PS3 misconceptions and spin

Pick the console you like best for the games, who cares about everything else?

I personally just bought a Gamecube (no money for a Wii atm). Why? I wanted to play games like Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life, Pikmin 2, and SSB Melee. Now, I could've picked up a PS2 or an Xbox at the same price with the same amount of games and superior hardware (sorta), but to me the experience on the GC with the games I like is uncomparable.

I realize that the next-gen war is a bit more complex (HD format support, online, etc), but even then, take whatever you think you'll like best. Some people like the 360, some like the PS3. I personally want a Wii, then maybe an X360. Only reason I don't really want a PS3 is because I don't see any games that attract me, while on the X360 I have Viva Pi?ata, among others, and the Wii promises the future generation of all my beloved GC games (SSB Brawl, Pikmin 3, Harvest Moon Wii, etc). Now, this isn't a bad thing just because the Wii is basically a supd up version of the Gamecube with a sensor bar and significantly weaker than both the PS3 and X360, plus it has no significant online experience and lacks HD support (or support for any of the future HD format playback for that matter). But oh well, it's what'll entertain me more.

I don't think you can label one or the other "better". Maybe "more powerful", but what's better depends on personal preference.

Pick the console you like best for the games, who cares about everything else?

I personally just bought a Gamecube (no money for a Wii atm). Why? I wanted to play games like Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life, Pikmin 2, and SSB Melee. Now, I could've picked up a PS2 or an Xbox at the same price with the same amount of games and superior hardware (sorta), but to me the experience on the GC with the games I like is uncomparable.

I realize that the next-gen war is a bit more complex (HD format support, online, etc), but even then, take whatever you think you'll like best. Some people like the 360, some like the PS3. I personally want a Wii, then maybe an X360. Only reason I don't really want a PS3 is because I don't see any games that attract me, while on the X360 I have Viva Pi?ata, among others, and the Wii promises the future generation of all my beloved GC games (SSB Brawl, Pikmin 3, Harvest Moon Wii, etc). Now, this isn't a bad thing just because the Wii is basically a supd up version of the Gamecube with a sensor bar and significantly weaker than both the PS3 and X360, plus it has no significant online experience and lacks HD support (or support for any of the future HD format playback for that matter). But oh well, it's what'll entertain me more.

I don't think you can label one or the other "better". Maybe "more powerful", but what's better depends on personal preference.

But that's not really what this article is about. Of course you should pick the system that has the games you like to play. I also used the Gamecube as an example. However, there are some people choosing a game system based on marketing spin that is showing to be false. A lot of people say on forums that the PS3 is the most powerful of the new-gen systems, that it'll have the best graphics, etc. A discussion against it is usually replied with "you are not a programmer so you don't know." Well, this is a programmer. Unfortunately, now it's "he has a problem with Sony" which is the same thing that was said of Gabe Newell (who was even attacked for his weight about it).

I'll say it one more time. If it has games you like, sure, buy it. But don't say it will have games that'll look better than the competition or that Blu-ray will alllow games not possible on other consoles. Just like people buying the Gamecube for its quirky games, people will buy the PS3 for its 1st party titles.

Damn, this was entertaining reading for a while, then you buttmunches got all lovey-dovey and crap.

I'll simply toss in that there are no 360 console exclusives that interest me, that won't be out for PC (or aren't already). I have a rig that can handle the games as well or better than the 360, so I'm happy with that. Oddly, I bought this PC for school, didn't even think about it for gaming.

The same cannot be said for the PS3. I also do enjoy the addition of the Blu-Ray player, and that (along with wi-fi) was a factor in my purchase.

Ok, back to whatever it is you were doing.

Yep, there's so much BS talk going on, the only real discussions I enjoy participating in are the HD DVD/BD discussions. Those are interesting and the result is going to be interesting to watch.

People who buy a console don't buy it because others say so, it's basically on their own opinion and there own decision.

Yep, there's so much BS talk going on, the only real discussions I enjoy participating in are the HD DVD/BD discussions. Those are interesting and the result is going to be interesting to watch.

People who buy a console don't buy it because others say so, it's basically on their own opinion and there own decision.

I agree there are some people who would say "The PS3 will have MGS4/FFXIII/(whatever game) and so I want to buy it." But to think that there were no people that bought it because they heard (wether from Sony or on a forum or word of mouth) that it was or will be the best console is completely mistaken. That's all this article is trying to dispel. If anything this is trying to get rid of the BS talk.

I agree there are some people who would say "The PS3 will have MGS4/FFXIII/(whatever game) and so I want to buy it." But to think that there were no people that bought it because they heard (wether from Sony or on a forum or word of mouth) that it was or will be the best console is completely mistaken. That's all this article is trying to dispel. If anything this is trying to get rid of the BS talk.

I get it, I get it... the 360 is a gift from heaven, HD-DVD is clearly the superior format and has always been. Whatever console Microsoft releases next, we should all buy it. Sony are arrogant bastards who lie constantly while Microsoft are saints who do everything right. I should be ashamed for looking forward to Uncharted next month... afterall, for every AAA title on the PS3, there are at least 20 much better ones on the 360.

All together now... praise the 360, competition is bad bad bad.. hallelujah

But that's not really what this article is about. Of course you should pick the system that has the games you like to play. I also used the Gamecube as an example. However, there are some people choosing a game system based on marketing spin that is showing to be false. A lot of people say on forums that the PS3 is the most powerful of the new-gen systems, that it'll have the best graphics, etc. A discussion against it is usually replied with "you are not a programmer so you don't know." Well, this is a programmer. Unfortunately, now it's "he has a problem with Sony" which is the same thing that was said of Gabe Newell (who was even attacked for his weight about it).

I'll say it one more time. If it has games you like, sure, buy it. But don't say it will have games that'll look better than the competition or that Blu-ray will alllow games not possible on other consoles. Just like people buying the Gamecube for its quirky games, people will buy the PS3 for its 1st party titles.

Alright, and I totally agree with you there :)

All together now... praise the 360, competition is bad bad bad.. hallelujah

Praise the 360, competition is bad bad bad, hallelujah!!1! :D

Oh, wait, you were being sarcastic :unsure: