Transferring Exchange 2003 to a new Server

Well... You could copy the Information Store, by file or by NTBACKUP.

But, at which point does the authentication fail?

Logon?

Send/Recieve?

What is the exact error message your clients are receiving?

What does the event log say? Both client, and server.

Did you compare the Virtual SMTP Connector on the new server, to the old server's Virtual SMTP Connector?

Did you try to shutdown each of the exchange services on the old server - one by one, to see which one are causing the authentication to fail on the new server?

Did you check up with your networking department? maybe the server are placed in a DMZ with strict firewall rules.

I would only recommend to re-install the system, as an last option.

Also, did you follow the guide/document at Microsoft i posted about?

By following the guide your public folders should have been replicated to the new server.

I did compare the Virtual SMTP Connector on both servers, and they're both the same... unless you're talking about the Connectors folder under the First Administrative Group in which case that folder is empty.

When I go back to the office this afternoon I will get an exact copy of the error message and try shutting down

services individually.

Also just for the curiosity, you did apply the exchange service packs (SP1+SP2) on the new server?

Else, that could give problems.

Regarding your off-site IMAP clients, and OWA - Im pretty much sure that, it's a firewall issue.

Please check, to see if you can access OWA from the server (local).

Recarding Public Folders, check the replication -

(Enable -> Display routing groups)

(Enable -> Display administrative groups)

"System Manager -> Administrative Groups -> First Administrative Group -> Folders -> Public Folders"

Check some of them (Public Folders), to see if they are replicated to the new server (Check by Replication tab, it should say "In Sync" if you didnt remove your old server yet).

And check the Status tab.

Also just for the curiosity, you did apply the exchange service packs (SP1+SP2) on the new server?

Else, that could give problems.

Regarding your off-site IMAP clients, and OWA - Im pretty much sure that, it's a firewall issue.

Please check, to see if you can access OWA from the server (local).

Recarding Public Folders, check the replication -

(Enable -> Display routing groups)

(Enable -> Display administrative groups)

"System Manager -> Administrative Groups -> First Administrative Group -> Folders -> Public Folders"

Check some of them (Public Folders), to see if they are replicated to the new server (Check by Replication tab, it should say "In Sync" if you didnt remove your old server yet).

And check the Status tab.

I did apply both service packs to the system after I formatted and installed Exchange.

How can I make sure I access the exchange site locally?

And for public folders, I did enable the replication to the new server during the migration, and most of them did say In Sync then... but now some say modified locally on both servers. I have since removed the replication on the old mail server though.

Now more problems... this really screwed stuff up, this is why I asked them to give me more time to prepare...

One of our off site directors was having trouble logging onto his e-mail account, then he had trouble VPN'ing in. I think I just resolved that right now, but I really want to uninstall Exchange from the old mail server now to see if it will sort any of these problems out by itself.

Good :)

http://127.0.0.1/exchange would be the local OWA.

Try - before and after, stopping the exchange services on the old server.

Hmm, it should be okay with the replication for the public folders.

I went onto the old mail server and tried to access the exchange site locally, it asked for credentials, then it attempted to redirect to the new server and I got a HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized error.

I tried to access the exchange site locally on the new mail server, and it doesn't ask for credentials but I still get the HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized error.

Please check the exchange enabled users i AD.

Check to see if they are showing the correct storage group - should be the new server.

And take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293386

Yeah, all those settings are correct... I think I'm going to try the uninstall procedure on the old mail server... if it doesn't fix anything or makes it not work at all... I can use exMerge to backup the mailboxes/folders that have been moved to the new mail server right?

How many mailboxes are we talking about?

Anyway, i wouldnt use exmerge, as you would loose the single instance storage - I would, again, rather use NTBACKUP to backup the informaton store (Or even by copying the files containing the information store database).

Read...

http://www.msexchange.org/articles/Underst...tion-Store.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174197

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchan...Strategies.html

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchan...e-NTBACKUP.html

Wow, sorry about all the different directions... the issue was resolved last night. I had forgotten to check a couple of boxes in the authentication requirements of IIS on mail2, which were enabled on mail1.

I also spoke with my university's CIS department and had the right ports opened to the new mail server (mail2) so now mail works outside of the network as well.

My last problem, is that public folders are having problems remotely, but not internally... when I go through OWA and try to open public folders, I get an error but all it says is "Unknown Error, 400"