Bought the 8800GT

Got mine a little over a week ago. This thing runs HOT compared to my old 7950GT. Also when playing AOE III for over 20 minutes the screen goes black, but the game music still plays. About 30 seconds after the blackness the machine reboots. Doesn't happen when I insert the old card. Ordered a PCI slot cooler to try and help and I'm keeping my eyes open for custom Zalman fans for this card.

That happened to me with my BFG 8800gt OC , try setting the fan speed to around 60% and it should fix your problem.

That happened to me with my BFG 8800gt OC , try setting the fan speed to around 60% and it should fix your problem.

I've played a couple of hours of Bioshock last night and did not have any problem. I'm running it at 1680x1050, DX10 and I don't remember the fan getting loud.... So no problem here!!

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot using NTune and see what happens.

hey guys,

i've been wanting to buy one for weeks... does anyone know where to get one in toronto? everywhere is sold out. i want an evga card by the way

also, whats the difference (not in speed) between the versions like superclocked and ko? i know that the are both warranty-guaranteed at those speeds but arent they just the same cards with one being more overclocked or flashed than the other?

thanks

- justin

How does Crysis play with it?

Judging from most of the reviews, it doesn't play that well at MAX.

Judging from most of the reviews, it doesn't play that well at MAX.

Ok will wait for a better gpu from nVidia

Lol, yeah it's frustrating for those of us who bought a GTS 320MB just before the GT came out, but I find it comforting at least to think that

1) I've been enjoying my computer for longer than if I had waited for the GT

2) GTs aren't available anywhere in Canada so I would still be waiting

3) A GT wouldn't bring max performance where the GTS doesn't cut it - ie: in Crysis

4) I got the best deal available at the time of purchase and still prices for the GTS 320MB haven't diminished significantly.

Well, I just got 8800GT and have been playing around with it - benchmarks at stock are on par with my 8800GTS 320MB overclocked (650/875). I've managed to get it up to 720/1700/975, which boosts me nicely. Crysis performs noticeably better (now in high) but it is still far from great; with Team Fortress 2 it allows me to run Very High textures, whereas before it would hitch occasionally. So a reasonable improvement over the GTS but nothing radical.

Just ordered an xfx 256mb 8800gt from scan.co.uk, cant beat ?117 delivered:)) Should be with me next week sometime

The VRAM is not going to be good enough for high resolutions - hope you've thought of that.

Otherwise, good to go(Y))

Radish?

Just ordered an xfx 256mb 8800gt from scan.co.uk, cant beat ?117 delivered:)) Should be with me next week sometime

I seriously suggest you buy a 512MB version at least. 256MB will be a big bottleneck for the card if you wish to run at high detail/resolution. The card can deliver much much better performance with at least 512MB of ram. I'd cancel the purchase asap and get a 512mb version.

At 1280x1024 or even up to 1680x1050 the performance difference will be very very minmal. I ordered 2 256mb 8800gt's roll on awsome performance:D

Future games, might not now but in he future games that will happen. You don't buy the card to play games of today only but for he upcoming 2years or so.

Yes I have a Zotac 8800GT OC and it kicks butt :)

pc_8800gt_8800gts_sizes.jpg

I sold the 320MB 8800GTS below it on ebay for ?157 ....KEKE!

13,000 in 3dmark06 on VISTA !

What's the rest of your system like ?

The stock coolers look nice compared to the dual slot ones! They are slim and look neat. Not sure if I should keep waiting for the 9000 series, or get a ATI 3870.

How loud are the coolers on the 8800GT stock coolers? I'm thinking of getting this or this but I'm a bit wary of it as I have an 8600GT "OC edition" and it's incredibly loud, hence why I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Also, is the latter worth the extra ?15 for just 50Mhz more? I won't be doing any overclocking but I will be playing Crysis on it.