$400 40GB PS3 with Spidey 3 Blu-ray pack-in? Our mole tells all

So what if Sony is getting rid of the emotion chip and will allow BC through updates? It isn't like they're admitting to all of their units being faulty and vastly extending the warranty or anything. They're saving money on something that shouldn't cost that much. Until games don't work, don't gripe!

$400 BR player on the market will be interesting. It will surely drive prices down even further. Also, let it be known (for those that don't know) that the PS3 is not fully HDMI 1.3. It only allows for 'deep color,' a function of 1.3 capability. No clue why they would only go so far, but meh.

judas! :p

In the end he committed suicide :p

$400 BR player on the market will be interesting. It will surely drive prices down even further. Also, let it be known (for those that don't know) that the PS3 is not fully HDMI 1.3. It only allows for 'deep color,' a function of 1.3 capability. No clue why they would only go so far, but meh.

ATM, 1.3 and deep color mean nothing in the grand scheme for consumers, just marketing. 1.3 in the long run adds some functionality for installers, but nothing that consumers should technically notice.

Addendum:

I'd consider the PS3 as a decent BR/SACD player. If it did DVDA I'd be all over it, but it doesn't. Shame.

Edited by GOJI_GKing2000

DVDA?

DVD-Audio. The audio format that at one time competed with SACD (Super Audio CD) to replace the regular CD. It ended up that the masses didn't care about them and they are both just niche formats (what could very well happen with HD DVD and Blu-ray imho, but that's for another thread and another time).

Anyways, does Sony offer DVD-Audio support on any of their products at all? I wouldn't think so seeing as how SACD was their format (am I wrong about that). Also, I don't think any audiophile would consider the PS3 as a valid player for either format seeing as how the PS3 is supposed to be an ok but not great SACD player (and besides an audiophile how many people would care about a gaming system supporting either?).

More Evidence: Sony to launch $399 40GB Playstation 3

It seems I've come across more evidence to support a recent rumor that details Sony's plan to launch a "low price" Playstation 3.

EMS Now, a site dedicated to monitoring the global electronic manufacturing industry, posted a piece regarding the news that Hon Hai will begin to manufacture PS3s. The site, admittedly, is boring to read much of the time, but, if you pay close attention to the facts mentioned in their stories, occasionally you'll find little nuggets of information such as the one below:

Insiders in the sector said that Sony has cut the selling price of PS3 consoles, and, at the mean time, planned to launch low-price models, with ASUSTeK Computer Inc. and Hon Hai Precision to supply the models.

The rumor originated when a "reliable source" mentioned Sony's changing up their Playstation offerings for the Holiday Season like so:

* $499.99 for the 80GB Playstation 3, currently $599.99

* $399.99 for the 40GB Playstation 3, currently nonexistent

* Spider-Man 3 on Blu-ray included with at least one of the PS3 packages

* $99.99 for the Playstation 2, currently $129.99

$399.99 for a fully functional Blu-ray player and next-gen high def gaming console? Not bad, not bad at all? if true.

Source: http://gamer.blorge.com/2007/09/15/more-ev...-playstation-3/