'Air America' Talkshow host mugged, assaulted in NYC...

Randi Rhodes is the Victim of a Violent Attack

According to Air America Radio late night host Jon Elliott, Rhodes was beaten up pretty badly, losing several teeth and will probably be off the air for at least the rest of the week. At of late Monday night we have not able to locate any press accounts of the attack and nothing has been posted on the AAR website.

Several liberal blogs, including the Randi Rhodes Message Board and Democratic Underground have logged numerous posts on the Rhodes mugging with most of the posters expressing concern about the condition of the popular lib talker.

Morning talk host, Lionel filled in for Rhodes on Monday, but did not say anything about why she wasn?t on hand to do her show. The Randi Rhodes board reports that Sam Seder, who does a Sunday afternoon show for AAR, will be filling on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Elliott was extremely agitated when he reported on the incident. He opened his show by saying "it is with sadness that tonight I inform you that my Air America colleague Randi Rhodes was assaulted last night while walking her dog near her New York City home."

Pointing out that Rhodes was wearing a jogging suit and displayed no purse or jewelry, Elliott speculated that "this does not appear to me to be a standard grab the money and run mugging.""Is this an attempt by the right wing hate machine to silence one of our own," he asked. "Are we threatening them. Are they afraid that we're winning. Are they trying to silence intimidate us."b>

Some of blog posters also expressed concerns that the attack on Rhodes was hate crime. Other posters warned that we need more facts before any judgements are made.

According to Elliott, Rhodes was resting in her New York City apartment and was not hospitalized.

Attacks on liberal talk radio stations and their hosts are not a new thing. About a month ago a gunman fired a shot through a window at the studios of KPFT, Houston?s, Pacifica station narrowly missing a DJ who was hosting music show at the time. There is currently a $10,000 reward offered to anyone who identifies the shooteThis is not the first politically motivated attack on KPFT. More than 35 years ago, the Ku Klux Klan blew up the station's transmitters twice within the Houston station's first year on the air.

Also, according to a blogger on Democratic Underground, Thom Hartmann said on his Friday show that his auto repairman, after replacing his windshield, pointed out to him that he had three bullet holes in his caApparently, some right-wing critics of lib talk aren?t happy that conservative talk only accounts for 90% of the programming on talk radio. These whack jobs appear determined to whatever it takes to silence the opposing point of view.w.Not surprisingly, the only talk radio host killed for his political views was a liberal. In 1984, two right wing extremists gunned down Denver talk show host Alan Berg. Berg?s tragic murder was memorialized in a chilling movie Talk Radioadio

Source

While I feel horrible for Randi Rhodes...some of the comments I highlighted...are umm...well I guess I am speechless.

Air America host Randi Rhodes wasn't mugged

Tuesday, October 16th 2007, 12:28 PM

There's no truth to the rumors that Air America host Randi Rhodes was mugged near 39th St. and Park Ave. Sunday night. She is scheduled to return to the air on Thursday.

Air America radio host Randi Rhodes is temporarily off the air, but claims she was brutally attacked near her Manhattan apartment are bogus, her lawyer and a police source said today.

Fellow host Jon Elliott claimed on the liberal radio network that Rhodes had been mugged while walking her dog, Simon, on Sunday night. Elliot, who said Rhodes lost several teeth in the attack, waxed about a possible conspiracy.

"Is this an attempt by the right-wing, hate machine to silence one of our own?" he asked on the air, according to Talking Radio, a blog. "Are we threatening them? Are they afraid that we?re winning? Are they trying to silence intimidate us?"A police source said Rhodes never filed a report and never claimed to be the victim of a mugging. Cops from Manhattan's 17th Precinct called her attorney, who told them Rhodes was not a victim of a crimeb>, the source said.

Rhodes' lawyer told the Daily Newshe was injured in a fall while walking her dogb>. He said she's not sure what happened, and only knows that she fell down and is in a lot of pain. The lawyer said Rhodes expects to be back on the air Thursday. He stressed there is no indication she was targeted or that she was the victim of a "hate crime."

Rhodes started with the Air America when it launched in 2004. Her show airs from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays.

The network released a statement that said Rhodes "experienced an unfortunate incident."

"The reports of a presumed hate crime are unfounded," the statement read by a receptionist at the network's New York offices said. "Ms. Rhodes is looking forward to being back on the air on Thursday."

Still, the tale lived on in the blogosphere.

"What the %$#$ is WRONG with you people?? Are you that SICK in the head that just because you don?t agree with someone?s political views you believe that they deserve to be mugged? Are you on the right that DEMENTED??," a blogger called neddlenosehanty posted on watchingthewatchers.org.

Another blogger shot back, "I very seriously doubt if this unfortunate woman was mugged by a conservative. To jump to the conclusion that she was mugged by someone on the right is bigotry of another kind. Think not?"

No surprise that someone claimed it was an attack from the right wing. The person responsible for the original claim was filling in for her on Air America. Just trying to bash the right and get headlines as usual since they can't win any talk radio ratings war. But what should we expect when the original story (nothing against you Fresh) is from a blog?

No surprise that someone claimed it was an attack from the right wing. The person responsible for the original claim was filling in for her on Air America. Just trying to bash the right and get headlines as usual since they can't win any talk radio ratings war. But what should we expect when the original story (nothing against you Fresh) is from a blog?

Nothing taking :) Smear sites and blogs have been directing the main stream press as of late...they see a story and run with it...hardly any fact checking is done. You do realize this 'blog' was posted on The Drudge Report...once it hits the Drudge everyone (well most) knows about it.

Randi Rhodes

Randy roads! :laugh:

Wow.. somone gets mugged in NYC..

And in other exclusive news.. sand has been found abandoned on a beach alond floridas atlantic coast. Teh police are baffeled as to how it got there. A group of African american youths have been arrested for questioning.

Edited by bmaher

I think this is an example that shows neither the extreme right nor the extreme left have clean hands.

I'm not sure if it has or hasn't happened, but I cannot remember a time with a right-wing talk radio host ever made such a claim like this. If I'm incorrect, I apologize, but I personally can't remember anything like that ever happening on the right.

That is freaking hilarious. "Are they trying to silence us?" HHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. What a bunch of jackasses. Some guy at the grocery store didn't give me the correct change, he must be trying to oppress me for not being a democrat or something ridiculous.

Oh man, this has made my day thus far.

Air America is a bunch of left wing extreme fanatic conspirist nutjobs.

There's enough partisanship on the airwaves to go around. Complaining about biased liberal talk radio is absurd considering conservative radio of the same nature has an overwhelmingly larger presence.

>snip>...

conservative radio of the same nature has an overwhelmingly larger presence.

I wonder why... and will leave that for the masses to ponder... (or would that be the 'mass' that leans liberal on the radio?) nevermind, that was a biased comment.

on the other hand, I don't remember limbaugh claiming his hearing loss and addiction to pain killers were left-wing ploys to silence him, although the issue with his medical records may be an altogether different situation (and admittedly suspect).

There's enough partisanship on the airwaves to go around. Complaining about biased liberal talk radio is absurd considering conservative radio of the same nature has an overwhelmingly larger presence.

I completely disagree. 90% of the radio news I've heard is fairly moderate. Save for the religious zealot stations and NPR which has a small left lean, the majority of radio stations are pretty middle of the road. They care more about entertaining people then catering to political ideals.

I completely disagree. 90% of the radio news I've heard is fairly moderate. Save for the religious zealot stations and NPR which has a small left lean, the majority of radio stations are pretty middle of the road. They care more about entertaining people then catering to political ideals.

Talk radio is not news...it's pundits pontificating on their opinions of the news. There's a huge difference. And Toology is correct, the latest talk show numbers show an overwhelming lean to the right.

I'm not sure if it has or hasn't happened, but I cannot remember a time with a right-wing talk radio host ever made such a claim like this. If I'm incorrect, I apologize, but I personally can't remember anything like that ever happening on the right.

The extreme right constantly talk about the "liberal media" trying to silence them.

The extreme right constantly talk about the "liberal media" trying to silence them.

The Liberal Mainstream Media (CNN, ABC, NBC, MSNBC), again...what does that have to do with talkradio? The false story that floated when the lies about her being attacked were aired, were alluding to right-wing hatemongers. As if one of Rush's listeners were concerned about this nobody who's on 33 stations nationwide.

I'm pretty sure there's a big difference between saying that the liberal media is trying to silence right talk radio and claiming that someone physically attacked another person.

The real reason this is not big news, is 'who cares'. Randy is nothing but a aggressive overbearing lib. She can't stand the truth, and loves to make things up. She claimed that Daryl Parks (700wlw) set the station's transmitter on fire to keep her off the air. Turns out there was a electrical fire, and the station that was effect had not been moved to the new central broadcasting substation. Airhead America ratings were so bad, in the arbitration, there were twice as many people listening to dead air then the station, in almost all periods. She doesn't want the truth, and will not stand for it. She is the female 'Savage', all talk little truth.