NeowinCAST News Edition for October 31, 2007

You guys say yay, while the perfectionist in me spends time thinking about how I wish I could go back and rephrase a few things, shorten a few areas while embellishing on other points and so on lol. This is why I hated editing. I can't listen to the show if I wish to maintain my sanity. :p

Eurgh. I hate editing.

1hr45mins now, but we're getting there. 75% of the way probably.

Not to sound ignorant but what actually goes on for editing, I mean what do you edit? background noise? etc...

Not to sound ignorant but what actually goes on for editing, I mean what do you edit? background noise? etc...

We make full cuts and such. Someone stutters? (I do a lot) It gets removed. Screwed up word? Removed. The editing for the NeowinCAST is basically the same kind of editing that gets done to a TV show, minus the video. It's a lot of tedious work. Basically, you have to play it through and stop on every mistake, select the portion of the wave form, delete it, rewind a little, play through that part to make sure the edit is clean, and then continue the process until the end of the show.

It's any recording difficulties where we had to re-record a segment because something went wrong, or where we lost our train of thought and decided to just restart our commentary... any clicks of microphones, any background noise or additional 'umms' and 'errs' where it's overly distracting (though keeping the natural feel of the conversation - generally we leave them in but occasionally they'd be very noticeable).

Then editing in the intro music, the outtro music, the voicemails. Then sorting out volume levels, compressing the audio to MP3, adding ID3 tags and embedding a graphic in there for iTunes... updating the XML feed...

Lol, we posted at the same time. To sum it up: Post production is A LOT of work. It's the reason why a lot of podcasts die off and the main reason ours has died off so many times before coming back.

Special guests are something we'll consider down the road, though I'm not sure beating the life out of the Neowin beginning story would be the way to go.

Right now, our sole focus is a consistent release cycle. Being there's only two of us, scheduling is much easier and we don't have to deal with any of the issues we had before with people with poor connections, mics worse than the piece of garbage I have, and restrictive schedules. It's also difficult to find someone we both have a decent chemistry with. Thankfully, Rob and I bounce off each other pretty well and can pretty much free flow without having to worry about losing the other. That's not always the case with others.

I don't want it to seem like I'm blindly shooting down ideas, though. I just know that we need to keep this relatively simple if we wish to make it last. We've already had a number of suggestions that would have increased the workload considerably while adding little value and I know some are left with a bitter taste in their mouths when we pass on an idea. Please just understand that there are boundaries we wish to abide by, for now, for the sake of getting the show out weekly.

We actually have a pretty good email/PM from a listener who signed up, seemingly, just to contact us.

Heh, tis fine, ideas are ideas, if they are not followed, I'm not going to be hurt, maybe cry in bed at night, but otherwise fine. :p

Sounds like a lot of stuff to do for editing, thank heavens we have such dedicated team doing it. :rofl:

Eurgh. I hate editing.

1hr45mins now, but we're getting there. 75% of the way probably.

Sounds like its going to be one long show o.O....YEY! :D

Then editing in the intro music, the outtro music, the voicemails. Then sorting out volume levels, compressing the audio to MP3, adding ID3 tags and embedding a graphic in there for iTunes... updating the XML feed...

Yey album art stuffs! :cool:

Lol, we posted at the same time. To sum it up: Post production is A LOT of work. It's the reason why a lot of podcasts die off and the main reason ours has died off so many times before coming back.

But you have such a following now, you wouldn't want to let us down. :p

Heh it'll be a 45min show as usual but yes - it's the following that keeps us motivated. Chris+I might like the sound of our own voice (!) but I sure wouldn't do the editing if it weren't for you guys ;)

But you have such a following now, you wouldn't want to let us down. :p

I honestly have no idea how many listeners we have, but the thought of losing anyone we've managed to hook is what's gotten Rob and I through a show or two already, for sure. You can schedule the show, but you can't predict when you're going to have a bad day at work or something along those lines. Knowing people are waiting to listen to us talk is a bit weird, but also motivational.

I appreciate the work you put into these shows plus the stuff you chat and discuss is stuff I am really into so it is good.

That's the ultimate goal. Honestly, I'm a pretty poor public speaker and my attention span is way too short to do the show, but I just like the idea of being able to create a discussion. Getting users to contribute now with the voicemails and emails is an important aspect, to me. It means that, at least, one of the topics discussed will be something that someone wants to hear about.

Yea, updates are cool.

And we love to listen to your voices as well, so it's not just you. :p

And id also like to point out its always good to hear a Podcast traversing the Atlantic in that out of you two is from the UK. *waves his little flag* a bunch of Podcasts that I have listened to have people from one country.

Hi guys

Looking forward to the new one :)

Can I make a constructive criticism. The content is great, however when Rob speaks the volume for his parts is considerably louder than BanBangs'. I'm not sure if i'm the only one it bothers, but I listen to it in bed late at night then all of a sudden it'll go a lot louder, and annoy my flatmates, lol.

Keep up the great work :)

Si