What to get as a gift for a 18 year old girl?

Hi guys, gift for a girl thread ;)

Ok my friend - really cool girl. Not g/f or anything although we did it once. Anyways, she is in Italy, I'm in London.

It was her birthday a few months back, she is 18. I havn't seen her for like a year now which is the longest we havn't seen coz I havn't been there in one year and she went on some study exchange to USA for 1 year.

So I am going to Italy for Christmas and I want to get her something REALLLYYY cool. PResent/gift wise - Like a super combo birthday/christmas present

Budget wise - just throw ideas lol

I was thinking something like the Pink ipod with engraving in it - but that's boring

I want something interesting

Anyone see anything online interesting? A gift for a girl? She is a typical girl, normal stuff like boys/shopping/clothes/fashion -

Any thoughts or sites you lot know I could browse?

She's legal now, buy her something you need to be legal for :shifty:

On the serious side: I wouldn't go with an ipod.. way to friggin' expensive and she probably already has one.

Try making it simple, thoughtful, non-standard and especially personal.

As long as you stay away from woot.com to find exactly the right geek deal, its ok.

edit:

+1 on njlouch's post!

Someone you haven't seen in a year. Well that rules iPod out - because I don't care about distance, if someone means that much, then you travel.

So, she's Italian too...

I would suggest this: Buy her nothing. Seriously. Arrange a nice meal out, then maybe some tickets to a good club or wine bar. I say tickets so you can queue jump and be treated a little better. I think giving time and having a nice night out would be better received than any trinket.

So if a meal is standard, take it a notch above.

Seems to me that you want her to see how much money you are spending and how you can shower her with gifts?

Please correct me, because that is really lame if so!

if she's a good friend then you should already know what she likes or dislikes. Why are you asking a bunch of people you don't even know you or her?

Edited by bibutteryboy

guys, calm down!

hes just asking a good question.

everybody knows the situation when they might need some input...

some ask friends, some ask strangers, some both... what the freak is wrong about reaching a lot of people?

one of us might have seen/thinks of something, he didn't.

it doesnt matter for him whether a good idea came from a stranger or a friend as long as its good.

he still can decide whether to buy it or not.

be more tolerant. give input or let it be and don't junk this thread so it will be a discussion thread whether that is a good or a bad idea to ask us, which would disappoint him only and not help him.

this is a help thread, open a second one to discuss the idea itself.

@OP:

if you want to give her something special, I'd add some nice flowers to my list if i were you.

it doesnt have to be roses, although they are classic and you cant really go wrong with them.

i aggree, a perfume is a nice idea :)

Glassed Silver:mac

edit: / addition:

don't think he wants to shower her with gifts in order to make her think hes rich and buys her $tuff.

that is a prejudice and not just. if he really wants to give her gifts for that reason, then its his problem, really.

as long as he doesn't make it obvious by saying that or really leaving no doubts we should just say he does and refuse to help!

^^ hahahahaha .........ya he will surely ... the guys is working on P4 with 256 RAM and u r asking him to gift QUADCORE .......

If you really want to do something nice for her. Make it personal and organise it yourself. An example of this might be, if you have a nice picture of the two of you together somewhere special. Get it framed, pack it up and send it to her with card attached. Cost you 10x less, have 10x more effect.

Just going on from your iPod idea, how about a Nintendo DS? Girls seem to love them and it's not really overly geeky or inappropriate. If you choose a suitable game that you know she'll like it's sort of personal at the same time. You may have to think about power adapters and crap though, but the actual DS's are region free.

I always find it hard to know what to buy for people, even my bf of three years, my parents and my best friends from childhood. People are being somewhat rude, some people lack imagination and find this sort of thing hard.

Anyway, I liked nik's idea.

If you want to buy a something, then you need to find something that she lacks and would appreciate - and that would probably require asking her!