30 Days of Night (2007)

Absolutely brilliant vampire film. For those who don't know anything about the film...

iy0sas.jpg

...Producer Sam Raimi brings audiences the terrifying thriller 30 Days of Night, set in the isolated town of Barrow, Alaska, in the extreme northern hemisphere, which is plunged into complete darkness annually for an entire month. When most of the inhabitants head south for the winter, a mysterious group of strangers appear: bloodthirsty vampires, ready to take advantage of the uninterrupted darkness to feed on the town's residents. As the night wears on, Barrow's Sheriff Eben, his estranged wife Stella, and an ever-shrinking group of survivors must do anything they can to last until daylight.

The big down fall to the film is that there is a lot of down time, meaning slow parts of the film. The film comes in at 1 hr. 53 min., it could have been better if they had cut some of the slow parts and made the film about 1 hr. 30-40 min.

Besides that, the film, unlike recent horror films, isn't a gorefest. It is an extremely brutal, violent film with just the right amount of gore. The storyline is awesome though, certainly beats most vampire stories out there IMO.

I highly recommend this film.

rating_4.gif

i like the idea, a more paced movie rather than all the eye candy

maybe it will be like the difference between games like hitman and stuff like painkiller? like being convincing and immersive rather than full-on type of stuff...

looks interesting, hows the music?

Loud unfortunately. The score is good, but they had it and the sound effects way to loud. Other than that, it was good.

I saw it last night. The beginning and ending were bad, but the rest was violent and entertaining.

Yeah the beginning was bad, way to slow. The ending was okay, but nothing to write home about. The meat of the film was great though.

That little girl looks hilarious. :laugh:

Unfortunately the scene with the little girl came across as very funny instead of very disturbing, as it could have been. Because we all know, kids in horror movies are inherently creepy and when you have one in a movie and it comes across as silly and not creepy, you have seriously done something wrong. haha.

I liked it. I agree that the most notable flaw was that it just felt too slow paced at times.

If you haven't read the original source material and its sequels (the graphic novels), its got a pretty cool art style... you may want to check it out if you enjoyed the film.

Unfortunately the scene with the little girl came across as very funny instead of very disturbing, as it could have been. Because we all know, kids in horror movies are inherently creepy and when you have one in a movie and it comes across as silly and not creepy, you have seriously done something wrong. haha.

I found it disturbing myself. What exactly did you find funny about it?

If you haven't read the original source material and its sequels (the graphic novels), its got a pretty cool art style... you may want to check it out if you enjoyed the film.
I just ordered 30 Day Of Night: The Complete Dark Days from Amazon.ca :D I can't wait to read it. I stopped by my local B&N today to see if they had it, but all they had was paperback and only the first two in that, but I did see the artwork, absolutely awesome.

I found it disturbing myself. What exactly did you find funny about it?

The little girl just wasn't creepy at all to me... and then when she said "I'm done playing with this one now," I just couldn't help but laugh, it just came across as silly to me. And because I was laughing at how uncreepy the girl was, her getting her head lopped off ended up not effecting me at all.

The only part of the movie that I really found that cool was when Mark Boone's character was driving around in the snow plow with the big saw thing on the front just cutting up the vampires, but then he decided to just run straight into that building for some reason, he like aimed for it, I didn't get that. But up until he crashed the thing I was loving that scene, it was awesome.

The rest of the movie just fell flat for me. The worst thing being that they didn't even take advantage of the whole "30 days" angle. They could have had a really good suspenseful story with these people trying to hide from the vampires for 30 days. Instead you get the first day, in which most of the people are killed in one big slaughter. Then you cut to day 7, then day 18, then day 27. They never really show the effect that being cooped up for 30 days has on these people, and if you aren't going to show that then what is the point of having it last 30 days, especially when you are only going to show 4 of those days? There is just nothing in the movie that makes the audience feel the passing of time with the people in the film. If they didn't put the thing up on the screen that said "Day 18" the audience would never know that any time had passed.

The gore was good for the most part but it wasn't enough to save the movie for me.

• 1 month later...

awesome movie. I wqtched it last night, and when I saw the girl I was really creeped out . And there's the other scene ( geeeeeh I was shocked. I u watched it , u'll know what I mean )... just creepy ... Best vampire movie since Blade 2, even better I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched this and boy was it gory but I loved it, those sort of movies for example "town under threat from vampires or zombies in other cases and they have to rally round" are awesome movies. Most of the deaths were brilliant and the story was cool wouldn't mind seeing what would happen next.

4/5 from me.

I just watched this and boy was it gory but I loved it, those sort of movies for example "town under threat from vampires or zombies in other cases and they have to rally round" are awesome movies. Most of the deaths were brilliant and the story was cool wouldn't mind seeing what would happen next.

4/5 from me.

You should get the graphic novels then. Awesome read :yes:

Great movie. Loved watching it, as it was a great take in the old vampire theme and it had a lot of small things, that other movies lack, that really brought it together.

• 3 months later...

Saw it the other day (yeah a bit late). Anyway really enjoyed it. I loved the fact they didn't take the easy route they could have with this movie and made it an overly dark film. For a movie set completly at night theres actually a fair bit of lighting which I'm really thankful for because I hate films that are just black.

Anyway it had it's stupid moments, but all up I really enjoyed it and it's my sort of Action/light horror film.

It was OK. The drama was probably the best part, and the action was decent (not great, not horrible). Some of the parts were just cheesy (the whole scene leading up to the ending was pretty awkward), and the storyline wasn't very well implemented unless you're a fan of the graphic novels.

Overall, they could've done worse, but they also could've done a lot better.

3/5