Need help converting HDTV to divx with VirtualDubMpeg2

I bought a new HDTV tuner (Pinnacle PCTV HD Card...awesome btw), and recorded some stuff from QAM to "native format" (as the software calls it). Which means I get just over 6gb/hr.

I have tried a few different ways of encoding it to divx, but I am having a huge pain with the audio side of it (errors).

If I use divx converter, it converts, but the quality sucks and you are extremely limited on options to make it any better (besides very high bitrates)

When I try VirtualDub-Mpeg2, it errors saying

Error initializing audio stream compression:

The audio codec cannot compress the source audio to the desired format.

Check that the sampling rate and number of channels in the source is compatible with the selected compressed audio format.

Virtual Dub shows that I should be able to use AC-3 ACM 128kbit/s, 48000Hz, 5.1 channels for audio, but it doesnt work, obviously :p

My goal is to get the hour shows down near the quality of the hour HD shows that have been compressed to around 350mb, but still have high quality (which I am fairly confident the video settings i have are giving me that in vdub), but the audio is killing me! I have tried forcing the Lame Mp3 codec to work, but vdub doesnt seem to like it (videos never work and end up around 56mb all black video and no audio.....). Maybe an example is http://stage6.divx.com/HDTV of what I am talking about for a goal, but i havent found a specific example since they seem to distort the resolution there

GSpot of the video:

99729450lb5.jpg

Any ideas? I have been trying on and off for a few days and it's bugging me that I can't get it to work...seems like it is something simple I am missing :p

Thanks

-Doug

Perhaps you don't want to try this but there is a newer codec on the block called H.264/MPEG-4 AVC. It is supposed to be a ton better than divx/xvid in that you can obtain better quality with a much smaller file size. I'd highly recommend you give it a try. There is a good graphical program called Handbrake that will allow you to take mpg's (from a DVD or just an mpg file) and convert them into the new codec (which can be saved as an mp4, ogm, or mkv). The audio can be AAC, AC3, MP3, or OGG. AAC is supposed to be really good (great quality with small file size).

Just a suggestion. Sorry I can't help out other than recommend a different method.

If you tell us exactly which program you used to compress the video/audio, it could give us a hint as to how it compresses the audio. Some programs compress the audio using codecs that are unpopular, or are only supported by large commercial products.

If you tell us exactly which program you used to compress the video/audio, it could give us a hint as to how it compresses the audio. Some programs compress the audio using codecs that are unpopular, or are only supported by large commercial products.

Well, it is in the title and in the post :p VirtualDub-Mpeg2 is what I am using...going to give the program above a shot tonight

Edit: Tried handbrake, unfortunatly it doesnt like the video files :(

Edited by SkyyPunk

Well, it is in the title and in the post :p VirtualDub-Mpeg2 is what I am using...going to give the program above a shot tonight

Edit: Tried handbrake, unfortunatly it doesnt like the video files :(

There are lots of programs to encode into H.264. Handbrake seems to be the easiest to use and it gives me really good video quality. But Handbrake only does certain types of video files.

Look here for some H.264 video encoders. Specifically SUPER and MeGUI are supposed to be really good. Both of those should definitely support your video file.

I am glad you are looking into H.264. I really do think it will take over divx/xvid as "the codec".

Ok, what formats is the video/audio exactly? is it plain MPEG2 and AC3?, it might be an issue with the container which is causing HandBrake to act up (it should support those formats perfectly)

I am glad you are looking into H.264. I really do think it will take over divx/xvid as "the codec".

Here's hoping, DivX/Xvid are modded forms of MPEG4 ASP, while H.264 is MPEG4 AVC, harder to decode but nicer looking.

Or maybe it will end up like MP3 vs. AAC

Ok, what formats is the video/audio exactly? is it plain MPEG2 and AC3?, it might be an issue with the container which is causing HandBrake to act up (it should support those formats perfectly)

Here's hoping, DivX/Xvid are modded forms of MPEG4 ASP, while H.264 is MPEG4 AVC, harder to decode but nicer looking.

Or maybe it will end up like MP3 vs. AAC

The screenshot of gspot is above which should show any relevant info to the video/audio :)

Ill try MeGUI tomorrow, probably wont have time tonight

Thanks for all the suggestions so far :D