Big Suprise in Leopard?

Wow - What ever happened to having a sense of humor?

--ScottKin

Erm, I just dont expect to see crap like that on this forum. Save that for the lesser respected sites

i dont really see that much greatness from 10.5 its like the iphone... featureless but everyone buys it.... the only good thing is the time machine thing but then again windows home server you can backup all you machines!!! its not that i dont like os x i do but there isnt that much difference it 10.5 :(

i dont really see that much greatness from 10.5 its like the iphone... featureless but everyone buys it.... the only good thing is the time machine thing but then again windows home server you can backup all you machines!!! its not that i dont like os x i do but there isnt that much difference it 10.5 :(

You know, i'm inclined to side with Microsoft this time. Sure, Leopard has a few new features and a 64-bit sub-system but it's mainly eyecandy! Vista on the other hard, is mainly eye candy but the changes underneath the UI make for some massive developments forward. Yeah Mac OS X is still more advanced because of the lack of *free bloatware* and many other things but still, leopard is no where near as big an advancement forwards as I was hoping to see. :(

That aside, i'm still buying it and it is going to kick ass :p

You know, i'm inclined to side with Microsoft this time. Sure, Leopard has a few new features and a 64-bit sub-system but it's mainly eyecandy! Vista on the other hard, is mainly eye candy but the changes underneath the UI make for some massive developments forward. Yeah Mac OS X is still more advanced because of the lack of *free bloatware* and many other things but still, leopard is no where near as big an advancement forwards as I was hoping to see. :(

That aside, i'm still buying it and it is going to kick ass :p

I disagree. I think that both Vista and Leopard have improvements that aren't immediately obvious. Sure, Vista got Aero and Leopard gets a radically new take on Aqua, but what most average people don't realize is that Vista is now based on Windows Server 2003 and Leopard is now full-blown Unix.?

I think perhaps the biggest selling point of Leopard may very well be the new Finder. Use Leopard for just a day or so and I think you'll see how much better the Finder has become. Not only does it have a much better sidebar, but you can organize files so much better (it remembers positions, you can set every folder to its own display preference, etc.) and working with shared computers on your network is very, very easy. Yes, Leopard also supports new 512x512 px icons, but that's just more eye candy. What not everyone understands is that the larger icons are now part of the resolution independence of Leopard.

Does Leopard really have 300 new breakthrough features. Probably not. But I do think it's as significant of an upgrade to Tiger as Tiger was to Panther.

Yes, I know Leopard has some nice new things "under the hood" most notably the full blown Unix and x64 extensions. And yes I agree that the biggest and most useful new feature will be the new finder (god I love the new sidebar :p). For me however, Mail 3.0 is the single reason i'll upgrade to Leopard, for a simple reason, being able to check on the status of my outgoing and incoming mail :p.

Anyway how much of a performance hit do we think Leopard will cause over tiger? How drastic was it with Panther and Tiger?

@osirisX

The dock at the bottom has got the perspective right in terms of seeming to travel back into the screen however when the same dock is turned onto its side the same perspective doesn't work, therefore I think all that is required is a little change in the way the dock is drawn. No big changes just a little tweaking of the perspective.

I would attempt a mockup but I have absolutely no time.

I will be getting Leopard as from what I've seen and used so far I'm impressed.

yes vista had changes under the hood ... because windows needed it, 10.4 is already more advanced than windows in my view even with all the 'new' features in vista ... the user experience in 10.4 is far better than what vista provides.

In my view 10.5 is a real big step forward, it reenforces what is already true ... Mac OS X is the most advanced OS available ... i don't really care about the people who bitch and complain ... especially since they will be first in line when leopard hits the street next week :p

People who bitch about Macs are not informed, period.

They don't know that :

* You can plug any mouse and any mouse on any Mac

* OS X is compatible with Office 2003 suite (soon Office 2007) all of Macromedia/Adobe products

* Torrent clients do exist on Macs...

* OS X can live very well without being maintained (no need to format every 6 months, no need to defragment, no need to scan for viruses, etc.)

* Macs (more specifically iMacs), although they're expensive, come with Bluetooth, Airport, a webcam, an insane OS, the latest iLife

* Cmd+Tab does pretty much the same job Alt+Tab does

* OS X is customizeable

* OS X supports multiple buttons on a mouse

* OS X has cool (but many times useful) animations :p

* OS X is a lot more consistent and intuitive than Windows

There's a lack of knowledge on their side... If they still hate OS X, it's really fine with me, they can bitch as much as they can. Seriously. It's a real opinion based on real facts.

Others who just like to whine... be careful, because you're going to be victim of Apple sooner than you think... if Apple continue this way that is. We've got to admit they did a very good job all year long :)