20yr Maple Leaf fan ... considering leaving them...

So after 20 years of watching the Leafs lose and lose and have s**t for seasons, I've decided to switch allegiances ...

I'm thinking of goin' with Boston Blackhawks or NY Rangers ...

BUT if I don't go w/ an "Original Six" I'd choose Avalanche (love their logo, and they've done good since movin' from Quebec) or Canadiens ...

Other suggestions people? I know, my fellow Toronto fans want to kill me, but after 40 YEARS of little to no winning, and 20 years of s**t seasons ... I'm sorry.

i'd personally start watching the Sharks, they look to have a wicked team. I'm a canuck fan, but i believe that San Jose is prolly gonna take the cup this year.

Traitor.

The Leafs have had 20 years of loyalty. I'm sick of a team that a) can't make the playoffs or if they do b) chokes in the first round.

The Leafs are owned by one of the RICHEST owners in the NHL : The Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan, they have over $106BILLION CAD in investments ... the team should be 10x no, 1000x better then it is. But because we toronto fans are so damn blind, we don't care if they lose. We still fill the seats. I'm sick of it. I want to chear on a team that will WIN this year. So shoot me. Leafs will be my #2 team.

The Leafs have had 20 years of loyalty. I'm sick of a team that a) can't make the playoffs or if they do b) chokes in the first round.

In the last 14 seasons, they've made the playoffs 10 times. Of those 10 times only 3 times have they been eliminated in the first round.Four> of those 10 times have they been one round away from going to the Stanley Cup Finals! So I wonder, what team have you been watching to say that they can't make the playoffs, and when they do they choke in the first round.

1992-93 Lost in Conference Finals, 3-4 (Kings)

1993-94 Lost in Conference Finals, 1-4 (Canucks)1994-95 Lost in first round

1995-96 Lost in first round

1996-97 Did not qualify

1997-98 Did not qualify>

1998-99 Lost in Conference Finals, 1-4 (Sabres)

1999-00 Lost in Conference Semifinals, 3-4 (Devils)

2000-01 Lost in Conference Semifinals, 3-4 (Devils)

2001-02 Lost in Conference Finals, 2-4 (Hurricanes)2002-03 Lost in first round>

2003-04 Lost in Conference Semifinals, 2-4 (Flyers)2005-06 Did not qualify

2006-07 Did not qualify>

I'd say you had a lot to cheer about, especially during the Pat Quinn years. What's happening now is the Leafs are paying the price for using a top-down method to build their team all those years rather than building from the farm system and up. I think what you really want is not a competitive team that goes deep in the playoffs, but a Stanley Cup winner. Cheer for the Penguins, they have a bright future.

Personally, I don't take sports seriously enough to jump off or on a bandwagon like that. It's just entertainment for me. If they do well, great something to be happy about. If they don't, no skin off my back.

Mental note: Drown Napalm in the Rideau Canal and then enjoy a beaver tail.

I don't live in Ottawa anymore, but if you wanna drag me there, I'm all for it. As long as the Beaver Tails are before the death.

But to the OP, Les Canadiens are an original six taem, so why not go with them? Then again, I despise Boston)...

See, my fav teams as a kid were the Nordiques and the North Stars, and well, look what happened to them. And living in the Toronto area, I was sick of the blind fandom, so once those two teams were gone, Ottawa it was. And so far, I haven't been disappointed, because their gameplay is just so much fun to watch (aside from the stupidity in the last bit of last year's playoffs).

So after 20 years of watching the Leafs lose and lose and have s**t for seasons, I've decided to switch allegiances ...

I'm thinking of goin' with Boston Blackhawks or NY Rangers ...

BUT if I don't go w/ an "Original Six" I'd choose Avalanche (love their logo, and they've done good since movin' from Quebec) or Canadiens ...

Other suggestions people? I know, my fellow Toronto fans want to kill me, but after 40 YEARS of little to no winning, and 20 years of s**t seasons ... I'm sorry.

Boston Blackhawks? Don't you mean Chicago:pp

The leafs suck ass I agree *glares at siggy*

Boston Blackhawks? Don't you mean Chicago :p

The leafs suck ass I agree *glares at siggy*

Well BOTH Boston Bruins and Chicago Blackhawks are "Original Six" so I missed a , *LOL*

I live in Toronto my friend.. and I can't go against my team! they do suck, and will continue to suck until people simply stop going to the games. Bring an NFL team to Canada, and watch how fast the leafs change

I live in Toronto my friend.. and I can't go against my team! they do suck, and will continue to suck until people simply stop going to the games. Bring an NFL team to Canada, and watch how fast the leafs change

The problem Lyle, is that TMLS&E is major stake owned by Ontario Teacher's Pension which has 106.x BILLION DOLLARS in assests last year. Maple Leafs can MORE then afford the $50mill. salary cap in place.

Cheer for Tampa Bay or the Penguins - I'm an Oilers fan myself (born and raised)... I love run and gun style of play. The Oilers aren't very good this year, but they have a much brighter future than Toronto - unless TML can turn up the suck for the next 2 seasons and develop their youngin's then maybe you'll go back to them in 4-5 years (which looks very possible with their current contracts). I prefere to not put too much allegiance into Canadian teams, I'll cheer for them in playoffs, but I remain emotionally detached. I'll cheer for an American team in a case where they play more exciting hockey than their counterpart eg. Tampa Bay vs Calgary. But I never would in a situation like Anaheim vs Ottawa.

EDIT: Tampa has a cool jersey, I would cheer for them personally - Penguins are too trendy, might as well put 87 on your back and say "I'm a slave to the media".

Yes they have tonnes of money. Fact is, they can only spend upto the cap limit, which they have. They have to many players with big dollar contracts. Half those being in the defense who can't seem to stop anything. They need to unload some of the big contracts.

The bigger problem is the fact they have a GM who is an idiot. Ferguson Jr. has to go so this team can start rebuilding.

Continuing to back the Leafs since 1993. Go Leafs Go!!

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAH, this guy sis further proving my point that leafs fans are the worst in the NHL (them and the nucks).

The Toronto media ends careers and every fan is an armchair GM. They give the real fans a bad name.

The problem Lyle, is that TMLS&E is major stake owned by Ontario Teacher's Pension which has 106.x BILLION DOLLARS in assests last year. Maple Leafs can MORE then afford the $50mill. salary cap in place.

Yes they are horribly mismanaged and are not on the same page. John Fegurson took some huge risks and they are coming back to haunt him. Pavel Kubina's contract is grossly inflated and can't be traded. They gave up a future goaltender to get Raycroft and he can make great saves, just not when they matter. McCabe's numbers will always be good, but he will never live up to his contract as far as Toronto is concerned (He would also be dumb NOT to take that contract). Hal Gill may not be mobile, but he does have a good +-, he's great on the PK, and would be much better if he worked on his positioning. Toskala was his best acquistion and Maurice needs to give him the nod instead of this tandem crap. He also needs to get this teams chemistry back or its, "There's always next year," again.

Edit: Looks like napalm updated his sig and avatar to hurt my eyes. Well player, sir.:pp

Yup, promoting my team. I was ridiculously hardcore into hockey up until about 1998. I could list any stat from 1917 up until then. However, hockey since that time just hasn;t been the same, and I drifted off for a decade. Only now I'm getting back into it full-swing. Shame I only have access to Leafs games though, that doesn't help.

every fan is an armchair GM. They give the real fans a bad name.

Every sports franchise has fans like that, it happens in every city. Have you ever been to Yankee stadium? They even boo A-Rod (arguably the best player in baseball) when he's not "performing" to their expectations. North American sports fans are very mild compared to European/South American soccer fans.

I put the TML in the Red Sox, Cubs, Yankees and Lakers category. People will go see these teams regardless of the quality.

Googintosh: From what I've heard and read, North America is Mickey Mouse compared to the areas you mentioned.

Napalm Frog: That is a shame. I have to suffer through it, while you get grade a comedy.

Googintosh: From what I've heard and read, North America is Mickey Mouse compared to the areas you mentioned.

Napalm Frog: That is a shame. I have to suffer through it, while you get grade a comedy.

One of my goals in life is to go to a soccer game in England. I watch them on TV all the time and the fans are just crazy. Not to mention my favorite movie is Green Street Hooligans :). Check it out

Napalm: get Rogers Digital + NHL and you should be able to get Ottawa games.

I want to believe Toronto will do well, but, I know otherwise. Ottawa has always been my 3rd fave team (Toronto -> Montreal -> Ottawa -> Edmonton -> Chicago are my top 5 ...) I may get an Oilers hat today at Lids...

In the last 14 seasons, they've made the playoffs 10 times. Of those 10 times only 3 times have they been eliminated in the first round. Four of those 10 times have they been one round away from going to the Stanley Cup Finals! So I wonder, what team have you been watching to say that they can't make the playoffs, and when they do they choke in the first round.

1992-93 Lost in Conference Finals, 3-4 (Kings)

1993-94 Lost in Conference Finals, 1-4 (Canucks)

1994-95 Lost in first round

1995-96 Lost in first round

1996-97 Did not qualify

1997-98 Did not qualify

1998-99 Lost in Conference Finals, 1-4 (Sabres)

1999-00 Lost in Conference Semifinals, 3-4 (Devils)

2000-01 Lost in Conference Semifinals, 3-4 (Devils)

2001-02 Lost in Conference Finals, 2-4 (Hurricanes)

2002-03 Lost in first round

2003-04 Lost in Conference Semifinals, 2-4 (Flyers)

2005-06 Did not qualify

2006-07 Did not qualify

I'd say you had a lot to cheer about, especially during the Pat Quinn years. What's happening now is the Leafs are paying the price for using a top-down method to build their team all those years rather than building from the farm system and up. I think what you really want is not a competitive team that goes deep in the playoffs, but a Stanley Cup winner. Cheer for the Penguins, they have a bright future.

Personally, I don't take sports seriously enough to jump off or on a bandwagon like that. It's just entertainment for me. If they do well, great something to be happy about. If they don't, no skin off my back.

Funny how he conveniently ignores this post of your's.