If a consumer has a large libarary of PS2 games, OF COURSE they want compatibility.. The PS3 not having emotion chip is a non problem if you had 5 PS2 titles.

But if you are a gamer and have 100 or 200 games like some people I know do, then the 30% of games not being able to play on the new PS3 will be a problem. Sure, they will buy new PS3 games, but this doesn't mean that we need to discard all of our previous games we bought. Right? Again, you are viewing this problem from your personal perspective.

I don't want to keep going on, on this pretty off-topic thing, I just addressed your false notion that Xbox 360 somehow made changes to Xbox 360 that crippled the console for it's users, yet PS3 did nothing more but change hard drive sizes, which is completely false.

Do you agree that PS3 made hardware changes in addition to hard drive sizes, that basically lowered the console's capabilities, no matter how small or irrelevant to you personally? Just be honest. I've given you plenty of proof. I am not saying ANYTHING else really.

I never said I would tell someone NOT to buy PS3 based on these facts. Ha ha, it seems that you have trouble following my points. :)

I said that I would point out that there's a chance that if they have a disadvantage with new PS3s because the compatibility percentage with older games is lower.

If a consumer has a large libarary of PS2 games, OF COURSE they want compatibility.. The PS3 not having emotion chip is a non problem if you had 5 PS2 titles.

But if you are a gamer and have 100 or 200 games like some people I know do, then the 30% of games not being able to play on the new PS3 will be a problem. Sure, they will buy new PS3 games, but this doesn't mean that we need to discard all of our previous games we bought. Right? Again, you are viewing this problem from your personal perspective.

I don't want to keep going on, on this pretty off-topic thing, I just addressed your false notion that Xbox 360 somehow made changes to Xbox 360 that crippled the console for it's users, yet PS3 did nothing more but change hard drive sizes, which is completely false.

Do you agree that PS3 made hardware changes in addition to hard drive sizes, that basically lowered the console's capabilities, no matter how small or irrelevant to you personally? Just be honest. I've given you plenty of proof. I am not saying ANYTHING else really.

Out of 200 games all may work. There is no fact that 30% won't work. It's just down to what titles you own. Hence checking with the link I put above is a good idea :yes:

Secondly I never said changes crippled the 360. Never ever did.

I've never said adding stuff to the 360 hinders anything.

Please read over my initial point. It was that 360 revisions are more unfriendly on the consumers wallet than the PS3 revisions so far. That was and is my only point I want to get across.

But yes lets put this to sleep and see if anyone else adds to it ;)

Then again, there is quite a large crowd on this forum that think those features are useless. :laugh:

No no son, that's where you are wrong. Nobody says it's "useless", we say it's not necessary, compulsory, crucial, fundamental and so on ;) :laugh: :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why you are sayign it's unfair..

Okay, let's put it this way. Microsoft has upgraded Xbox 360 consoles but have not done a single thing to actually HINDER the capabilities of the console. Actually, they improved it. The previous owners really didn't lose anything and new owners gained more flexibility.

HDMI adding was nothing more but minimal change as it really doesn't do much for the functionality of the console except smaller cable. HDMI added is still not 1.3 so not a huge addition there. It's not like anyone without HDMI cannot game in 1080p right? So it's more convenience then anything else.

What else did they change? Again, all changes did not change the way you experience games.

ON THE OTHER HAND, Sony has taken out the emotion chip to cut the financial loss on the consoles. This is downright unfair to new customers as the ones who have the first revision of 60gb version have better compability with previous games from PS2.

Now you can say, oh it's not really that much big of a deal, but in fact the compatibility went down from 90% to 60-70% due to it's software emulation. Now I call this unfair "upgrade" how about you?

RROD are indeed a huge issue for Microsoft, but again, as a consumer I don't have a problem with it. Why? Because they've managed to stabilize the problem and they treat customers as any company with this type of problem does. They ate billions and billions of dollars and they are fixing everything. So except for the possible wait, I don't see a huge problem with trusting them. They do deliver.

For example, my X360 is one of hte first. I bought it off the eBay for $600 back then. It's fine even today. Granted I don't play it every single day, but I do play often and I didn't get the RROD. Even if I'm understandbly concerned it might happen, I'm not worried..why? Because it's free repair, it's 2-3 week wait and I can go pick up another console from a retailer, send mine off, when I get my original console back, I return the one I purchased. Simple.

Now you can say, of that's lame to do for retailers, but I don't really care. You see all these expenses are transfered to Microsoft and that's fine with me.

Does it affect my view of Xbox 360? No, not at all. Just a minor inconvenience. Does PS3 cutting down on hardware features in the console make me change my view of PS3. It sure does and I'm happy to have the old 60gb version that is the real deal so to speak.

Lets look at the differences in changes made by Sony and Microsoft for the PS3 and Xbox 360 from the perspective of an individual that doesn't own either console. As a matter of fact, I don't own any PSXs or xboxs, so this will be completely un-biased.

Xbox 360

------------

RRODs or hardware failure is simply unacceptable - and that goes for any console. I believe anyone will agree on this, even if someone is willing to go to the store and spend more money on the same console just so they can continue gaming while their Xbox is being serviced. Due to its direct negative impact on the ability to game and inconvenience, scale of importance: 10

If you consider how fast HDMI is becoming the standard for AV delivery, compare that to a console labeled as being "Next Gen" and promoted as a cost effective answer to push an HD format onto the public, it becomes a semi big deal to the consumer when extra HDMI capability is added. A future proof addition that could have been avoided, scale of importance: 4

The entire focus on breaking a product into sub-packages with specific features is to strictly target select audiences of the market. Adding extra features to other sub-packages after the product has gone live shows lack of attention to the market in the first place. Wireless controller capability is definitely subjective, but I don't know anyone that would pass it up except if it were a money issue. Having a direct impact on gaming, scale of importance: 6

PS3

-----

Sony has always marketed their PSXs as being BC, and I would say this is definitely a major selling point. The fact that hardware BC support was removed is a poor decision; however, the fact that the PS3 still supports BC via software emulation is a life-saver. Yes, I'm sure the BC ratio faltered due to this decision, but over-time the ratio should climb to the point where it's negligible. Either way, BC support has always been a marketing pro for PSXs and because of that as well as the direct negative impact on the BC ratio (however small) and gaming, scale of importance: 8

Like the Xbox 360, the PS3 was broken into sub-packages to target strict market audiences. Other than the removal of the EE chip, there hasn't been any crucial changes to the consoles per sub-package. Instead, Sony has / will continue to introduce new sub-packages with variances in HDD size and price. scale of importance: 3

Although both sides have made changes and continue to undergo changes, it's pretty apparent to me that Sony has had a more stable market assessment. Of course, PS3 hasn't been out as long and took advantage of the extra time to make it so, but only time will tell. Either way, both companies have made choices that have negatively impacted their consumer base... but I would agree that the Xbox 360 has had more disruptions to their consumer base than PS3.

Had Sony removed BC completely, I would say the outcome would have been different...

Hopefully this is true, it will help boost sales as the $100 price drop on the 60GB model did, I really don't get why Sony brought the 80GB price back up they should of left it at the 60GB price point.

In no way is Sony getting stomped on, they have 4.5million systems sold, yes Wii and Xbox360 are more then both doubling it in sales but PS3 still has a long time to live, there are good games to play on PS3 right now and yes I'll admit it there is more good games on Xbox360 right now, but for me Final Fantasy XIII and VS XIII are reason alone to buy a PS3, there are a lot of games that will make people want PS3s, I'd even bet money (like $5 just a fun bet :p) that PS3 will outsell Wii and Xbox360 the month of FFXIII and FF VS XIII are released.

I really couldn't be bothered to read Audioboxer vs. Boz so my bad if they have already mentioned this (but the direction they were going, I doubt it).

What, if anything, is happening for Europe?

NOT Good news IMO. With this 40GB developers have even less space to play around with using caching. Plus, 40GB is useless for a media powerhouse like the PS3.

I appreciate that the PS3 needs a price drop but not this way, nuh-uh.

The original core model was 20gb. This is twice that. So what are you talking about? :huh:

Hopefully this is true, it will help boost sales as the $100 price drop on the 60GB model did, I really don't get why Sony brought the 80GB price back up they should of left it at the 60GB price point.

In no way is Sony getting stomped on, they have 4.5million systems sold, yes Wii and Xbox360 are more then both doubling it in sales but PS3 still has a long time to live, there are good games to play on PS3 right now and yes I'll admit it there is more good games on Xbox360 right now, but for me Final Fantasy XIII and VS XIII are reason alone to buy a PS3, there are a lot of games that will make people want PS3s, I'd even bet money (like $5 just a fun bet :p) that PS3 will outsell Wii and Xbox360 the month of FFXIII and FF VS XIII are released.

The only reason I'm getting a PS3 instead of an xbox 360 are RPGS! Or Final Fantasy specifically. Can't wait :D

The only reason I'm getting a PS3 instead of an xbox 360 are RPGS! Or Final Fantasy specifically. Can't wait :D

amen to that! It looks like Square Enix has some pretty good RPGs planned for PS3 not just Final Fantasy's.

Actually the people who bought the 20GB PS3s got screwed.

How is no Wifi and no memory card reader screwed? I admit they are nice features to have but screwed without them? I think not.

reading the discussioin between audioboxer and boz, i dont think boz understood how BC compatibility works.

quite clearly, all ps3's have the same BC capability as of NOW. Through updates, all ps3's have the same BC. In a sense the EE in the 60gb is rendered useless now that its all running off software. Right? or someone correct me if i'm wrong, It really becomes a pointless argument with regards to BC. the 60 gb, physically has an extra little chip inside, but it will not matter to absolutely anyone since all ps3's will handle BC the exact same way, through software.

reading the discussioin between audioboxer and boz, i dont think boz understood how BC compatibility works.

quite clearly, all ps3's have the same BC capability as of NOW. Through updates, all ps3's have the same BC. In a sense the EE in the 60gb is rendered useless now that its all running off software. Right? or someone correct me if i'm wrong, It really becomes a pointless argument with regards to BC. the 60 gb, physically has an extra little chip inside, but it will not matter to absolutely anyone since all ps3's will handle BC the exact same way, through software.

Wrong. The PS3s with the EE in it already will continue to run PS1/2 games with hardware emulation. Everything produced forward will be software. A 60Gb PS3 with the EE in it has upwards of 90% BC while those without will keep getting updates to increase the percentage.